THR Meralgia Parasthetica - any experience?

Sending positive thoughts your way. My Dr told me that he puts anti-inflammatory medication at the site when he does the anterior approach ---the first days are easier. In his educational materials refers to 4-7 days as "the furnace' a more difficult time when swelling and the healing process catches up with you, burning calories and needing lots of fluids.

I also had 'log leg' and more swelling/discomfort in the middle part of week one with both THR. With the Hip #1 I called the office hysterical thinking I had dislocated the joint bc I had been feeling so good then Pow! Used a leg lifter and that helped as did elevation and icing. That is also when I found the bonesmart forum which was very reassuring.

Hi there. Looks like we are sharing the constipation fun. I upped my dosage of senokot plus took some Miralax this am. I have been eating prunes. Right along also. I will crossy fingers for both of us.

Otherwise,this hip seems to be more uncomfortable than the first one.pain is controlled but I think it is the fact that I am frustrated at not being able to move as I wish.

We are on our bumpy road at this time but hopefully soon we will be all better and not even remember this part. Wishing you a peaceful day.

leejaa,
My leg muscles hurt more than last time especially when I get up/down from sofa/chair/ bed. Yikes, I see stars even with the pain meds. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and the constipation will be gone.

@ritabell no two recoveries are the same, even on the same person. I have noticed a few people on here who felt their second recovery was harder than the first. Also, try to ice a bit longer, I believe you said you're doing it for 30 minutes. Try doing 45-60 each time or better yet, anytime you aren't actually up and moving around. You're really early on, just rest and recuperate right now.

Hi @ritabell . How are you today. I am sleepy on and off which is normal. Still constipated. Drank lots of warm prune juice along with eating prunes. Drinking lots of Gatorade zero also to stay hydrated. I think it is time for more pumpkin puree with cinnamon. Supposed to help due to all the fiber.

Hoping you are having a restful Sunday.

I just bought Pumpkin puree at Trader Joe's for my Thanksgiving pie but will have some today instead. I love pumpkin pie. You can't believe how much "stuff" I took for the constipation (senokot, colace, miralax) last night and it finally worked this afternoon. Also, warmed 8 soft prunes in water this AM. Ate the prunes and then drank the water so maybe that finally did it.

Can't believe I'm having entire conversations about constipation.

I am surprised that the pain meds aren't totally controlling my pain but don't want to take more than prescribed so I think I'll add tylenol. Swelling in feet is gone but knee and bottom half of leg comes and goes. I will increase the icing and think I should actually time it.

Question #4. For hip [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] they said no showering until after the bandage was removed. Now they say I can shower after day 4. What were you told? My surgeon uses glue and this time the area under/around the bandage feels tight because of the swelling. It makes me nervous.

Congratulations . Yes, it is interesting how life becomes focused around our bodily function when it does not cooperate. I was also successful. Now I'm dealing with a bit of diarrhea. I know this will pass.

I have been prescribed and taking extra strength Tylenol right along with my Dilaudid (hydromorphone) 2mg. I ice pretty much non stop day and night when I am in the recliner which is most of the time. This way I don't have to time it. I get fresh ice packs when I get up in the middle of the night.

Also drinking Gatorade more than water. Somehow post op I always seem to want things with flavor.

I hope you have a restful night.

I hope you are feeling ok today. Just stopping by to say hi. It is interesting how each recovery is so different.

Trying to practice patience again since never learned.

Hope your day was peaceful.

Question #4. For hip [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] they said no showering until after the bandage was removed. Now they say I can shower after day 4. What were you told? My surgeon uses glue and this time the area under/around the bandage feels tight because of the swelling. It makes me nervous.

Hi @ritabell Glad to hear about the bathroom activity. :yay::egypdance:

You most likely have one of the waterproof bandages over your incision and if you do, it should be discussed in your discharge papers? I was able to enjoy a shower as soon as I could handle it thanks to that lovely tight bandage.
But if you are nervous I would recommend contacting your OS office to get reassurance.

You are really early on in your recovery and overall you sound like you are coping well. the first week or two can be a little rugged at times. Take care, rest, :ice:, and elevate.
Have a good, peaceful evening!

You write something in another post that really resonated with me. It was about the relief and lack of pain right after surgery and then the rest of the recovery has to happen.
It fit my mind completely. The PT yesterday was surprised I was not as cherry as the notes reported from the nurse visit last Friday. I was thinking about that and my feelings and then your comment popped up perfectly explaining the phenomenon.

Like you I am grateful for the technology that makes this possible but can't wait to be past this stage and on to living.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, as you know reading these posts really helps.

Hi, @ritabell, just want to say even though it doesn't feel great right now, you are recovering and it will get better. My experience is that the second hip's recovery has been tougher than hip [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] but I also think the first couple of weeks are just the pits, and it's a challenge to get through them. I got the glue strip for hip#2 and I also got to shower earlier than with hip #1 where I couldn't shower until a few days out, and had to use this plastic wrap sheet every time I showered--a huge pain. Unfortunately, I developed an allergic reaction to the glue strip which meant despite the ability to shower earlier, I had to deal with the allergic reaction. But, it's always something! I am betting you'll enjoy that first shower!

:hi: I hope you've been doing well since you last posted.
Happy One Week Anniversary! :yay:

they said no showering until after the bandage was removed. Now they say I can shower after day 4.

Just to be clear...wondering if the two they above are one in the same?
Or have you received instruction on this from two separate sources? I'd check with the office of your OS. I'm sure a nurse, or PA, will call you back and clarify / advise.

Happy Wednesday...I hope it's a good one!

Just stopping by to say hi and see how you are doing. I hope you are getting more pain relief.

For Hip #1 in March, the OS left in the discharge papers no showering until after bandage was removed. For Hp # 2, he said I could shower on day 5. The nurse came today and reaffirmed that I could shower now as I have waterproof bandage. I don' know if I can get my leg over the tub even with the shower seat but I will try tomorrow as I know that will be the highlight of my day!!!! My husband installed a really nice hand held shower spray nozzle for hip # 1 surgery that I love because its so flexible and he's very proud of himself that he did it himself without a plumber. I complement him every day . Too afraid and unsure of myself to use the regular shower because I'm afraid of getting out more than getting in , so I'll just wait on that for a week or 2.

Muscle pain has diminished although today I had PT who is very mindful of pain levels and gentle with his approach. I feel that only 1/2 my upper leg muscles hurt instead of all of them so I guess that's an improvement. I find the first 2 weeks frustrating because I don't know how much to do... I know these muscle are stiff and have to be used and "stretched," but am so afraid of overdoing it like last time's PT. I try to walk up/down the hallway a few times every other hour in addition to bathroom trips etc. That little voice in my head is always lecturing me about exercise. Ankle pumps while i'm resting.

@leejaa.. how are you doing with your recovery?

Hi @ritabell, considering you are only 7 days after the surgery... you are doing well! Don't be concerned about how much to do because you don't need to do anything... just allow your body to recover from the trauma you had on Nov 13th. There will be plenty of time to stretch and do other PT exercises.

There are no chores just listening to your body and recovering.

I am going ok. Celebrated the waterproof bandage coming off. Felt really good about that and then tonight have pain in buttock and groin a bit. Typical recovery trick - one gets excited about one thing and the body says you are still very early in recovery and I am going to hurt in a different spot. Still getting by on Tylenol which is good for the brain but like you tired .

I hope you have a peaceful night .

I am getting nervous about the oxycodone especially after the visiting nurse came today and talked to me about the oxycodone. My surgery was one week ago and I have basically been taking 10mg oxycodone 2x daily , 8 AM and 8 PM with tylenol in between except for Sat and Sun where I took 10 mg 3 x each day as the pain had increased but I didn't like the way I felt, so I returned to 2x daily. . My pain level getting up/down and walking is about a 4-5 but when resting/sleeping, relaxing, it's hardly any pain. It has helped me keep walking throughout the day but I want to stop/taper.

Last March (hip#1) I only took oxycodone for 1 week ( the same dosing) and started the taper . Cut each does by 1/2 so I took 5 mg twice a day but had trouble sleeping while I did this, so I'm nervous about what to do this time and want to start tomorrow (Thursday) It makes me very nervous because of all the talk about it and I really never took a opiod except for last year's surgery. I want to be off it as soon as safely possible. Any advice or success stories?

You have a good handle on how to describe your current pain level. Maybe a call to your doctor may help?

Here are some interesting articles in our library

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks