TKR Rockgirl4's Recovery---already full of surprises.

It's tough but reading other people's recovery stories feel sure it will go back to normal for every one of us. Just hang in there. Better days are coming.

My zingers are like electric zaps or darts deep down the side of my knee, generally in the inner part. Get 3 or 4 consecutively - quite painful. I think it's nerves repairing and I'm convinced will eventually calm down.

Last edited:
@Rockgirl 4. I read your struggle. i totally relate. This surgery consumes everything. And for too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockgirl4 I get those deep muscle spasms, but mine are on the quad where the surgical drain was put. Exactly as you describe and very different from zingers that I also get like Benay.

I asked the physical therapist about these zingers. Were you all prescribed Neurontin or a generic equivalent? Mine is/was a 15 day supply of Gabapentin. These are for "nerve pain". The PT told me these zingers are probably a nerve pain that's supposed to be treated by this drug.

I never considered getting anything for this pain. It's manageable and not constant. I'm really not a fan of medicating if I can possibly do without but if it gets worse will rethink it. Actually hoping it's a good sign of life.

The PT told me these zingers are probably a nerve pain that's supposed to be treated by this drug.
Personally I never felt my zingers needed a specific pain medication. Yes they hurt, but they were quick pains. I did take Tylenol round the clock for months, though, and that helped with everything in general.

I described the zingers as lightning bolts shooting through my knee. They were so intense that my whole leg would jump sometimes. OUCH!

@Benay and @lisabl Yeah,this is definitely more of the deep muscle pain/spasm than an electric jolt. I guess it really doesn't matter the sensation, as I keep getting 3-4 at a time with my leg twitching sometimes too. All in all, it's an experience like no other!:thud:

@Woodpusher and @Jockette I also don't feel a need to medicate them, at least not yet. My surgeon did NOT give much of in the way of medications for post-op. No Gabapentin was offered, which seemed a little odd considering it is prescribed pretty often after knee replacement. I wasn't offered any muscle relaxers either. I have done my own thing and used a basic one I've taken on/off for years that never interfered with past surgical recoveries. I see it as sleeping/relaxing a bit is MUCH better than the alternative if I want to heal.

Today was one of those roller coaster days everyone talks about. I slept well but woke up more sore than usual. It's been cloudy/rainy all day, so I wonder if it's the weather. We drove 2 miles to the new house site and was happy to see the builder broke ground this week. My goal with this TKR was to be comfortable moving by Halloween or Thanksgiving, and I'm optimistic. We're not getting any younger, nor are our friends and family, so we plan to hire movers for the heavy lifting. It made for an exciting afternoon until we went to lunch. We drove 15 minutes there, ate, and drove 15 minutes home--that was after the 10 minute house excursion in a different direction. I was NOT feeling good after that--too much bouncing around in the car, plus I'd showered 1 hour before we left. It was a lesson to do things in pieces, especially when the knee is going to be down for awhile.

My toughest part of the day is not knowing if I can make it through my son's piano recital tomorrow. It's at least an hour, the pews are NOT comfortable (it's at our church), and he doesn't play his pieces all at once, so it's not like I can bug out early. We would need to arrive 15 minutes early for a seat where I can prop my leg up and not be crowded. It's a 10 minute drive, 10 mins back, and so many people who will want to talk, ask questions, etc (we know most there and consider some family). ----I just keep seeing today all over again though. :xmark::groan:

My husband said not to worry, that our son would likely be more relaxed if I stayed home so he won't worry about me. I just feel bad missing and not being there for him. I've heard his pieces all afternoon though (and for months!!) while he practiced, so it's not like I'm really missing anything. I'll see what tomorrow morning brings and get his input. He may flat out say he wants me to stay home.

I meant to add I slept from 3:30-6:30, recovering from our 1 hour excursion. :zzz: The knee was super jumpy/twitchy, but I fell asleep and LOVED it!!!!

@Rockgirl4 I hope all goes well today. I joined the ODIC yesterday aswell. My hubby had gone hiking with a friend for the day (ended up doing a 20mile coastal hike), and I felt sorry for myself, so walked to bus stop, 25 min bus into town, went shopping for 1hr in Mall (did sit and have a coffee break in middle) and got bus home. Back by 2pm and slept 4-6pm whilst leg was icing. Leg seems ok this morning.

@Rockgirl4

Hi Lisa:wave:

Sounds like your recovery is moving along on the predictable course of recovery.

Good to hear that ground has been broken on your new home site. I am hopeful that you will be in your new house, enjoying the 2019 holiday season, with a good, sound, pain free knee.

I am sure that I will be joining you in the
ODIC group after I have my TKR this coming Wednesday. You know what they say, "It is hard to keep a good woman down." And, I think both of us may be afflicted with "impatient patient" syndrome. At least I know I am!:sad:

I will see you over in recovery shortly. In the meantime take care of yourself.

Anna:flwrysmile:

@Rockgirl4 , I am sure your son will understand if you don't attend the recital. I am almost 3 months and just went through a flurry of end of the school year activities and both of my kids graduated. It wore me out and I was very uncomfortable sitting at my daughter's concerts. I think you can do it if you decide to go, but take a pain pill beforehand :)

@lisabl Wow, what an excursion you had yesterday, and I'm glad the knee held up, even if you needed a long nap afterwards. :) I cannot begin to imagine that any time soon, but I know I'll get there. The mall is one place I've avoided for years because when my knee says it's time to go, there's SUCH a long walk to the parking lot. I can't wait to go and linger for hours again if I want.

@Irish471 I decided to stay home from the recital today, and the kiddo completely understood. He knows I'd be there if things were different, as I never miss ANYTHING. He's our only one, so I soak it all up and never wish the days away. I'm that mom that never leaves during practice because I enjoy watching him, and in a few years I'll be wishing I COULD sit and watch him. Thanks for letting me know you still had issues months out, and it's totally normal. I think, as usual, the mom-guilt gets to us, even though the kids are okay with it.

@BCSAnna Thanks for the well wishes, Anna. I hope you are ready for your big day and not too nervous. :) I'll be eager to read your recovery thread and welcome you to the other side.

I decided to stay home from the recital today, and the kiddo completely understood. He knows I'd be there if things were different, as I never miss ANYTHING. He's our only one, so I soak it all up and never wish the days away. I'm that mom that never leaves during practice because I enjoy watching him, and in a few years I'll be wishing I COULD sit and watch him.

We just got home from a band concert; I lasted less than an hour and had to go. Too uncomfortable to sit. This too shall pass...

@Rockgirl4 , I hear you! I cried at my daughter’s last concert knowing it was the last of the school activities. She is moving onto college. New adventures await us all!

@Rockgirl4

It seems you have had quite a lot on your plate of late, it is so OK to feel down especially with all that you have had to deal with. Sorry to hear of your Mum's passing. I think it was a great idea to continue with the op, it gave your mind other things to think about.

I think there is such a fine line between pleasure and pain.... It's hard to know how much we can do with our new knees until we go past "that" line and by then it's too late.

I relate this surgery to my my gastric sleeve surgery I had back in 2013.... Trying to judge when I was full when my head would be telling me I can't be because there is such a small portion on the plate. That fight took several months but I got there. Still today sometimes I push the limit, just one more bite, and sure enough I pay for it later...

It the same now with my knees, how much is too much without having to be in a great deal of pain later.

Anyway keep on keeping on. :)

I'm not worried, but I would love some advice....

Can anyone relate to taking the dressing off their knee and wondering if it should be covered back up? I was able to remove my Prineo dressing today (21 day mark) and it came off easily.

1) There was a lot of loose and torn skin right up against the scar and it looks very moist.:sos: I had very large and numerous fracture blisters outside the edges of the dressing immediately after surgery that took 2 wks to dry up. Some of that is still peeling and drying up. Could this fresh skin be where the skin did the same thing UNDER the dressing (blistered??) and is just now peeling away? It would kind of make sense to be moist as it was protected from the air (?)
2) There are two 1 cm areas of my incision that are very pink/red. I dabbed it and cannot see fresh blood, but it just looks "raw" or"fresh".....not sure what to think.
3) There is a 2 inch area down the side of the scar and right up against it that looks like an indentation/wide slit--maybe where the skin tried to pull away from the scar after surgery (?). I wonder if this occurred due to the severe swelling but everything was "held in place" by the dressing to prevent separation.
4) I'm just worried about anything and everything touching me now. I thought things would look more dry and shriveled. I'm supposed to go to PT tomorrow but I'm afraid for even a pillowcase to touch this when I ice later, or a shower, or anything!!!!

Thoughts? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I just wanted a plain, simple, shriveled scar. Instead I get ANOTHER surprise. After 11 knee surgeries, this is a first. :sigh: I have large Tegaderm bandages I can use to recover if necessary. They are fairly waterproof also

Edited 40 minutes later: My husband thinks everything looks fine and normal. He also thinks part of my old ACI scar is the long indented area I'm seeing. The surgeon used the old 6 inch scar, but I could understand if it wasn't perfectly "aligned", so to speak. I'm still just a bit freaked about the red/pink areas.

Last edited:
Another question---I have a TENS unit that I purchased before surgery. I'll be 3 wks post-op tomorrow. Is it too soon to start using it?

I always have lots of soft tissue issues post-op (10 other knee ops to learn from! :) )---so I'm going all out on pain management. I'm still very swollen on the upper outside of the knee, across my IT Band, and I can tell it's part of my"slow-bending" problem. Can I strategically place the electrodes to help this swelling?

Please feel free to advise the best where/when/how, as I'm a TENS unit newby. I love E-stim at PT clinics though and can't wait to try it at home. :fingersx:

and I can tell it's part of my"slow-bending" problem.
You are not a slow bender, you are only 3 weeks out from a major, trauma inducing, surgery. It is way too early to consider yourself slow and to even think/worry about ROM.

Thanks @Jockette. I need a sign that says this. It needs to be posted on every mirror, the TV, the microwave, etc. :thankyou:

Can I use the TENS unit yet for pain management though?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom