Bilateral THR Roemadison'e Recovery Thread

Roemadison

Country
United States United States
I had BTHR surgery at noon today and was in my room recovering by 5:00. My pain is at a consistent 2- unbelievable.
I have already walked to the bathroom and back to bed. This feels too good to be true!

Waiting to see what changes tomorrow. Hoping for a good nights sleep!

Hello @Roemadison - and :welome:to recovery.

I have moved your post and a response to it to the Hip Surgery Recovery Area and started this recovery thread for you. Please post updates and questions about your recovery in this thread from now on.

Here are the Recovery Guidelines and some helpful articles that we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:
All done and sounds like pain is managed and you are feeling well.:yes!:

Hopefully you will be on track to go home soon where you can get comfy and chill.:ice:
Healing vibes coming your way.

Congratulations on your new hips. So glad that your pain is well controlled. Those first steps without the pre op pain are so wonderful and euphoric.

I am being discharged today and am happy to recover at home. My pain remains at a consistent 2. Wondering about pain on day 3,4. Still seems too good to be true!

Congrats on your new hip @Roemadison! Good to hear you pain is still at level 2.
It was the same with my first surgery in September. I took only 1/2 of the pain medication bottles I was given at the pharmacy and soon ended up to take Tylenol only.
I hope your pain continues at the minimal level!
:)

I am being discharged today and am happy to recover at home. My pain remains at a consistent 2. Wondering about pain on day 3,4. Still seems too good to be true!
For me day 3 & 4 after the anesthesia put directly in the joint wore off were the worst. The pain tapered off pretty rapidly after that. Just stay ahead of the pain for the next dew days.

Great news, my Both at Once hippy friend.:wave:
Keep it all slow and steady, and as Fit4Family wisely advises,
Do take your meds on time and keep chilled.:ice:
Isn't it grand to be rid of that horrid hip pain?:egypdance:

Glad your pain is still manageable, just remember to try and stay ahead of the bad pain. The compression socks seem to be one of those things that depend on the doctor. Some on here had them and for quite a while and some, like me, didn't. I also found there was a disconnect between the hospital staff and my OS office. The nurse at my follow up around 10 days out asked where my socks were, told her I didn't get any. She didn't seem happy but at that point it was totally a moot point as I was up and walking quite a bit.

My doctor does not prescribe compression socks unless a patient has had a previous history of blood clots (I asked). I was very happy without them but did my ankle pumps a lot and of course multiple trips to bathroom for walking.

Well, I started to feel achey and have a ow grade fever. Was told this was normal within 72 hours. Anyone have this happen?

It’s made my legs really ache and hurt. I know I should be getting up every hour, but how much walking should I be doing?

:wave: Yes, I ran a low grade fever and oh my stars, my quads felt like they were used for punching bags.
Just a short walk is all that is necessary for now...I tried to drink lots, so many short trips to bathroom or from bed to recliner.
I am sure I was not up EVERY hour...:unsure:
I did some simple ankle pumps when I could think about it after sitting and dozing.
All temporary so try not to stress...
Keeping that ice going will help the most.:ice:

First days are tough, but it Will be worth it in the end...healing vibes are coming your way.:friends:

My surgeon prescribes compression socks. To me, they quickly become the thing you love to hate. :gaah: Miserable ol things.:hairpulling:
But, like a good patient, I did what I was told...begrudgingly :heehee:
Wishing you a better relationship with your compression socks.

Hope your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably.
A peaceful Sunday to you! :)
@Roemadison

Oops, I want to add a couple thoughts after reading your latest post...
Regarding the fever...I've read it can be a normal response by the body to the stress of the surgery and is most often caused by an inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained through surgery. The fever is usually gone within a few days.

how much walking should I be doing?

I liked referencing the Activity Progression For THR over the first month or two as a rough guideline. Following it loosely should keep you from overdoing it in the early weeks of recovery -

I’ve read the info on Activity Progression and think it is so helpful! I am wondering when my hips will start to feel better. I realize I am in day 3 and am realistic and don’t intend to push it. But I also wondered when it should become gradually easier to walk, less stiff, less overall pain, etc.

When is it allowed to sleep on our stomach after anterior approach. Just curious....

@Roemadison , I had a single THR and it took a week or ten days of rest, elevate, walk a few steps, repeat before the pain and stiffness subsided. I took all the pain meds on schedule and that was important in keeping my pain down to 2 or 3 on the 1 to 10 scale.
A lot of members here also use ice to reduce swelling and pain. I didn’t do that as my routine above worked fine.
I also remember that in the first week I napped a lot as even a little moving about made me tired.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojo8826
Recent bookmarks