Roger checks in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjrog

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Let me first apologize to staff and old friends, life has really been in my way... And, I took a break. I hope to be around a bit more again. I miss helping the new knee folks!!!

To those that don't know me, I had a Stryker Triathlon installed in November of 2010. I did all my PT, and have a friend in that therapist. I left therapy better than 140* ROM. And have kept it. I worked my tail off to get it, and I use it daily.

Trust me new friends. When everything works right, amazing things happen.

Seven months after replacement, I did something really stupid. But I gave it lots of thought.
ai581.photobucket.com_albums_ss253_neonrog_Stuff_gonnagetyasmall.jpg
Yes, I jumped off the back of an ATV... No swelling, and it didn't hurt... Yes, I got away with it.

I just thought I would check back in and see how folks are doing.
ai581.photobucket.com_albums_ss253_neonrog_Stuff_20150602_123659_zps1h2shpud.jpg
And to show, with lots of patience, I can kneel on hard surfaces, and my knee does NOT slow me down... Yes, I still have all my ROM and a bit more than I left PT with. This was shot just today.

I believe many of the new folks can do this too. Patience and time. But never stop moving... Nine months after knee replacement, I broke my back in a bicycle crash. Rods and screws put me back together again.

And I am pleased to announce that I am back on my bicycles... Yes... Plural.
ai581.photobucket.com_albums_ss253_neonrog_Bikes_a057b057_078673cfe21921871be9bc50262999e6a690.jpg
The bike I crashed on. Refurbished. Checked for safety....

And a surprise that got me riding...
ai581.photobucket.com_albums_ss253_neonrog_Bikes_ACCESS_20XCL9R_20140817_1713571_zps6d3e8841.jpg
A 29er Mountain Bike. Sent to me by a kid we fostered 20 years ago, I got him riding bicycles, and he sent me this to return the favor... Talk about making a big man cry...

Yes friends, Roger is still here and over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear from you and see how well you are doing. :biking:
What a great feeling it must have been to receive such a wonderful gift.

Roger, what a great story---I think that folks who foster a child are giving the world a chance at a future. Thanks for giving the kid a chance.

KELLY!!!! Oh my goodness. When he reached out to us a couple years ago, it was amazing to meet his wife and kids... But when he sent me that bicycle.... Oh my. It was so unexpected, but it got me motivated to ride again.

I don't even really think about my knee. I fell a couple weeks ago, was more worried about my back, but scraped my leg... Now I need to get my fat self back into shape so I can try and run again. The last couple years have been interesting in a not fun way.

You seem to be like me--with one speed---FAST!!! I just wrote the lastest story of my dogs running me down and flipping me into the air---in a thread called " Crazy Fall Stories!!" maybe you have some material for that thread!

Hi Roger, its always good to hear the success stories and fantastic encouragement to the Bonesmart newbies. And what a wonderful gift from your foster child. Have fun on the new bike.

We had wondered what happened to him over the years, it was good to be back in touch and we stay in touch. As good as family...

Chris, it's good to be back in the fold here. I all but lived in here for a while it seemed. I don't have that sort of time to offer again, but I hope to inspire others...

Kelly, I get slowed down, that back injury bugs me worse at times than I care to admit. But when I do get moving, it's always full speed ahead.

Margaret, I remember when you originally joined. Glad to see you still here!

Roger!!! My friend.....so good to hear from you. And those latest photos...priceless!!! Any time you can spend here chatting with our new members will be appreciated so very much. We've missed you.

Thanks Jamie. I went to see my PT the other day to get my neck wrenched on, but he wasn't in. Instead, I talked with a knee guy, 2 months out and thinking he was wasting time in PT... He was only at 125* or so and thinking he was good to do it all on his own. I told him he needed to finish, because... In 4 years or so he ought to be able to do this... And I dropped to my knees like the pic above. He will be doing all his therapy and asked a lot more questions. And I realized I missed my BoneSmarties!!!!!

Wife's health issues have been a drain on me and more hospital and nursing home stays... Broke her Pelvis New Years Eve morning, and spent three and a half months in physical rehab...

But getting back on my bicycles has improved MY outlook so that's something. In addition to those two, I refurbished an older mountain bike that was nearly top of the line in 1989 and I lusted for. Rides nice still. And I'm updating my first good quality bicycle with new stuff that I couldn't afford for it in it's day. AND. Refurbished a thrift store bike for a friend's babysitter, she decided to quit smoking and get healthy. Glad to help.

Oh Roger - how lovely to hear from you! And more photos! I still have this one which I used at a paper I gave at the British Orthopaedic Association conference last year....

zrog 1.JPG

And your recovery thread is still in the Stories of amazing knee recoveries here Roger's new knee 10 months out.

How well you are doing!

But I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Please give her our regards and hopes that she will improve soon.

What a great TKR success story! Have fun out there on the road and trail- I ♡ my cyclocross bike and my 29er.

Speaking as one of the newbies (5 weeks post-surgery), I love reading your story! It's so helpful for us to hear about great outcomes when we're still in the midst of our own recoveries.

Well done!

Roxie

Great to hear how well you've been doing @zjrog !

@Josephine, that humbles me beyond words. Should have shown them the jump off the ATV!!!

@Clipless, That 29er is something else. I had given my old Gary Fisher MTB to my son. Couldn't stand to look at it. The 29er got me rolling , but it's nice to have it, and another old MTB I wanted when I couldn't afford it. It will be as close to original as possible someday, but its' a good ride.

@Kansas Teacher, Roxie, if I may... I'm a Kansas boy, From west of Topeka. Just never made it back after the Navy... I came to BS to understand why I still had some swelling and pain a few months after surgery. I had a fantastic therapist (saw him today to work my neck). People need to know that years later things get better. BUT. You have to do the PT, you have to do the work. And you have to keep MOVING!!!!

@KarriB, I can't say for certain. Sometime during therapy during my back recovery I was on my knees on the padded bench at therapy. PT asked when I started doing that... Don't know... It's been in the last 18 months or so when I started spending more time on hard surfaces. Yes, doing it on purpose. It doesn't hurt. It still feels, weird.

@kneeper, I realized I needed to get back here and try and inspire more. Over 4 years out. I don't want anyone to see replacement as a hinderance... My buddy Neil is a hiking MONSTER this year, 3 years after double replacement and fixing his Valgus...

Knee replacement and recovery taught me the patience I needed later for my back recovery. Far more challenging. I don't fully fit in with the spine injury crowd, as I'm not diminished in capability. And I'm not learning to walk or anything so the spinal cord injury camp isn't home either.

I've gained weight due to stress eating and bad food habits. Time to reverse that if I can. Hard to do with my wife's continued health issues. But getting more on the bike should help. Still terrified of hills...

Send your wife our best wishes.

Roger, I would have but I didn't want to give the knee surgeons heart attacks! :heehee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017