TKR Rob's Knew Knee

Got my latest EKG today, and it looks pretty good. And Rafa is getting close to looking like a real knee again. Hope all is well with all my Bonesmart friends.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 159
Hope all the July (2015) Sizzlers are well and back into their normal lives and routines. Remember where we all were a year ago, full of trepidation and doubt, awaiting what would be a transformational experience for us all.

My Rafa looks fairly normal today, still a bit stiff for my taste but not insurmountably so. Having more trouble with my back than knee; seems my tennis playing also caused some spinal stenosis, which we are currently treating with PT and Aleve. Next step is a spinal block or shot of steroids directly into the spinal column. If that doesn't work, surgery would be the next option.

Meanwhile, I'm captaining a tennis team in the state championships this weekend at the other end of Tennessee, and I'll likely be playing in at least a couple of matches. Life goes on. I trust all my Bonesmart friends are also living their lives more fully as we approach the first anniversary of our shared experiences.

Buena Suerte to all.

I am looking forward to my one year anniversary and although I am still not back to 100%; I am doing much better. Another round of PT and some exercise at home to strengthen my quads has helped immensely and I have worked up to low impact aerobics and balance and strength training. I am learning how to get down on the floor with the knee as I do a lot of house remodeling and that requires a lot of crawling on the floor. With a puffy pillow, I can last up to 10 minutes. Not ideal, but better than last month.

Good luck on your matches.

My July sparkler unfortunately was a dud! I had a revision two months ago and now I'm back on the road to normalcy. I've got a bit to catch up but I get there. I really miss tennis but I haven't been able to play for a long time. I used to play three to five times a week and travelled with a doubles team all year long plus lessons and playing for fun. I'm hoping to get back to it again. I'm glad you are doing so well!

@Third joint I'm feeling so much better as I was in pain for eight months before I had the revision. I'm finally free of pain so I couldn't be happier. Just out of shape and it swells whenever I put it done but I'm working at taking care of that. Life is good.

Glad your knee is doing so well, but sorry to hear about your back. July 2014 is not yet a distant memory but it is fading. My July knee is good. Walking 10,000-plus steps a day, plus biking, etc. Stairs are still a minor issue but improving! We will all be 1 soon.

@newlybionic - I am glad you are back on the road to recovery. This replacement did not go at all like I had hoped. My hip surgeries seemed much simpler (even though one had to be revised after only a year). Recovery is definitely longer and I am also still swelling if I am on it for more than 20 minutes, but slow progress is still progress and I am looking forward to a house remodel this summer and a lot of exercise.

Glad to hear you continue to improve. I have a back surgery under my belt along with the knee, so I know how you feel. Good luck with it. At 10 months, I feel pretty darn good. I continue to see improvement with my knee, but very small increments. Other than an occasional bad day, I can do just about anything I used to do. Kneeling is still tough, and this thing still clunks and pops all the time. Doc says that may never change, but as long as there's no pain, don't worry

@cpd599 my doc says the same thing of my clicking and clunking
He said it was to give more Flexion
Just like you no pain
But every step click or clunk
And if I say do too long it feels stiff but moves fine
Will be trying tennis this summer

@Rob 68 - Nice to hear your knee is doing well! Sorry to hear about your back.. Hope you're able to manage that part.. My knee is more stiff than I'd like too, but overall SOOO much better than pre-surgery! Not playing tennis, but getting back to being "normal"... Cheers to you! :cheers:

Rafa turned 1 Wednesday and I forgot to post anything. My bad. Played 3 hours of tennis Tuesday morning, then about 30 minutes on the stationary bike Wednesday, then another 2 hours of tennis Thursday night. Started a new PT regimen for my back, which seems to be helping. May still need some kind of shot, but for now I can function and play with no problems. Not much else to report; knee is still stiff, but functional. Can move around the house and tennis court almost as easily as before my old knee started going bad. People playing me for the first time cannot believe my age; They think I'm at least 10 to 15 years younger than I really am. And I can keep up with our grandson, who turns 6 next weekend. Kudos to all July Sparklers or Sizzlers or whatever name we were assigned who also celebrate the past year of relief, recovery, and, finally, redemption from the previous pain. Together, we all done good. Congrats and Cheers to you all! :beer:

Congrats on Rafa's activity level. I noticed stiffness at 1 year, too but I'm pleased to report that stiffness is mostly gone at 15 months, so you may have good news in your near future.

What a wonderful, encouraging report!

@PolarBear60
Wow...it took 15 months for the stiffness to go away? most mornings my stiffness is so bad I have to shuffle to the kitchen, I'm a little over 3 months post op and can't wait for that stiffness to go away.....but 15 months?:thud:

15 months is depressing!

It's wasn't truly stiff. Just a reminder of some tightness in varying places. Please don't let that depress you. Stiffness at one year was nothing like stiffness at three or four months.

Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

@sistersinhim , @Majella - Please don't get discouraged! Like Polarbear60 said.. the tightness, or stiffness, varies.. What you will feel at 3 months is WAY different than what you'll feel later.. I just had my one year anniversary and if you ask me.. I still have 'stiffness' in my operated knee, but it is SO MUCH LESS than the 'stiffness' I would have talked about at 3 months.. At one year out.. I am THRILLED with my new knee. It is not perfect. It is not like my old "real" "young" knee.... but I am pain free and I can walk without a limp. Just a year in recovery, I still anticipate things will continue to improve and I'll build up strength.. I would do this all over again without a doubt!!!!! (I likely will need to do it on my "other" knee at some point.)

It's 'easy' to look back after a year.. But just remember.. we were all where you are at this point.. With worries, with pain, with questions about the decision to do the extreme replacement.. My best recommendation.. Let time heal.. and be patient.. :chillpill:

@Braunzie, thank you so much for your encouraging post. My emotions are just like my recovery...good days and bad days. My overall bad days aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. Everyone who have been here knows the frustration of feeling better, but still unable to do more than we're able. That hits us in the emotions! But, I'm doing a little more this week than I did last week, so everything is looking up. It just takes time!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom