Knee Infection* Right TKR revision from staph infection<

I’m all good now, @MzzzCat . The infection happened a month after my TKR in November 2013. I’m just adding my support and experience. Thank you though!

Timebuster—I love your idea of documenting everything while in hospital.

I learn my lesson from my first TKR experience to document everything. I tried to sue my OS for botching my knee In 2012. I went to two highly recommended lawyers who are experienced in joint replacement failures.

In fact, the lawyer I saw in New York City was also a medical doctor. The first lawyer decline to take my case, the second lawyer from New York City, frankly told me if he took my case it would be in the courts forever and my chances of winning would be slim to none. Plus, he wanted an upfront retainer fee which at that time I didn't have to proceed with my case even if I wanted to.

The last thing on my mind right now is suing doctors or hospitals. But if that day comes I have to take legal action, I'm more then ready this time.

Took a nice brisk walk outside with my four-wheel walker this afternoon, I came back did a couple of reps of knee flexion, hamstring, quad and calf stretch. Finished off with five minutes on my miniature exercise bicycle. I feel like I can run a marathon right now LOL just kidding. Just because I can't put bear weight my knee right now I have no excuse to let all the hard work I did before my knee started acting up to go to waste.

I have a question for @Josephine do you have any experience with Chondromalacia?

I was doing some research and came across Chondromalacia and the pain I'm having when I put bear weight on my knee is very similar to those of Chondromalacia. My OS did not put a button behind my patella during surgery. She said my patella was too degenerated to drill holes in it to place the button. I have no issues with the kneecap moving around or slipping out of place. But the pain I'm having when I put bear weight on my knee is right behind the kneecap. I'm just wondering at this point.

Thanks in advance.

do you have any experience with Chondromalacia?
My OS did not put a button behind my patella during surgery. She said my patella was to degenerated to drill holes in it to place the button.
Well, she's not wrong.
I have no issues with the kneecap moving around or slipping out of place. But the pain I'm having when I put bear weight on my knee is right behind the kneecap.
You might think it okay but your pain is directly as a result from not having a patellar button. I think you need to find another surgeon.

You might think it okay but your pain is directly as a result from not having a patellar button. I think you need to find another surgeon.

I'll do a Donald Trump, YOU'RE FIRED :rotfl:

No Josephine, I respect your opinion but I'm not firing anyone. One step at a time, let me get through these next appointments and I'll go from there. I have the utmost confidence in my OS until she proves me wrong I'm sticking with her. Not only do I believe my OS has my best interest, I know for a fact if there is a problem with my knee she will do anything in her power to correct it.

TKR surgeries are hit or miss, everyone that I have encountered including on here had some type of issues one time or the other. It's just the nature of the beast. I always followed my heart, gut, and intuition, those character traits have worked for me for most of my life, I'm not about to abandon them now.

If I'm proven wrong I'll be the first one to admit it and chalk it up as a life lesson and continue to move forward.

So after yesterday appointment with the OS, we can now rule out infection, thank goodness. That's a big, big weight lifted off my shoulders. Bloodwork and x-rays came back clean. I have no swelling, the incision is healing nicely, she checked for any looseness in my knee no issues there, and since my last visit with my OS at week 6 my ROM has improved from 100/0 to 120/0. All indications that I should be having a good recovery.

So why do have pain only when I stand up and put bear weight on my surgical leg?

She said.

In traditional knee replacement surgery, the surgeon cuts muscles, tendons and ligaments to get to the knee joint. When you have two major knee surgeries in less than three months, more tissues, muscles and tendons are cut during surgery, the recovery is more painful and the healing process takes even longer.

You also have to take into consideration during your first surgery we put in a cement antibiotic spacer and the 2 rods to prevent your knee from bending with no bear weight just toe touch for three months, during that time your muscles and tendons were not being utilized and become even weaker. If I recall, after your second surgery I put you on a six-week no bear weight just toe touch restriction. So obviously once you started putting bear weight on your knee your muscles and tendons started screaming.

The bottom line, she feels the pain I'm having stems from having weak muscles and tendons since there is no other obvious reason for my pain. She recommended I start physical therapy right away and in six weeks if I don't feel any improvement to make another appointment with her and we'll go from there.

I'm just so grateful and thrilled to death that I don't have reoccurring knee infection. Anyone that's been through the nightmare of a two-stage TKR revision with a staph infection can testify to this. I have been through a lot in my adult life, but nothing ever prepared me or tested my will to survive like the last four months from having back-to-back TKR surgeries.

@TimeBuster hurray for no infection or problems with the knee replacement. I am amazed at how much soft tissue muscle and tendon recovery there is involved with this whole thing..but I guess it took years to get into this state needing replacements so ...patience and perseverance!! Hang in there, cheering you on!

So after yesterday appointment with the OS, we can now rule out infection, thank goodness. That's a big, big weight lifted off my shoulders. Bloodwork and x-rays came back clean. I have no swelling, the incision is healing nicely, she checked for any looseness in my knee no issues there, and since my last visit with my OS at week 6 my ROM has improved from 100/0 to 120/0. All indications that I should be having a good recovery.
That's all great news!

The bottom line, she feels the pain I'm having stems from having weak muscles and tendons since there is no other obvious reason for my pain. She recommended I start physical therapy right away and in six weeks if I don't feel any improvement to make another appointment with her and we'll go from there.
That sounds like a logical plan.
Make sure that you're in charge of the PT sessions, so that they start in gently and don't overwork your knee at first.
You are allowed to set limits on what you do - no pain, no pushing on your knee, no weights.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Thank you @DLR I appreciate your kind words and support.

Until I had my appointment with my OS there was a big dark cloud hanging over my head not knowing if this nasty infection had returned. After the good news, I feel like I turned over a new leaf in life. Now that that's behind me I can fully concentrate on working on strengthening my knee when I start physical therapy next week.

OMG, my muscles are shot :yikes:

Had my first physical therapy session yesterday, don't fret administrators and moderators, there was no pulling, torquing or excessive force, just simple exercises and stretches lol An hour-long session of exercise I can feel the burn in my muscles. Especially around the quads and tendons surrounding the knee. So much, at the end of the session when I was doing sets of toe to heal my quadriceps muscles started having uncontrollable shaking/trembling.

The physical therapist said the reason for the muscles shaking is because the muscles are trying to fire up from being fatigued for so many years. The shaking indicates that you're asking more from your muscles than they are used to doing, which is certainly a big component of exercise and challenging your knee to go places you haven’t gone in a long time. Once your muscles become accustomed to doing these exercises, this action will become smoother and your trembling will decrease. Since quivering means that your muscles are hard at work, you just want to be careful not to overdo it for now.

This morning I woke up with both of my legs feeling a little sore and when I got out of bed I can feel my quadriceps trembling for a few seconds until I started moving around. Also amazed from all the exercise I expected my knee to be a little swollen this morning but it's not. I did ice and elevate throughout the day even though I had no signs of pain or swelling after PT. That sharp pain when I put bear weight on my new knee is starting to diminish now it's more like a dull tightness around my knee. I'm starting to feel hope this is nothing more than weak muscles from all the years of being inactive physically and all the muscle loss from favoring my bad leg.

Thanks @DLR

Physical therapist printed out a detailed exercise program with pictures he wants me to follow at home. This morning I set aside my walker and started using my cane. Gentle steps for now until I build up the muscles around the knee. Since I don't have any other issue with my knee, I'm feeling very optimistic I'm on the right course.

Reactions: DLR
Walking patterns change after knee replacement surgery. It’s a good idea after recovery to purchase new shoes, including walking shoes, because old shoes have a different worn pattern then you will have after your surgery.

It’s important to have a walking shoe that is stable and will help you adjust to walking again. Also, this shoe after knee replacement surgery should be very supportive for your ankle and heel to prevent injury. Lastly, it is important to have a walking shoe that is comfortable and cushions your foot.

This concludes today's PSA :)

The reason why I bring that up Friday at PT the physical therapist got a glance at the bottom of my sneakers and made me aware my sneakers worn pattern is causing me to walk that old way which can result in pain and not beneficial for proper gait. So yesterday I went and bought me a brand-new pair of walking sneakers. Right off the back, I can tell it made a big difference. I have no idea why this didn't cross my mind prior to the PT making me aware of it but I'm glad he did, it's what the doctor ordered.

The plot thickens.

Went to physical therapy yesterday, PT complemented my new pair of sneakers, but he also notice something else, I was wearing shorts for the first time since I been going to physical therapy, the PT noticed that my surgical knee was bending to one side as I was walking, or in his words, buckling to the right. If I didn't see with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. I looked in the mirror and lo and behold, my new knee is leaning to the right.

Called my OS, left a message on her phone, she called me back within a few hours. I told her that my knee is buckling to the right when I walk. She asked me a few questions like if I was in any pain, swollen or hot, I said no. She wants me to come in Thursday morning since she has surgery today.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Has anybody been through this before?

As you can imagine I have a thousand things going through my head right now and tomorrow can't come any sooner.

Last edited:
Please let us know what the doctor says tomorrow. I have no idea what could be causes this. I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your questions.

PT noticed that my surgical knee was buckling to the right.
Gosh that's a thing! But I have no idea what is causing this - sorry. I will be very interested to hear what the surgeon has to say for herself.

Too upset to post.

@Josephine and the rest of the Bonesmart community who's been following my journey.

A complete tear of LCL (lateral collateral ligament) Surgery scheduled for July 30.

Be back tomorrow with the complete story when I'm in a better frame of mind.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom