BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Right TKR Jan 22

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by LBAK, Jan 3, 2019.

1. LBAK

LBAK new member

United States United States
    Hi-
    I just found this forum and I'm so glad I did! I am having a RTKR on Jan. 22nd. I have been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for years and I'm looking forward to getting rid of years of pain in my knee. I am just wondering how much longer it takes for RA patients to heal. My OS told me I'd be high risk because of the RA. I've been off my biologics for 4 weeks already and can't go back on them for 4-6 weeks after surgery. I'm curious to see how everyone has managed and if anyone has advice to get through this.

Thanks!

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @LBAK - and :welome:

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

3. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @LBAK I also have #rheumatoidarthritis and have had two tkrs. I'm not on biologics but we've had other RAers on Bonesmart who were on them (but off them for the surgery like you) and they did well.

I took no longer than average to heal. But as you'll see as you explore the forum, tkr is very much an "individual sport" :heehee:

I think paying attention to your nutrition is important. One thing I found interesting and helpful with my first knee was a visit by a home health nurse.( I think this wound up being mostly for my reassurance as this was my first ever surgery) She checked the incision (everything was fine) and gave me some handouts on wound healing nutrition. Not some crazy diet or special supplements but just stuff like making sure of getting foods with protein, iron, vitamin C and so on (and giving a nice list of which foods were high in what vitamin).

Your RA may kick up a bit being off the biologics--some do some don't--but it sounds like you are working with your rheumy on this.

Fatigue (we call it "energy drain") is real in tkr recovery for everyone and you may or may not notice more of that than others report. Many of us with RA are used to pacing ourselves, so "listening to the knee" in recovery won't be foreign to you.

Congrats and best wishes for your soon to be "upgraded" knee. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1