TKR Right TKR being planned

BBCG

Staff member since June 30, 2021
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I had a really rough early month or so after my first TKR in 2016, and yes, it HAS been a few years. That's partly because my husband has dealt with one scary disease after the other for the past 5 years: stroke #1, cancer #1, major toe infection, cancer #1 take2, leukemia, loss of eyesight and balance... so I finally NEED to get knee #2 done!

I came back here tonight to review my story from 2016, as I need to find someone at the surgery center (Slocum Orthopedics, in Eugene, OR) I went to, where I may go again, IF they will not be dismissive and refuse to care if I'm in pain and the meds aren't working. Partly why I waited so long IS how I was treated, so my fear has been pretty intense.

I'm interested in finding out what has changed in the past 5 years since my surgery was done, and find out who is now on the forum.

I am trying to find out who I would work with at the surgery center if I run into issues again. I'm not planning to take "Oh, it will be fine" for an answer. I deserve to be treated better than I was and will have to advocate for myself since I don't have anyone who can do so for me.

Hope to have the surgery in June, but we'll see....

Last edited by a moderator:
@BBCG Welcome back to BoneSmart! I am glad you are already thinking about being your own advocate. Be sure and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and their staff. It's important that your expectations are addressed. Ask about a designated person to contact if you have any problems are questions post op.
I'm interested in finding out what has changed in the past 5 years since my surgery was done, and find out who is now on the forum.
I had a 4 year gap between my first and second THR. What I found was a more streamlined experience and less restrictions the second time around.

Many of the staff who were on the board 5 years ago are still here. And we are still recommending the slow and steady approach to recovery.

Great to hear back, Jacey! I hear you with the slow & steady! I was finally able to fight back last time when I was told, “You must have the bend in knee of 99• at 6 months or MUA!”

It probably was about 9 months to get to 100 degrees! But, I simply said, no, I’m not willing to give up yet, so we will wait the knee out!

I have a call in to get on the schedule, and the scheduler I spoke to could not tell me how to find out who would be my point person, so I hit passed up to the Customer Care supervisor, I think is what the person was called. I left a message yesterday afternoon. We shall see.
Meanwhile, my knee did its “dislocation action” again last night! So, hurting’ fer certain today!

@BBCG Sounds like that knee needs to go! Hope you can get a date soon!

Hi @BBCG . It is your time to take care of yourself. Since you have those concerns about your treatment last time, you might want to check the Surgeon Locator app here on BoneSmart. It looks like there me be a few options in Eugene. And if you choose to stay with the surgery center, be very upfront about your concerns on how you were treated last time and your expectations for this time. You've been through so much these last 5 years. Perhaps they have had some good staff turnover since then and you'll have more professional treatment.

Keep us posted.

Thanks, NightQuilter!
Well, I took the plunge and called for an appointment and got one on Friday...sooner than I had expected. I have already told the scheduling coordinator that I would need and have to have a point person that I can reach without going through their dismissive gatekeepers!

I know the doc doesn’t control that, but I also have the name of his PA now, and will ask to meet with him as well, to explain what happened last time, and that in order for me to be comfortable going forward with them, I need to be able to reach someone to help me figure out alt meds if it comes to that. I don’t want to take the opioids, but if I need to briefly, as long as I can reach someone without gatekeepers!

Getting ready for my appointment with my OS tomorrow morning early. Just printed off the Score Chart to take with me. Am reading and printing some of the articles for Pre-op, too... reading up in nutrition, too, so I can check off every box I can for faster and less painful healing!

Am wondering if anyone her has used CBD tinctures for pain? I'm currently using it (legally, in Oregon) for pain from the knee and have been for over a year. I don't need to take Acetominophen very often, if I use the tincture each night before bed. Also have a salve that has herbs and CBD in it, which also helps...

Just downloaded the My-Knee-Guide app, too... will see what I can learn from that, too! Thanks, Jamie!

Last edited:
so I can check off every box I can for faster and less painful healing!
There are definitely things you can do, or more likely not do, to have a less painful healing, but there isn’t much you can do to have a faster healing. Healing takes time, as long as an average of a full year, for complete recovery.

Yes! I think I did quite a few things last time that were not in my best interest...until I finally took control of the recovery process for my knee and stopped let everyone else tell me what to do... my Bonesmart buddies were the best help!

We’ll be here with you every step of the way!

I didn't use CBD lotion after my knees - it wasn't yet legal here! :heehee: I have had great luck with it when my back or shoulders act up. I would suggest not getting it anywhere near the incision until you are certain it is totally healed over though.

Yes, I didn't have access to CBD the first time through, plus had not yet found the local folks who have been creating these pain=specific preparations, either. And I definitely wold wait until the incision had totally healed! For me first time through, the pain was in the lower quad, it seemed, and almost a neuro pain there.

So, I got my surgery date today: April 29! Way sooner than I had expected, so now in major get-ready-gear. Since my husband is legally blind from the chemo he took to beat leukemia, I'll need to find someone to help us through the first couple of weeks, probably initially coming in 2x a day at first, to help cook, etc. My husband cannot see the stove buttons as it's a digital stove, so I'll get in frozen stuff probably for those first few weeks, since he can do those in the microwave oven.

Wonder if anyone here had a list of things to get on a list for hired helper?

Ordering subscription level staples for delivery so someone won't need to go to the store too often, as my husband cannot drive, either.

That lower quad pain may have been more from the tourniquet, than the surgery, but who knows. Pain is pain. Congrats on your date. There are so many subscription food delivery services, you might want to consider one of those ...and you can choose number of meals per week, raw foods with recipes versus prepreoared foods, vegan, paleo, keto, whatever you need. That takes the pressure off you and the sainted hubs, who has been through his journeys too!! And hurray for the hubs for beating leukemia! You've both had your battles and will prevail.

Am wondering if anyone here has used CBD tinctures for pain? I'm currently using it (legally, in Oregon) for pain from the knee and have been for over a year. I don't need to take Acetominophen very often, if I use the tincture each night before bed. Also have a salve that has herbs and CBD in it, which also helps...

@BBCG , even though it is legal in Oregon to take CBD products, we do have some rules and guidance for their use and discussion here on BoneSmart. That's because we are an international site and marijuana products are not legally available everywhere.

CBD oil is rather controversial as a pain reliever. The hemp oils sold to the general public are unregulated and many times it's impossible for you to know what's in the products, if they are produced in a consistent manner, and if they have much or even any of the active ingredient. If you're going to go that route, you'll need to do a lot of research yourself to find companies that are reputable and have good products. Plus, what works for one person may not work for others.

As I said, we do have some rules here on BoneSmart about what can be discussed and under what circumstances. THC is the ingredient in marijuana that gives you the "high."

Here is our guidance for any discussions:

* Non-THC CBD oil applied externally. CBD oil discussions are fine as long as it is a hemp product that has little to no THC in it and you are not taking it orally. If a member talks about successfully using CBD oil and they don't specify that it is the hemp-based, it is appropriate for moderators and advisors to post and ask for clarification. Hemp based products used externally don't need to be coordinated with a doctor to be discussed on the forum.

* CBD oil that contains THC. If the CBD oil has THC (the chemical that makes you high), it is only okay to discuss it if you are in a state or country that permits sale of the product over the counter and you are not taking it orally. If a member is talking about successfully using a CBD oil and they don't specify that it has THC or not, it is appropriate for moderators and advisors to post and ask for clarification. CBD oil used externally in states or countries where over-the-counter sales are legal don't need to be coordinated with a doctor.

* CBD oil or cannabis products taken orally. If the product is being taken orally (with or without THC), you need to be working at a minimum with your GP/personal physician in order to discuss it on BoneSmart, because there are possible interactions with other medications (prescription, over-the-counter or supplements).

So, I got my surgery date today: April 29!
Congratulations. I've added your surgery date to the April Rainbows 2021 surgery group thread and changed teh date in your signature.

My husband cannot see the stove buttons as it's a digital stove, so I'll get in frozen stuff probably for those first few weeks, since he can do those in the microwave oven.
I'm glad your husband beat the leukaemia.

I also bought in some frozen meals for my husband to re-heat after my recent shoulder replacement. I also cooked and froze extra meals before my surgery date.

Here is some pre-op reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thanks, Celle...
I have someone coming in to help us for a few weeks after surgery, so that’s good, and I’m looking into getting a freezer to put in frozen stuff either that I make ahead, or purchase after.
Am scoping out the grocery stores we typically go to for phone ordering possibilities, but our fave has no online or store website options... more than a bit backward! (Heck! I own a small niche store and we offer that stuff!!)

@BBCG If you have a Safeway store near you, check them out. I don't know about Eugene, but in Portland most of the Safeways deliver - and do a good job of it! I'm glad you were able to find someone to come help - that should make your recovery much easier.

We have both a Safeway and an Albertsons and I think they are owned by the same overall company now. I know you can order in advance for pick up so guess I’ll find out how they arrange deliveries because for a while, we won’t have the resident chauffeur!

With the pandemic, many delivery services have sprung up - both corporate and individuals trying to make a living. Some pick up what you have ordered from the market; others actually do the shopping for you from your list. There may be some in your area too. In our local grocery store, you have to watch out for them dashing about filling the shopping lists for several customers at once!

Delivered groceries are great for this time, so do see what is available. Helpful neighbors are also useful. They know you’ll soon recover and might want to help short term. I did this for my next door neighbor when she had her knee done. I asked her if I could help, but I think if you have a friendly relationship, you can ask. Just pick up a few things on their own trip to the store or pharmacy and drop them off.

Also, delivered meals are available from many restaurants. One Chinese food delivery lasts us three days!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom