TKR Vice around knee one year post op

What Celle wrote is accurate!! After having gone thru this and getting ready to go thru it again nothing is set in stone as far as recovery goes. The only thing that is for certain it will take time and patience emphasis on patience. I am not a good example but the last total rev. was summer 2018 had a partial rev last Dec. I still cannot walk up and down stairs normally in fact I avoid as much as possible.

Hi!
I noticed a bump on my incision as well. I was worried it was the start of an infection but I am 12/13 weeks out with still a slight bump and my OS says everything looks normal, so, I basically feel the bump is here to stay and I’m ok with it. I worried so much about everything my first two months by month three I’m all worried out! Lol. I am accepting that this recovery will indeed take a year. Thank goodness my daughters wedding is on month 13 post TKR. Stay safe.

For me, the constant "burning pain" went away around week 10 post-op. However, 5 1/2 months post-op, I'm having the burning pain on both knees now when standing or sitting down. I'm elevating and icing but not noticing any improvement. I'm trying to be patient as I know this is a long recovery but it is frustrating. :hairpulling: :censored:

As time goes on those bumps should straighten out. In a new recovery the incision early on isn't what it will end up looking and feeling like. I would worry about it until it gets red and hot.

PT said today I need to build up quad muscle. How? He should be lunges and steps.

It’s really a bit early to try to build up your quad muscle. It‘s only been about a month since you had a major surgery, and all your soft tissue was traumatized during this surgery.

Give yourself more time to heal, your quad will strengthen itself as you heal and as you are able to do more activities. I think some PTs don’t realize how much this surgery takes out of us in the early weeks. Lunges are especially taxing on us this early in recovery.

Several months down the road you can work on strengthening, if you want/need to.

@Jockette PT loves to scare people. He said my patella isn’t tracking right because of the weak quad. When I walk it it swollen plus a feeling of pushing from inner knee to patella ??? Off track

The bump is where the internal stitches are knotted. My surgeon told me to do friction massage on the bump. I am almost 3 months out. I've been walking upstairs normally for a month but I still am unable to go down as my knee is tight and I'm scared of falling. I do the bottom stair.

@Colette As I was researching this sight I saw the following on a post
PoorKnees said:
The thing is that I really HAVE been elevating regularly and icing most of the day and night (because I have been reading your advice for some time) and yet the tight band feeling, with a slight twist to the inner side, persists - it drives me nuts!!!!
The tight band feeling is part of the pain and swelling you have. It's also the result of normal scar tissue, which will dissipate, in time. It's not eh bad sort of scar tissue that the therapists worry you about and you don't need to do anything about it, except treat your knee gently and take effective pain relief.

That is what is bothering me the most. That is when the PT said to massage my scar and i have no clue how. I hate looking at my knee!!

Had to leave my brother's house 15 minutes after I got there on this CHristmas day. I am 8 1/2 weeks out, and for the past week, I have finally started feeling better about this knee. Anyways, I walk in and my one brother starts making smart remarks about me milking this knee. Guys he works with are back to work. Funny how there were several all having knee replacements at the same time. Anyways, the other brother starts agreeing. I asked if they researched any of this out, and they just kept putting me down. OK, so I walk to get a bite to eat, and my 2 sister in laws are talking about helping each other out. Funny not one of the four has ever called me since my surgery to see how I am doing, if I need anything, etc. Mind you, I am by myself!!!!!! How can I milk anything when I have to do everything alone? Also, in there was my 60th birthday, in which none of them even acknowledged. Sorry for the rant, but I know where I stand, especially in the time of need, with my own family. My son and dil helped, but they work, even OT, and my mom. That's it. I hope you all have better support than I.

I’m sorry some of your family members were so inconsiderate. I don’t blame you for leaving, you don’t need that.

We know exactly what you are going through, we’ve been right where you are now. Take care of yourself as best you can, and do what is right for you. :console2:

So sorry you had to go through this. You are not ranting, it is sad they are not helpful. I am six weeks so not far behind you and I need to space out activities and could not imagine being back to work in a few weeks. Good for those other people but with all the reading I have done sounds like they would be exceptional recoveries. Hopefully you can relax and enjoy a good movie or something because you certainly did not deserve the added stress.

Guys he works with are back to work. Funny how there were several all having knee replacements at the same time.
I agree with you! It sounds like someone is trying to pull your leg. Even if many he works with had knee surgery, I bet they were not knee replacements. A lot of people don't know the difference unless they've actually had them. You did the right thing leaving. No one should have to put up with that kind of abuse. I recovered mostly alone and I know what you are going through. Even getting out and going to a function as you did is remarkable. We are with you here and understand what you are going through.
You are never alone when you have God and Bonesmart!

Back to work as a 1st grade teacher at week 12 yesterday. Wow, talk about swelling. I iced it twice during the day, and came home to elevate and ice 3 times. I rode my recumbent bike also. My building as lots of stairs, so PT said that would be a workout! TO sleep, I wrapped my knee in an ace wrap, which helped a lot. Onward to day 2.
Other than the swelling, patella pain which is more pain than the tightness I had been having. Maybe this is a sign of healing? So tired of the swelling and tightness.

@cshs78 Congratulations on your return to work. Please don't feel you have to do anything other than work at this point. You need to build up your energy levels. Work alone is plenty of exercise.

Is there a place where you could store an ice pack at work? Even just a few minutes icing and elevating during the day might help.

Yes, there is a refridge up here, I did bring a big ice pack. I took the ace wrap off and see how I do today!

Try using the ace bandage to hold the ice pack in place while you work @cshs78, I found that very helpful.

It has been since January since I posted. I will be 6 months out on Monday with right total knee replacement. When is this swelling going to stop? I can't take it.

My sister‘s knees took almost a full year for swelling to go down completely. Everyone is different. Hang in there. You’ve gotten this far, so we know you have courage to go on!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom