Robotic arm used for THR. Does anyone have any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, opie ... welcome to the forum. So, am I understanding that you are scheduled to have your second hip replaced soon? It sounds as though your surgeon may used some of the robotic technology that's available. Some surgeons like it; others prefer a complete "hands on" approach. Either way you will get a wonderful new hip to enjoy. Both the implants and surgical techniques have improved in the 6 years since your last hip so you have a lot of good things to look forward to.

It's certainly quite a popular procedure but like any such device, it can have flaws but none that a good surgeon cannot circumvent!

Would you be kind enough to tell us the date of your surgeries- past and future!

It's certainly quite a popular procedure but like any such device, it can have flaws but none that a good surgeon cannot circumvent!

Would you be kind enough to tell us the date of your surgeries- past and future!

Oh course! RTHR July of 2010. LTHR January 30. I'm in a lot of pain. Had to stop swimming and stretching about a month ago because everything caused pain. Rest and ice are my true friends! This week I have to stop my Allieve and Mobic. I am worried, because these have helped me very much.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

So sorry you have to give up those pain meds. This is the hard part! Can you take Tylenol? Rest, ice and try and stay off that hip as much as you can in the run up to your surgery. Soon you will join the double hippie club!

So sorry you have to give up those pain meds. This is the hard part! Can you take Tylenol? Rest, ice and try and stay off that hip as much as you can in the run up to your surgery. Soon you will join the double hippie club!

Good advice! I will get Tylenol as the Dr said yes to it. I'm worried about post op pain management. Last time my spinal came out a bit. ( I don't remember exactly) but my pain was horrible. I will speak to the anesthesiologist pre surgery. I also almost passed out the first time they got me up. Very low blood pressure.... trying not to think of those issues, but with more pain, I'm not doing too good.

I'm worried about post op pain management.
Your priority while you are still in the hospital is to get your pain management cocktail just right. Be persistent! And ask for ice from day one. Be sure and discuss all your concerns with the anaesthetist.

Low BP is very common after an op. Move very slowly and don't feel pushed into doing anything if you are feeling the least bit lightheaded.

Your priority while you are still in the hospital is to get your pain management cocktail just right. Be persistent! And ask for ice from day one. Be sure and discuss all your concerns with the anaesthetist.

Low BP is very common after an op. Move very slowly and don't feel pushed into doing anything if you are feeling the least bit lightheaded.

That's what I needed to hear. I did feel pressured and thought I had to do exactly what they said. Much appreciated!

I did feel pressured and thought I had to do exactly what they said.
Never! The physios are on a schedule and will alway assume everyone can adapt to their schedule. Truth is we are all different and some of us need more time to ease into their program. You should never feel pressured to move when you are not feeling confident. Tell them to come back later. Best you are moving around when you are feeling up to it versus trying to be a hero.

Never! The physios are on a schedule and will alway assume everyone can adapt to their schedule. Truth is we are all different and some of us need more time to ease into their program. You should never feel pressured to move when you are not feeling confident. Tell them to come back later. Best you are moving around when you are feeling up to it versus trying to be a hero.

Wow. Exactly what I needed to know. I felt so pressured and rushed and felt I needed to be so strong when I was not. I will listen to my body and tell them when I am ready. It was so scary and I felt like a loser. It won't happen again. Thanks!

Opus, best wishes on your surgery and recovery. You will get lots of good advice on here. Listen to your body and get that pain under control.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

This week I have to stop my Allieve and Mobic
Are you using any walking aids? I used a stick (cane) in the build up and in the final weeks resorted to crutches. They certainly helped to take the weight off my joints so I would recommend you try that route. And avoid any pushing, pulling, lifting, carrying or shifting anything heavy. You'd be suprised how even something you would regard as not particularly weighty can cause pain. Whenever I put any extra strain on my hips I really paid for it. Rope someone in to do anything that resembles something that might compromise your joints. And as Jaycey says, rest and ice. You just need to get through this preOp patch as comfortably as possible.

Thanks Miss Muffet! Yes, I use a cane and a walker. This last few days before surgery are very hard for me. I also was found to have a UTI probably because it hurts so much to get up and go. Praying that the antibiotics I am on will work! I need to get on with the surgery January 30 so I can start to get my life back.

Opie, just rejoined this group again. My first hip was in May of 2010 too and I will be having my next one done in March so you and I are similar. My doctor is suggesting the Mako robiotic procedure. Is that what you had? Will be interested to follow you and holding you in thought as you go through all of this.

Opie, just rejoined this group again. My first hip was in May of 2010 too and I will be having my next one done in March so you and I are similar. My doctor is suggesting the Mako robiotic procedure. Is that what you had? Will be interested to follow you and holding you in thought as you go through all of this.

@Itzdor, I am now day 4 post op. I am doing so much better this time... no nauseous, I am not dizzy and I'm sticking to the pain management schedule that keeps the pain at bay so I can move. No real sense for the robotic arm surgery, but am already so hopeful knowing my old pain is gone!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Thank you for taking the time to reply and I'm glad things are going to smoothly. I am nervous again. I did have a lot of pain during recovery so that is hovering in the back of my mind. When you are a little further down the road in recovery, and if you don't mind, perhaps I can ask you a few questions.

Wishing you a sunny day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back