TKR TKR Recovery Journey

Lol! On the subject of soap in the bed again, the first soap didn't work out, then tried Ivory and again,another wiggly night.
I ordered some homeopathic RLS help and we'll see if it works tonight.

Well, the homeopathic remedy worked exactly one night, like the soap. Placebo effect? I have found that drinking v-8 is helping somewhat, but am still waking up often throughout the night. I have on wool knee socks to help compress and warm my legs as well. My sympathies to everyone who is sleep-deprived and wiggly-legged! Keep trying different things, no matter how off the wall it may sound.

Hoping as you continue to heal your restless legs start to settle down.
Keep trying!

Yes the nights are something else. I have turned them around into something more positive once I decided it was going to be a while for a good nights sleep.
I now take a good load of pain meds about half an hour before settling and have a nice hot chocolate drink.
I massage my knee then ice and elevate.
Can settle for a couple hours then its all on for young and old!!!
When I am disturbed again repeat the process but also get up and take short walk and do some gentle stretching. FIgured if I was not going to sleep put the time to good use. Feels better not so stiff as well
Down load audio books,pod casts and music often go back to sleep for a few hours then repeat again.
Worst night so far listened to 20 chapters but focusing on the book put the pain and discomfort in the back ground. Mind tricks.
Does help you relax and focus on something else. My I have listen to some amazing books and discussions that part has been very interesting.
Now 6 weeks and wake several times but can settle much better and quicker with head phones.
Not everyone's cup of tea but works for me.
Half the battle was turning into something more positive than just a big problem.
Try to take several naps during the day
I know one day it will be a over and done with.

Cleaning waited for me! I just vacuumed and it really wore me out! 6 weeks post op!
I am cooking some. Tired of sitting around!
Take it easy, and you'll be back in no time!

Yes the nights are something else. I have turned them around into something more positive once I decided it was going to be a while for a good nights sleep.

I know one day it will be a over and done with.

Yes, the nights were something else! I echo everything you said and your approach with other activities and naps the first 8 weeks. I started to sleep better month 3 and now in month 4. I still wake up in the morning with glee when I slept well! The pain and memories are still too fresh. Hang in there - it will improve hopefully.

All good stuff! I think I need to ask my regular doc on Monday for some pain meds again. I've been trying to just do Tylenol xtra strength, but it's not working now. I have been unable to nap, darn it. I've been catching up on some favorite YouTube subscriptions and do walk around in the night to keep from getting too stiff. The Covid appears to be waning, thank God. Still no smell or taste - everything tastes kind of acidic to me. Will be glad to see that change!

So sorry to hear that you must cope with Covid as well as surgery! l wish you and your husband a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

I have had restless legs for many years and tried every remedy. It's worse now after BTKR. My 2 cents: 1) Never over-exercise. 2) Try Ionic Fizz Magnesium Plus, available on Amazon. I like Orange Vanilla best. The fizz speeds up absorption. Stops the restlessness, aids sleep, and is good for you, too.

Guess I'll take my own advice and drink some now!

Thank you for this suggestion! I'll give it a go

Mods, please create a new thread if this is too long? Thank you!
I am still dealing with horrid RLS, now during the day as well. I have Gabapentin being delivered this afternoon, God willing, which I am pinning maybe too much hope onto. I was up all last night when I finally crashed and then woke up swimming and stretching that leg again around 9am. Wish I could say I felt rested, but I just feel sick. I'm still recovering from Covid and my surgeon is concerned I'm not doing his exercises. Well, glad I'm not a people-pleaser, because I just want to get rest and less pain, not make him happy! Oh yes, I forgot to mention this sleep-deprivation and hobbling around makes me a "bit" grumpy☹ I have decided that I won't be getting the other knee done- not worth it! This was the worst one, anyway.

The hospital is probably going to be sending my husband home today (he has asthma, so the Covid made him crash and he's been in the hospital these past two weeks). He'll be on oxygen, he's a messy person and we live in a small home, so I'm looking at needing to let go of more than my kitties' hair lying around! I'm praying for giving grace to him!!

I feel like such a nasty, spoiled brat for dreading him coming home, because he'll be needing help as well and I have no energy to offer.
Obviously, just needed to vent because I know someone out there may understand. Hoo boy, sleep deprivation is ugly-amiright?

@Dedou,
Your plate is beyond full, and with your husband coming home, your plate will run over the top.
We're here for you to vent about your recovery challenges.
And now your surgeon is making exercise demands, as if you are not already moving around plenty with what you do at home and the gymnastics your legs do at night.
Here are two activities we recommend for ROM, you can do them 1-2 x a day.
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

We prefer members have one thread, it helps us to review your history to better advise you as you recover. Some threads have 100's of pages.

Wishing you and your husband full recovery from Covid and for your TKR to continue healing on its slow but sure road. :fingersx: the Gabapentin helps your RLS.

I have decided that I won't be getting the other knee done- not worth it! This was the worst one, anyway.
You may rethink that decision in the future @Dedou. You are still in the tough part of recovery, but it will start getting better soon. A few months from now when you're walking pain free on your brand new knee but the other one is cranky, you might start to think differently. As tough as my own recovery was I'm so happy I had it done. Hopefully you will be too.

Thank you, Pumpkin and FCBayern! This has made a wuss of me, but you all are so kind it helps, it truly does. I think I had topic and thread confused and wasn't sure if complaining about feeling overwhelmed was its own thread. So am I understanding right that I just keep posting to this thread?

Yes, just keep using this thread.

Any time you feel you'd like to change the thread title, just post what you'd like it to be and we'll change it for you.

my surgeon is concerned I'm not doing his exercises
Your knee is getting plenty of movement with all your daily activities, which I call natural PT. A list of reps of exercises is not necessary.

I’m sorry both you and your husband are going through so much, this early in recovery. Do what you have to, rest when you can. Vent here all you want!

Yes, just keep using this thread.

Any time you feel you'd like to change the thread title, just post what you'd like it to be and we'll change it for you.

Great, thanks for clarifying!

Do what you have to, rest when you can. Vent here all you want!

Oh my goodness you are doing it tough not only dealing with your knee butCovid and helping and supporting your poor husband
Lean on each other for strength and together life will be easier soon

I agree with everything said so far. You're in the right place to vent!

I have had Restless Legs for decades. The only way I can get to sleep is to swallow a HEAP of pills. I use Irwin Naturals "Power to Sleep" as well as their "CBD + Power to Sleep". For the last several weeks, I have doubled the quantities, and they hit me like an oncoming train within about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, I have some "interesting" times icing and/or elevating my knee, because the whole leg decides it want to ache and I have to fold it up into my thigh just to get a little bit of relief. Just as well I have a 120+ range of motion.

So from me, whatever it takes to get you asleep at this point is fair game.

I think you and your husband will have to look after each other.

Thank you all for being so supportive! Sometimes it just feels better to whine to understanding ears! My boss thinks I should be back in another week or two because a major fundraiser that I usually run is coming right up. Ummm, I can barely stand for more than 10-15 minutes without my operated leg getting all swollen and angry. Also, sitting for too long also gets that leg angry, tho I can go a bit longer. I'm supposed to get back there and do this HOW?
I chalk the slow progress to the advanced osteoporosis the surgeon found when he opened me up. I'm just literally going day to day. I was able to make a simple lunch today for us both, but he'll be on his own for supper as I'm hurting!
Last night I actually had the first full night's sleep since I had the TKR! I had Gabapentin delivered and it worked beautifully! The RLS I've been dealing with in my operated leg may have still been there, but I don't recall even rolling over once! I slept from 7pm to past 9am this morning! That was huge!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom