TKR Rob's Knew Knee

Well, I may have fudged a bit on the competitive part. It's not tournament or league tennis, but just a group of people who like to play. I'd call it more social tennis, but it's still a step above just hitting against a machine. It's a great relief to me just to be on the court with friends again.

three cheers for being on the court with friends

three jeers for playing more than three sets a week 'til you reach the six month mark

how's that for a compromise?

Last set was actually a 10-point tiebreaker; we all were pretty tired by then.

Nice to hear you are back on the court Rob ,nothing better .I went to the park to hit on the wall last week and there were three youngsters there , I made the quarum . They knew I had just had TKR but they were gracious and my partner Troy ran his but off as I wasn't going to run anything down ,I was only four weeks ,shame on me. We actually won't the second set ,and the tie breaker ,wow sometimes I am sure a lucky old man :snork:

Hi Rob, I started curling at 3 months. Played twice and there was no way I should have been on the ice. Then I went on vacation, swam, biked, walked for two weeks. A week back home now and I curled last night and I felt almost back to normal. I could sweep and keep up with the rock. I was tired today but no swelling. I too feel like my strength and endurance is returning.

Yay for you. Have fun!

Wishing the happiest of Thanksgivings to all my knee friends and their families. I'm sure all of us list among our thankful events of 2015 this amazing technology that allows us to resume something close to a normal life again. And personally, I am thankful to have met such a kind and considerate group of people who share their experiences with this major event in our lives and walk the extra mile to help others cope and eventually master our knew knees. All of you are special, and I am proud that we found each other. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Dropping in for another update on Rafa's 5th month BD. Played tennis again yesterday - @SarahJane will be happy since it was one short and one long set - and went back to the court today to hit against the machine. Both times I felt a little more mobile, and actually heard my shoes squeaking on the court Saturday for the first time in more than a year. Squeaky shoes means you are moving your feet quickly to get into proper hitting position. Weather forecast for next week shows highs in the low to high 60s, and actually in the mid 70s on Saturday. Thinking of getting off the bike and doing some power walking through the neighborhood on non-tennis days. Seems to burn more calories and work more body parts, and I could stand to lose about 20 lbs., at least, to reduce pressure on Rafa when I start playing seriously - at the 6-month BD, @SarahJane. Sure wish all my fellow Sparklers could join me and enjoy it as much as I do.

Xmas shopping almost all done. Still want to pick up a couple of things for the grandson, and our son is always difficult to buy for. Offered to get tickets for the 3D premiere of the latest Star Wars saga for us males - me, him, grandson Alex - but he's so busy that may not be possible. I remember taking him to the very first SW film when he was 7, just him and me. It's always been a special memory for both of us.

Wishing everyone good health and speedier recoveries. The process really has seemed easier since Month 3, as many of our predecessors have stated in their stories. Anyway, buena suerte, muchachos y muchachas. Here's looking at you, kids. :martini:

Walks went well today, about 2.2 miles with Fiona early, then 4.2 miles on my own around noon. Time wasn't great, but didn't want to press it. Felt good to be outside in the nice weather, doing something positive. Took my cane just in case, and iced Rafa as soon as I got home and Fiona licked most of the sweat off my legs. Last few days have been nice to me.

Walking your dog. It's the simple pleasures we can appreciate now. We are planning on seeing the new Star Wars movie at Christmas when all 4 of our children will be home. I know I will be a bit stiff after sitting that long, but well worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
aencrypted_tbn2_gstatic_com_images_f2f6ba0c19b7e0dbab9476903d51861a._.jpg
Rafa celebrates his 6-month birthday today, so thought we would drop by and thank all our Bonesmart family for their great comments, their encouragement, and for their progress in this mutual journey. Especially proud of the July Sparklers, who hung together and shared good and bad moments, all in the spirit of community. You guys are special. :bow:

Happy Birthday Rafa! Your July Sparkler sister knee says hello and happiest of new years. Thanks for your encouragement and support. We made it!!!

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on your outstanding progress! This site is a blessing as well as are the folks who participate with encouragement and support.

@Rob 68 - checking in.... I know it's been a while... So GLAD to hear you're doing well!!! Happy 6 month anniversary! I have mine next week.. Not playing tennis, (cuz I didn't before..) but all in all, I'm definitely getting back to a normal life.. Now if I could just retire and not have to go to work every day!!! I'd have more time to explore with my new knee! :heehee:

Again.. so glad to hear you're doing well.. Happy New Year! Best wishes for continued knee improvement!!! :cheers:

@Rob 68 - checking in.... I know it's been a while... So GLAD to hear you're doing well!!! Happy 6 month anniversary! I have mine next week.. Not playing tennis, (cuz I didn't before..) but all in all, I'm definitely getting back to a normal life.. Now if I could just retire and not have to go to work every day!!! I'd have more time to explore with my new knee! :heehee:

Again.. so glad to hear you're doing well.. Happy New Year! Best wishes for continued knee improvement!!! :cheers:
@Braunzie - Hey, Sister. Good to hear from you. Funny how time seems to slowly drift us apart, isn't it? But that's the major reason many of us went through this ordeal - to resume our normal lives without that danged bad old knee getting in the way. We are lucky in a sence that modern technology allowed us to find a community of people, highly diverse people at that, to come together and help each other through a potentially traumatic experience. I feel blessed by the electronic friendships I found here from many states and at least one other country. Hopefully, we have helped even more Bonesmarters who didn't join we more vocal members in our banter and support sessions.
In any event, I am proud to call all of you, especially the July Sparklers, friends. I hope we all continue to check in from time to time just to say hello and assure everyone thay we are still kicking and living normal lives again.

Take care of yourself, Ms. Braunzie, and enjoy life as much as you can.

Happy BD Rafa. My knee turns 6 months next Wednesday along with Braunzie's. If I ever have my other knee done, I have already decided it will be some year in July. Lots of light in July and August, which makes those sleepless nights more bearable and icing feels great in the sweltering heat out on the patio!

Happy belated birthday Rafa! My July sparkler knee was a dud. I'll be going in for a redo in a few months. Second times a charm?

Happy belated birthday Rafa! My July sparkler knee was a dud. I'll be going in for a redo in a few months. Second times a charm?
Bummer, New. You should come to Memphis; would be more than happy to introduce you to my Doc. But I'm sure you chose your next OS carefully. We will all be with you for your next procedure, which is what people who have not experienced what we have. Hope your other knee holds out. Good luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks
Back