BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Robotic vs Standard Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Sylvanian, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good morning everyone. I’ve just registered on the forum as I’m having surgery to replace my left hip on 15th April. Thank you for running this excellent supportive community for those going through joint replacement surgery; it’s invaluable.

A little about me: I’m a 43 year old male who’s led an active life but suffered from worsening knee pain for about 15 years. After years of aimless physio intervention I finally saw an OS who xrayed my knee and hips. I was diagnosed in November with severe RA as a result of FAI. It came as a great shock and I have to admit to having taken a bit of a knock mentally as a result of the diagnosis. I fell into a bit of a rut immediately afterwards but have managed to improve my mood through meditation which I’d recommend to anybody feeling similar for whatever reason.

After seeing two more OS I elected to have the Mako robotic assisted surgery as I was persuaded by its accuracy as reported improvement in recovery time.

However I’ve also read a couple of journal articles that mention some of the potential disadvantages, mainly a possible increase in likelihood of heterotopic ossification and, because locating pins are used to help with robotic surgery, potential issues with pain as a result of these pins.

I would be interested to hear of any opinions or experiences about the robotic surgery option (I have read one or two threads here). I still have the option of going the conventional route if I want to. I suppose it will all be done robotically eventually but, compared to traditional surgery, it hasn’t had the longevity to be properly compared.

Many thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Sylvanian Welcome to BoneSmart! We all felt the same post diagnosis. It's hard to admit something in our body has failed after leading an active life. The good new is THR will get you back to that active life.

There are advantages and disadvantages of every THR approach and methodology. The most important criteria is finding a surgeon you trust who has a high level of experience.

I'm sure our members will be along soon to share their Mako experiences.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

Thanks Jaycey. I appreciate your kind words.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

United States United States
    Welcome ... just find an excellent surgeon ... I almost went to an excellent surgeon who used a robot ... at the last second changed to someone closer to me who didn't use a robot.

The surgeon who uses a robot works at a practice with a bunch of other top joint surgeons who do and do not use robots. Good surgeons figure out how to make the robot work. I don't think the research is clear on the impact of the robots ... other than that using a robot can help surgeons place the device in the ideal target area at a higher rate than surgeons who don't use the robot. But ... there is more to surgery than placing the device in a perfect area ... and like any computer program, you have to get good at using it to get the best results.

I think the good surgeons have figured out the pins issue by now. There is always an initial glitch with a new technology. You can ask your surgeon about the pins.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

Thanks for your views @Going4fun. By all accounts, he is an excellent surgeon and has offered to do the surgery without the robot if I prefer. He says the robot has made a very positive impact on his surgery so I should take this as a positive. I think I subscribed to the robotic approach a little too quickly without thinking it through properly, hence my last minute concerns. It’s difficult for me to find someone to speak to who’s had robot assisted surgery whereas I know a few people who’ve had traditional surgery.

6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

The majority of us have had THR using 1 method whether it be 1 hip pr both. Really hard to compare unless you found someone that had 1 done with and one done without and even that might not be a true comparison. For the most part it seems the true dedicated surgeons no matter what the method have good results. There is such differences in all of us between size,age and amount of damage there are too many variables. Always goes back to find the surgeon you feel the most comfortable with that you feel has a good track record. Still comes down to no matter where they cut or who or what is doing the work you are still disassembled, pieces removed, pieces installed and then reassembled and then have to heal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

Good points @Eman85. It’s not really comparing apples with apples. It’s all very hard to get my head around.

8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

This is all very over-rated. Ultimately, as others have said, you need a GOOD surgeon first and foremost. I have known cases where the surgeon found he needed to do a particular bit of cutting and the robot wouldn't let him go there so he had to switch it off! Then, because he had stopped the programme midway, he couldn't just switch it on again! Give me the old way any day!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

I think it's a bit odd for the surgeon to throw this choice to you ... He's the surgeon ... he has a clear opinion on whether operating with a robot is better. Sounds like he's throwing the "choice" into your lap simply because some people are afraid of robots maybe? ...

Really you want the surgeon to use whatever technology he thinks helps him operate best. I'd simply ask him what he thinks is best and go with that ... unless the idea of robotic arm assistance sends tremors down your spine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

Thank you for your replies. Perhaps I could have been clearer. This surgeon’s preference is to use the Mako robot. However, when I asked about the issues I’d read about and explained I was unsure about whether I should choose the robotic option he said that he felt the robot had made the biggest improvement in his surgery. However, if I didn’t want to proceed with the robotic option, he is happy to use the traditional method as he offers patients both options.

When I originally chose, I just went straight for the robotic option then felt I’d been a little hasty after reading some journal articles. As there’s less than one week to go now, I’d better make my mind up :beg:

11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

You could say!

12. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

To my thinking you want to follow his recommendation and go with the robot. Journal articles always lag behind improvements people have made on the ground ... he has access to the same articles you have found and more up-to-date info from a range of surgeons at conferences and in other journals (unless he's an isolated surgeon).

Sounds like he's saying he can skillfully operate either way ... which is good ... but he sounds positively excited about the robot and the improvements he says he's noticed. Follow that energy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm thinking the same...
    You are the artist, doc.
    Paint with the materials you are confident with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sylvanian

Sylvanian new member

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I’m going robotic so will be in touch to let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Sylvanian
    I hope you're resting comfortably by now and your pain is well managed.
    When you're feeling up to it please join us on the Hip Recovery side.
    We will leave you the Recovery Guidelines and I think you'll appreciate the support and encouragement
    you'll receive on the recovery side.
    Hope to see you there soon!