THR Robin's Left Hip Replacement

BellaMac

Country
United States United States
I hope this is the way to initiate my personal pre-op thread, which is my intention. I am so grateful for bonesmart.org and the people who keep this site going. I had my first hip replacement April 2021 - my right hip, and this site was a godsend to me. I am remembering, as my surgery date approaches, how nervous and frankly scared I became with concerns something will go wrong. Nothing really drastic went wrong before and I am reminding myself of that fact. It really helps when you have been thru this before and have all these posts on here to validate just about every emotion from pre to post surgery.

Hi @BellaMac :wave:
I, too, found this forum to be invaluable during my recovery.
We will be cheering for you as you join the double hippy club and look forward to sharing in your journey back to healthy and hip pain free.:happydance:

Hi, @BellaMac, and welcome back! Do you have a surgery date yet? I don’t see my ortho surgeon until 9/7 but I know what’s coming so I’m preparing now. Good luck with your prep, mental and physical, and just remember that first moment you stood with zero hip pain! Worth it all…:welome:

Welcome back @BellaMac ! Your post brings back so many memories. I still can remember how I felt when I found this lifeline.
August isn't too far away. I bet the time flies past for you. Hopefully you kept your recovery aids from 2021?

Just in case you need some reminders: :yes:

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Welcome back and Best Wishes!

Hi BellaMac, I remember you well. It wasn’t too long ago.
I am sorry you have to go through the process again. I wish you comfort and an even better recovery than your first. Will be following your journey!
@BellaMac

Feeling sad and ridiculous because I realized I am sad because both of my hips will be artificial! This is a ridiculous thing to be sad about. I have end stage osteoarthritis in this left hip and should be happy that the excruciating pain I have been enduring for months will be gone. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I did, Robin. You're not alone in your feelings. To me its normal to be introspective and even to feel sad. Please don't feel it's ridiculous. You are exchanging a natural body part that you lived with for your entire life for a prosthetic. I think there is some mourning over that loss. I had a quiet little cry in bed the night before my THR. I thanked God for all the years my hip functioned normally and all I was able to do because of it. I am also thankful that we live in a time when we have the option of THR, giving us our life back. In the not so distant past, before hip replacements, many of us may have ended up in a wheelchair, or struggled with pain, years of meds, etc. Allow yourself those feelings and make peace with it all.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort and peace.
@BellaMac

@BellaMac I know what you mean and I had both hips replaced at the same time. The night before my surgery I spent some time having a quiet "conversation" with my hips. Sort of a meditation or quiet reflection. I commiserated with their pain, remembered some fun things we had done over my life time, thanked them for their service and said good-bye. I found that to be quite helpful. And now I am very grateful for the medical knowledge and skills available to give me and others pain free joints!

I understand the emotional roller coaster, also. I was younger than I ever thought I'd be before falling apart.

I remember feeling embarrassed and didn't want to tell my husband that I needed the first THR. I was afraid he would view me differently, older.

But that didn't happen and I definitely walk and act much younger with my shiny new hips!
You will too.

Thank you so much for all your replies with such wise words. I would truly be in a wheelchair in a matter of months, if it were not for atificial hips.

Will look for you on The Healing Side! :ok:

Praying for the best procedure, an easy recovery, and a great rehab! Let us hear from you when you are ready! ❤️

Best Wishes for today! Will be watching for you on the healing side.
Hugs
@BellaMac

Robin is now post op and her recovery thread can be found HERE

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member