THR Meralgia Parasthetica - any experience?

Had the bandage removed today (YAY) and there was no drainage but there was a little blood after removing it. The nurse said it looked good ( I had glue) but all it does is make me nervous, so I'm not going to look at it until Monday, otherwise I'll be looking at it every 15 minutes. The swelling has gone down but it feels like a hard lump under the glue which is what hip #1 felt like. There is no more lump on hip#1 from 6 months ago so I know what to expect.

Went down my stairs and out the front door with my PT today for the first time since coming home. (YAY) I walked slowly around my small court with a cane and practiced getting in/out of the car. I have one of those car canes which helps a lot. I felt good about this because I hope to go out for Thanksgiving which will involve a 30 minute car ride. Looking forward to my noisy relatives distracting me for the day.

Reduced my oxycodone as it was making me very nauseous and so constipated. Tried everything during the week ( senokot, miralax and prunes) and finally had an explosion all day yesterday. YIKES! so I'm going back to taking the senokot tonight and a few prunes tomorrow and see what happens so it doesn't get as bad as this week. In addition, pain was terrible yesterday along with the constipation fight so I wasn't happy camper. I become easily overwhelmed. Today was better though.

Pain has decreased but still hurts like hell when bending that area getting in/out of bed and sofa. Can only lift my leg a little in the middle of the night for a bathroom trip so I don't wake my husband to help me. Sitting at the dinner table hurt last night. Ate standing up for awhile with hip #1.

Mainly watching TV. I can't seem to concentrate on anything meaningful on my Kindle. Looking forward to week #2 being over. I'm using that and my Thanksgiving trip as a mini milestone. Because of the holiday weekend I won't be seeing the surgeon til the following Monday.

This is certainly a psychological wear and tear injury with it's ups and downs. Happy to be able to write here and read everyone's struggles and successes.:)

Even with the pain you sound like you are progressing. You are more adventurous than I. We are staying in for Thanksgiving.

Sitting is no fun , try a soft cushion. You might want to take one with you to Thanksgiving.

I am progressing. Actually supervised laundry today and folded it. I don't trust my husband with laundry.

Have a peaceful night.

Haven't noticed you mention whether you are icing and elevating. If you're not you may really want to start, ice is your best friend. And if you're going to reduce your pain meds even though you're still having pain it sure might help. I basically iced anytime I wasn't up and moving around. :ice: You may also want to think about taking a small cooler with some ice packs with you on Thanksgiving. And, as @leejaa said, a cushion to take with you in case you need elevation and some extra cushioning at your relatives.

I'm getting ready to go downstairs and take the laundry out of the dryer because my husband doesn't get the 'fold it while they're hot' routine. He starts and I finish.

All good advice for Thanksgiving day, travel with ice packs and pillow. I hope I'm up to it. I am buying a half turkey breast with veggies/potatoes etc tomorrow just in case we can't go and we have to cook ourselves. Now I'm wondering about the toilet situation as I have a raised toilet thing at home. I'll have to try without it before Thursday. My husband's family is a lot of fun and laughs and I would like to go for his sake even if it's for a little while. Fortunately, it's a small group. Between hip #1 and now #2 , it's been almost a year of limitations. He's been super and I would like to try... I'll decide on Wed.

Always icing and elevating.

All good advice for Thanksgiving day, travel with ice packs and pillow. I hope I'm up to it. I am buying a half turkey breast with veggies/potatoes etc tomorrow just in case we can't go and we have to cook ourselves.

I think you'll be just fine at your relatives, and the fun and laughter will be a boost to you emotionally. Just take it easy, and I'm sure you'll do well. I hope you have the food that you bought as a nice meal after visiting with family.

Now I'm wondering about the toilet situation as I have a raised toilet thing at home. I'll have to try without it before Thursday.

I wouldn't worry about the toilet too much as there will be people there to assist you if you need help.

Between hip #1 and now #2 , it's been almost a year of limitations.

Believe me, I hear you about the "year of limitations." I feel that I've lost precious time too. I'm joining you soon as a "double hippie!"

Be well and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving...

So glad to hear you can manage some stairs and fold laundry at this stage.
You sound like you are healing well and being careful to ice and rest, yay!

Hope you will be able to figure out how to get out for Thanksgiving.

Remember, no two hip recoveries are the same, even on the same person. So, you may need to take meds a little longer this time.

@Elf1 - Actually, I've been a little worried lately about my upcoming 2nd hip replacement as the OS indeed told me it might be different in terms of pain. When I had my hip MRI right before my diagnosis the tech said "You must have a high tolerance for pain." Needless to say, that wasn't very comforting, but after the IV was removed after surgery the following day, I never had to take anything stronger that Tylenol for two weeks after surgery.

Obviously, what "is" is going to be what "is."

@DesertDiva not to hijack @ritabell thread but you won't know until it's done. Some also day it was way easier so you'll just have to see. Good thing is you know what to expect and things to do to feel better.

Hello and a Happy Saturday to you @ritabell
At 15 days post op you may be able to tolerate a short car ride and a small gathering of family as long as you can get reasonably comfortable while there. I'm sure they won't expect much out of you and aside from figuring out your toileting needs it sounds doable to me. I echo the idea of bringing a few ice packs and a pillow for extra comfort. Wherever you decide to celebrate, home, or away, I hope you enjoy!

Day 11 , it's 2 AM and I'm not sleeping. Decided to take a mild tranquilizer. Had a busy day. I went to trader joe's which is my favorite small grocery store ( 5 aisles?) and was able to walk around the perimeter holding onto the grocery cart which was like a walker while my husband ran up/down the aisles getting supplies. It was fun but exhausting. I had the most difficulty getting in/out of the car even though I practiced it with my PT and remember from hip #1. Was gone not even an hour. It was my first adventure ut of the house. Iced when I got home on the sofa as I was exhausted. My friend brought lunch later in the day which was a distraction for an hour. Rested again afterward. Husband got take-out for dinner. All in all, it was a big day. Only took 1 oxycodone in the AM and felt uncomfortable but pain at about a 2-3. . Didn't want to take another oxy as I don't like the way I feel on them. Couldn't walk outside nearly as good as I have been in the house hallways.

Here's my questions/ concerns:
1. I spend most of my time resting on the sofa on propped up pillows for my head and legs. I'm not comfortable sitting at all for anything for than 10 minutes. I'm in an awkward position when I sit as well. I try to get up every 1-2 hours and walk down the hall a few times but worry that I am too sedentary. Any thoughts?

2. Now that my bandage is off, all I'm thinking about is my incision which has been closed with glue like hip #1. The nurse said it looks fine. I think it looks creepy. There's a big bulge under the incision which I remember from last time but I have no clue how long it lasts. Any idea? It is gone from hip #1. It also feels "funny" (medical term) when I move my leg. Feels like the implant/bone is right under that incision which I am sure it is. That whole area is sore and uncomfortable and the nurse said it's normal for the second week. Any thoughts? I don't see the OS until next week.

Trying to sleep now.

Hi @ritabell
I remember this time being a particularly annoying part of recovery.
Tired of sitting, reclining or wanting to do more but my body not having it yet.:umm:
Outside walking is harder work...step ups and downs, inclines and declines...
It's going to get easier, as you know.

I think you are doing very well, but it is just the part where it is hard to do and hard to do nothing.:groan:One of my incisions smoothed out the first weeks fairly well, but the other looked very bumpy for the first months.

Try not to worry...still very early days and you are doing well!
Big hugs for a peaceful Sunday.

Sleep is elusive and frustrating, I'm right there with you. Been awake since 3:40am. I even took another Benadryl. This too will pass but I do wish it would hurry up.

Sitting can be a challenge. I still don't do that much of it unless slouched and with cushions.

I was amazed to read if your grocery store adventures. I have not been out of the house. Good thing I have a lot of windows and live in the country.

As far as activity. Seems like it is early to be doing too much. The body is still recovering.

Hope you have a lovely day and you can get a nap

So glad you responded. I need to hear that what I am feeling is normal. Did too much on Sat by going to Trader Joe's. Oh well...lesson learned. Woke up crying this AM and feeling overwhelmed and feeling sorry for myself. A lot of the reason is that my daughter who is expecting a baby in early Jan along with my only granddaughter lives in Maryland and I saw them in early Oct but won't see them until shortly before the new baby arrives. Although we facetime, it's not the same as being with them in person more frequently. i get jealous of everyone I know whose children live near them and resent that we don't live closer. For hip # 1, I didn't see them for 6 months as she had surgery as well and neither or us could fly or suffer the 6 hour drive. I find that when physical things affect me like these 2 back to back hip surgeries, I become so emotional.. For hip [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] I cried quite a lot about everything especially for going off the oxy. Is this common? Now, I feel like this is going to be the rest of my life, one health problem after another and not having things the way I was them. This is difficult for me to accept. My poor husband is so supportive and is so encouraging but on days like today, I just want to hide.

Probably shouldn't have taken that 1/2 low dose tranquilizer either last night because it has worn off. Between that and going off the oxycodone, this is what happens. I want to be one of those happy -go-lucky recoverers who always positive but that's just not me right now I'm sorry to say. I think today I will try walking around the house more and sitting up more. Maybe that will make me feel better. For hip # 1, every little milestone madam happy. i seem to have lost that for hip #2.

:console2:
Dont like to hear you blue, but what a year you have had, and just one week post #2...not surprising it feels overwhelming
Now, I feel like this is going to be the rest of my life, one health problem after another and not having things the way I was then
Of couse this will not be your life...many of us feel very anxious about our outcomes but I found my 2 new hips, once recovered, have inspired me to be more active and more fit.
I want to be one of those happy -go-lucky recoverers who always positive but that's just not me right now I'm sorry to say.
You are allowed a pity party...i had a few, just dont get stuck in it.
I found that Tears often had a great release effect.
I think today I will try walking around the house more and sitting up more. Maybe that will make me feel better.
Please do...we often fake it until we make it.
Big hugs for a better day.

You are not alone in the emotion roller coaster. Was crying last night because if the sleep issue. Almost crying because husband seems to think since I am walking more, I am fine. Irritable and emotional is my normal.

Recovery and surgery is hard. I am sorry you are also far from your daughter. I don't have children so do not have that concern.

I keep telling myself this too will pass. We will get through this.

@ritabell So sorry you are feeling blue. I think it is fairly common after such a major surgery, at first. I think the Bonesmart library even has an article about it, and maybe there is a thread about it somewhere, too.
You can’t compare yourself to others, your feelings are your feelings. From what I have read, the first three days are the worst, but in general the first two weeks are very tough and gradually it gets better from there.
Who ever thought we could get older, but get new parts, to make aging a little more graceful?
Any chance you can get out in the sun and sit for ten minutes, to grab some happy rays of sunshine?

Im glad youre home. I get out of bed on the operative leg. I had my surgery Nov5, 2019. Just 2 weeks and 5 days. Im still using the walker and a little of bit of the arm crutches. The doctor took off my bandage. I didnt have stiches or staples just the glue. My leg still feels heavy lot of pressure on the left knee and of course is difficult to sleep because I am so uncomfortable sleeping on my back with a wedge between my legs. Keep on icing it has helped me out tremendously no pain, no bruising and no swelling. Thank God for that. Get better love
Im here for you to laugh, to cry or just talk. Blessings, Gretelin

:hi: Good Morning!
I'm sorry you're feeling down today @ritabell
It will pass, which isn't much comfort when you're in the midst of it, but it is very common early on to feel a bit depressed. Following is the article on Post Op Blues from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't read it yet. Feeling tired, engaging in limited physical activity all while suffering pain can feel overwhelming, thankfully it's only temporary.

I'm not comfortable sitting at all for anything for than 10 minutes. I'm in an awkward position when I sit as well. I try to get up every 1-2 hours and walk down the hall a few times but worry that I am too sedentary.

Read the Activity Progression for THR (below) if you haven't already. I referenced and followed it loosely in the first couple months. It's meant as a rough gauge, but following it should keep you in the safety zone, as opposed to the ODIC.

That whole area is sore and uncomfortable and the nurse said it's normal for the second week. Any thoughts?

A "controlled" trauma occurred. Flesh sliced, soft tissue disturbed, bone sawed and reamed out, metal prosthetic pounded into place. Hate to be graphic, but it often puts it in perspective. I'd say it's normal that you're going to hurt for awhile. I'd ice as often as is tolerable. It helps with pain and swelling.

I hope as the day progresses your mood lightens and it brings a smile to your face. Sending a warm hug and wishes for a Happy Sunday! :)

Good morning @ritabell I am sorry you are feeling so blue. Please know that it is the normal state of things early on, which I'm sure you recall from before. But sometimes it's good for other hippies to remind you. ((hugs))
I was bothered by a lumpy, bumpy incision line, too. With both hips. I think the lumpiness eased at around 3 weeks? Maybe 4? But I would see people posting pictures early on of their scars and theirs didn't look like mine. But it all evened out and I have nice clean white lines now.
I hope the links that Layla left for you help. I found comfort in reading them, even though I thought I knew what they would say, I always found something that helped.

All of my family lives far away from me.. it stinks.. :console2:

This will pass, try to be kind to yourself today..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back