THR Robotic posterior RTHR 9/7/21

Thumbless1

Country
United States United States
Hi! Just had mine done today, Sept 7th. Surgeon said it went great. I had the robotic knee replacement on the same side on April 14th 2021. I have a lot of pain in the groin area and my leg is pretty swollen. Pain meds are working though. Going to read through everyone’s posts about their journeys! I’m 44, and was in a bad car accident 17years ago and finally found a doctor who would fix me even though my age .

Last edited:
Hi @Thumbless1 and :welome:
So sorry about the accident that led to your surgeries, but glad you are done with your knee and hip so you can get this recovery show on the road.:egypdance:

We would like to add your surgeries to your signature so...
Your Right THR was yesterday September 7, correct?
And do you remember the date of your Right TKR in April?

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Thumbless1. I had the same procedure. I'm 6 weeks out now and very pleased with progress. Luckily I had no swelling and hardly any bruising. I take it easy. No painkillers required. No stick in the house but I do take one outside. That's more for psychological reasons than anything else.
My Fitbit helps to keep me moving regularly and to count steps and measure sleep quality. It's really useful.
Take it easy!

How long until you were able to drive? I’m now 6 days out. I am able to walk around the house without any assistance most of the time. I do have some groin pain. I have my 2nd PT tomorrow

I could drive from four weeks (UK).
I've hit a bad patch though. Somehow I'm much sorer this week. Possibly due to awkward sudden movement or ODIC. I'm hoping it'll resolve soon.

:wave: @Thumbless1
Thanks for editing your post to provide the information for your THR and TKR.
Its been added to your signature and the mods will add you to the September Sapphires Hip group so you can see how your fellow September hippies are doing.

Regarding driving: Two factors must be addressed. If you are still on regular pain medication you should not be driving. And if you have any weakness or pain when performing an emergency stop you should not be driving. There are also some issues with insurance companies in some areas. Unless you are cleared by your OS to drive you could have problems with your insurance if you were in a accident.
I think I began driving at about 4 1/2 weeks post BTHR.
My bucket seats required me to use a cushion and after riding for more than 20 minutes or so was very uncomfortable.
I was also nervous as I did not want to mess up my new hips by some unforseen incident.
Took a bit to really get my confidence back.

Last edited:
I am now 10 days out. I have been doing way too much and got yelled at by my PT. She told me to stay home for a few days and do nothing. It’s hard when Im used to running around all of the time. I tried weaning off the Gabapentin but realized it was too early. I have some pain in the glute area. Other than that and some swelling, doing ok. Just some depression about not being able to do anything.

@Thumbless1 try to find things you can do eg seated yoga. Alternatively, use this sedentary time to deal with all the boring admin tasks that need doing. Get on the phone and try to get all your bills down? I spent yesterday on the phone getting insurance premiums down, it'll be utilities bills next then TV and broadband. I think these companies must groan when a pensioner comes on the phone as we're all wanting to drive costs down and we've got lots of time to spend doing it.
Hope you feel much better soon.

Being in pain and prolonging recovery is more depressing than relaxing.
Driving for me with the left was 2 weeks and about 3 with the right, but I was past any pain killers by then.

Hey @Thumbless1 it wasn’t until week 8 of my right THR that I felt like I could slam breaks which like @Mojo333 said tends to be the metric.

Re the depression I’ve found that listing out all the things I’m thankful for around the surgery (no sedation issues, good placement etc.) helps and busying myself with research projects - YouTube tutorials on hobbies I’ll try or old ones I’ll restart once recovery is done helps. It’s a distraction tactic but it’s helped me. Hopefully it can help you some.

:wave:Hello there,
Wondering how you’ve been doing over the past three weeks?
It’s a special day…Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have time to share an update soon. We will look forward to it. :)
@Thumbless1

@Thumbless1 try to find things you can do eg seated yoga. Alternatively, use this sedentary time to deal with all the boring admin tasks that need doing. Get on the phone and try to get all your bills down? I spent yesterday on the phone getting insurance premiums down, it'll be utilities bills next then TV and broadband. I think these companies must groan when a pensioner comes on the phone as we're all wanting to drive costs down and we've got lots of time to spend doing it.
Hope you feel much better soon.

I do seated yoga also since it is uncomfortable to kneel due to the numb areas in my knee.

also standing from a seated position is still uncomfortabe. I do light squats to try to loosen this area; but it sometimes feels like a bone or the implant is coming through my skin. Just a sensation I suppose

i feel I can’t change the surgery; so I will adapt

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks