TKR Robot assist vs. Traditional

Crescere

Country
United States United States
I have both psoriatic and osteo arthritis. I am using a crutch to walk. My knees hurt, and I can hear them grind when I move to certain positions. I have seen you tube videos and read many articles about robot assisted TKR. The general opinion seems to be there is less recovery time with the robot. I would like some solid educated conclusions about this topic. What are the pros and cons? What experiences have any of you had with robot assistance surgery? I thank all who help in advance.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Crescere - and :welome:

Robot-assisted knee replacement is good, but so is knee replacement done by a good, experienced surgeon without the use of robots.
Robot assist can't turn a surgeon with average skills into the expert you need.

While the advertising may say that robot-assisted gives you a faster recovery, that is seldom true.
The fact remains that knee replacement is major surgery that causes a lot of trauma. However the surgery is done, it demands a long recovery period.

It can take as long as a full year for complete recovery of all the affected tissues in your leg, although you will be able to do most things long before that.

No matter what method is used to replace a damaged knee, the most important factor for success is the skill of your surgeon.

You need to look for a surgeon who specializes in knee and hip replacement , who does at least 100 knee replacements a year, and who has a good track record of success and a low infection rate.
A surgeon who specializes in sports medicine seldom does enough knee replacements to be the expert knee surgeon you need.

OP
OP
C

Crescere

Country
Thanks Celle. There is a lot of information there. Here in Michigan I've been searching the net, asking people who have had surgery etc. There are no shortages of ortho knee surgeons. Most have high ratings. I would like to quiz some of the doctors with your questions, but realistically most offices say I'll have to make an appointment. In the meantime my knees are throbbing and burning.

Rick951

Country
@Crescere When I had my PKR done 2 years ago. My surgeon only had 1 day a month in a hospital that had a robot. He did surgeries several times a week in another hospital that did not have a robot. I trusted my Surgeon, He has an EXCELLENT reputation with an outstanding Ortho group. I decided that I should be trusting the Surgeon's skills more than some new cool piece of technology. I decided I would rather have my surgeon operation on his home field. Find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with, that will answer all of you questions. Experience and expertise count more than technology.
Just my opinion.
Rick

OP
OP
C

Crescere

Country
I appreciate all input. From my reading it is said that robot assist is more accurate in both the incision and placement of the new components. Also recovery time is said to be less. Unfortunately I have reached a point where I have a lot of pain and scheduling appointments is a long process.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Also recovery time is said to be less.
While the initial recovery phase may be slightly shorter, please don't go into a robot-assisted surgery expecting a fast recovery. No matter what method is used, no matter how good your surgeon, or how young or old you are, complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year.

You will be able to do most things long before that year is up, but it really does take all that time for your tissues to heal completely. While a minority of people may have a slightly faster recovery, there is no way to predict that, and some people find they need longer than a year before they fell 100% recovered.

We see so many people here on BoneSmart who are worried or frustrated because they had expected to be recovered sooner than they are.

OP
OP
C

Crescere

Country
Okay,I don't expect to be 100 % quickly. I mostly like that the docs who advocate this say the patient gets a better fit with the prothesis. Is that true? It seems a robot would be more accurate. I have talked to many people who have had FOR done, but none who had the robot assist.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I mostly like that the docs who advocate this say the patient gets a better fit with the prosthesis. Is that true?
It may be true, but even the surgeons who use a traditional method have a tool that is supplied , to help them cut and shape the bones to fit the prosthesis accurately.

My surgeon didn't use a robot, but he did use a computer-assisted technique that also helps to provide accurate fitting.

Another method of assisting with accurate placement is to have a Conformis custom-fitted prosthesis.

Whether the method used is robot-assisted, computer-assisted, custom-fitted, or surgeon-assessed, the most important factor to consider is the skill of the surgeon. All the enhancements are still dependent on the skill of your surgeon to produce a good result.
None of the methods can turn a mediocre surgeon into one with the necessary skill to provide the excellent result you need.

The skill of your surgeon still remains the paramount factor. Choose your surgeon well, and let him/her use the method with which he/she knows a good result is possible.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
IMHO an experienced surgeon is the priority. If the OS you're thinking of uses robot assist and has had lots of experience with it, that may be ok.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Livelaurel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom