Right TKR at 50 on September 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little disappointed I had to go with my son to collect items from his home yesterday afternoon. It was a little warm when we left so I didn't take a cardigan. Silly move by me. After helping DH and DS load his belongings into our 2 4wd and trailer we drove the hour home.

Coughed all night must of been the night air was enough to trigger it all up.....

Still hoping I get the all clear this week for Tuesday week (17th) almost finished my first course of antibiodics and if need be I will get the script done again and do a second course. I have just taken my morning dose so hopefully will see signs of improvement. I also have sinus too many flowers out as we are now spring.

Oh I forgot to mention I have a lovely bunch of flowers and went out for dinner for our 30th anniversary. Even though I was sick :(

I have a week tomorrow until my Dad arrives before my surgery and now with Aaron's stuff been thrown inside I am going to have to find somewhere to store all of it as he left 5 minutes after he dumped the stuff. Sometimes I just want to throw my arms in the air.

I will survive this as after all I am woman hear me roar LOL..... I need to organise several things this last week but just waiting for the OK with surgery date now because I got sick at the last post. So to think positive I need to get a load of things wrote down today I need to do this next week and I will be right to go. No need to not keep planning as I am still just over a week off now.

Might cook a few more things to freeze down over the weekend. The DH has archery tomorrow for our club, I'm not going but gives the chance to do a few more things at home.

The weather is beautiful ladies and I would love to get some vege plants into the garden but I doubt I will be able to tend to them for a several weeks after the knee op.

I still have to pack my bag although everything has been sorted I just need to pack it.

I want to go get my icepacks into the freezer too whilst I am thinking about them. Otherwise I am sure to come home and have nothing cold other then peas.

Anyway I will keep you posted, thanks for your replies. An my new added friends on facebook :)

Actually the cough could mean your cold is breaking up so it might be a good sign. Take it easy until you are completely well. I'd say don't plant anything because then you'll be worrying about it getting watered, etc. Next year this time you'll be able to do anything you want, so just take a break for now. Concentrate on getting healthy, resist others who want you to do things for them:no-fin: , and just get yourself ready for surgery and recuperation. Remember - you first right now! :thumb:

Hi everyone, I had my appointment with the pre admission, physiotherapist and booked into the hospital today. After I completed all the above (shaking head) I need to write a huge list for the OS appointment on Thursday.

The appointments started as a group session with others who are having surgery on the 17th. A lovely gentleman who is having his 5th hip procedure this one is to remove the hip and allow him to fight an infection that he has had repeatedly. A lovely middle aged lady who is having her hip done. Another lady who is having BKR which was a decision made today.

Another younger male came but left so I am not sure where he fit in, I think I heard a TKR.

The Nurse sat down and informed us we would be having a spinal, and we would need to tell our families to go away for about 3 hours and they could return. Then she informed us the Physiotherapist would be there to get us up and walking that afternoon cause we need to get those hips and knee's moving straight away.

We will have a butterfly in the back of our hand and we would have a pca and a patch on our shoulder for pain management.

No cath as after all we need to go to the toilet however if problem with urination they would put a cath in to drain on day 2.

Obviously we are all considered to have no say and oh the information we got from the OS is incorrect and expect to be home on day 3, yeap you read right DAY THREE.

Then we each went into a room and she looked at our paper work and mine is pretty in-depth. She starts off by saying I have the impression you have medical experience, Donna by some of the remarks you made in the group and I let her know my medical classification. Oh great she tells me, you will be no problem as you know what we are talking about.

She done my BP, and looked over my pathology and states this looks good. So what about allergies? then reads my extensive list Mmmmmm!!!!!

I told her I do not want the Spinal I have prolapsed discs in my spine and I am not in favour of a spinal. I had an epidural for a C-section and it did not work so I felt the surgery and I am not agreeable. She informed me it is not up to ME.

I was by this stage pretty annoyed, I remained professional and stated I also feel that informing a group of people that we are all having a spinal was pretty one size fits all comment. I am a not one size fits all kind of a person.

Then I went to the Physiotherapist a lovely young girl. No icing, yeap NO ICING, plan to get me up same day and walking and marking time. I will need to attend the Physiotherapy program it runs 1 day per week and guess what it takes 5 hours yeap a session is 5 hours. Are you kidding me!!!!

We need to get started building up the muscles and moving the joint cycling by end of week 2. Guess how far 5km I was like ok so we are not on the same page.

I told her I will not be getting up on day one, I will not be attending a 5 hour physiotherapy circuit one day a week that lasts 8 weeks. I told her I will complete my own program and I will be icing as required. I will attend for hydrotherapy as I believe that will be benifical and less jar to the knee.

I think she was shocked about my plan but I reminded her unless she has my consent to complete any program then her hands are tied. I told her I would like her to work with me on how I want to recover and at the pace I want and need to for my knee to recover. I am not ever going to attend a 5 hour circuit and I was in shock.

So here I was planning on Thursday to see the OS with only a couple of things to ask but now he is going to have a patient with a huge long list. an he will need to have some good answers because I looked at these other patients who had no idea and they were seriously doubting they were doing the right thing. You cannot hold a group setting and assume everyone can be pigeon holed.

I told the hospital I will be there until I feel I am capable to manage safely at home and as I am paying for the procedure I would appreciate they note this on my file.

The clerical assistant told me if I have any procedure complications they keep under surgical. Once I am passed any complications then they change my file to being in rehab as the Health Insurance pay for rehab. I do not change rooms or anything just their paper work changes.

I asked if I was to bring my items with me to the admission or are they to come later. She informed me that I bring it when I arrive as I will go directly to my room. All the information in the OS booklet is WRONG so I will discuss that with him as your read what is to happen and if it is wrong as much as I heard today then it is not good when anxiety sets in.

Did anyone have to use the shower wash for a week prior to surgery? The RN told us to use it every day from now, I have had a lot of operations and I have NEVER had to do this before.

Oh, Donna, I'm so sorry to hear all this.:scratch: Hope you get some answers that will give you some reassurance and peace as you go into your surgery.

Things are so different in different countries and even from hospital to hospital or surgeon. It's hard to hear all the conflicting info and must certainly add to your anxiety. They told us to use the wash the night before and morning of surgery and to be sure to use only clean towels and clean sheets on bed. I've used the Hibiclens (brand of wash we have here) before minor surgeries. It's a little drying on skin so be sure to rise thoroughly. I think it's all part of the push to cut down on infections (same as pre-op testing for MRSA which we have now).

Like you, I've been thru quite a few surgeries (some more life-threatening) but this is a different and still scary surgery and it's so unfortunate that the folks we have to deal with aren't a little more understanding and able to conform some of their procedures to each individual.

Try to prioritize your concerns when you talk with OS to make sure you get the most important questions answered. Stand up for yourself but also remember that some battles can be fought as you go along rather than up front (although it would certainly be nice to have a plan layed out that you're comfortable with).

Good luck and I'm sending positive thoughts your way.:flwrysmile:

A new day and I am so tired. I could not sleep last night the entire day was so against everything that I had been previously been informed by the OS. I have to write a list of important questions for my apt tomorrow with him.

I will be a wreck come next Tuesday at this pace. Nerves and anxiety are in full swing now. I wasn't too bad but not now.

I have an interview today regarding my employer- I made complaints against one of the bosses for harassment and they have employed the services of an external independent to discuss the complaints. So I am feeling a little nerve raw this morning as I really do not want to deal with this all right now too.

So please bear with me why I have a melt down........

VancouverUSAgal thank you for your reply. It is scary and it would be nice to know everyone is on the same page with one another before they talk to the patient.

I would have been in so much trouble at work if I spoke to everyone as if they were all the same.

This is not something I am looking forward to at all, this is a procedure like everyone who uses the forum came here because we live in pain from a joint that does not work as it was.

We tolerate the pain and life style changes and then one day we just know it is time to get something done with the problem.

Could I not have the surgery, of course because I am not going to die if I don't have it. Will I remain to cope with the difficulties if I do not have the surgery and the answer would be YES. The rational thought is but it is not the quality of life I want to live the rest of my life with. I do not want to miss out on things because my knee causes me pain any more.

do not want to miss out on things because my knee causes me pain any more.
Yes, and we just have to keep telling ourselves that over and over when we start to doubt or get nervous.:thumb: I can imagine pretty well how you're feeling. My visit with the cardiologist was kind of scary as I have a number of issues, but then I just reminded myself that continuing to live without the ability to walk is NOT what I want. So I simply have to take my chances with the surgery. Every thing is being thoroughly checked out healthwise but you never know what may happen and it's still disconcerting not to know exactly how my body will react, whether I'll be going to rehab and for how long, etc. but the important thing is that this is the path to new knees and therefore a new life.

I have an interview today regarding my employer- I made complaints against one of the bosses for harassment and they have employed the services of an external independent to discuss the complaints.
Hope that went well. At least you'll be done with that for now I hope. How long do you expect to be away from work? Will you be under pressure to get back? Hope not.

:SUNsmile:Linda

When your knees hurt, it impacts every aspect of your life. Movement is difficult and painful. There is no need to go through it. I'm sorry the anxiety is sneaking up on you. However, you recognize it and that's good. If you know what's going on, you can address it head on. We're all here to cheer you on!

Thank you Linda and Trish. Yes, I am aware of the anxiety and even though I shouldn't be feeling this upset I am.
I need to get a grip and get my head together and rationalise everything.
I am off to the Appointment regarding work, Linda I have resigned from my position so I do not have any rush to recover. I have a legal case against my employer should I decide to take I that further. I resigned from a position I LOVED because my boss treated me terribly and this had gone on for over a year. She was only one of my bosses until recently but after our company joined with another they promoted her to being the ONLY boss.

So it is not good when you are treated really badly and then she is made the boss of the facility.

I do not regret resigning as I felt I was backed into a corner to do nothing more then this and write the complaints to the new employer so they were aware of the boss and her tactics. Hopefully my coming forward helps others.

Oh, Donna, I hear you about work. I could write you a very long essay on the issue of bad bosses, lousy places to work, nasty coworkers, and companies merging and then getting rid of the good employees and keeping the bad, etc. I went thru it all. I was layed off in June 2012 and was actually very relieved to be out of a toxic situation. I had planned to work several more years but I was able to work it out so that I could retire (if I'm very, very frugal). I suspect that's not in the cards for you at this point in your life but hope you'll be able to stay off work as long as you need to recover and that you then find a much better job situation.
:SUNsmile:Linda

Hello possum_here, wow just been catching up with your posts. Great Posts, think I have caught up with every thing. I am also allergic to any thing with codein in it, so pain management is difficult, I also have a very addictive type system, and have really bad withdrawals when I come off meds.
You sound a lot like me, bags packed ,food in the freezer, house cleaned, and any one leave things out, LOOK OUT..LOL. Im a Virgo, and I believe we are known for being extra particular to detail.
I didn't start exercise for 3 days, phisio got me out of bed the second day, I had a cafter put in, thank goodness could never have walked to the toilet, or manage a bed pan, bed pans I always miss..lol.
I was home on my fifth day, if I remember correctly. Your list for home sounds great, I had ice packs and used them, but a week home I ordered a cuff that wrapped all the way around my knee that you put the ice in and it holds on with Velcro. It has been the best investment, as I started walking around more I could keep the leg cool, which helps with the pain, worth getting one.
I was attending phisio 3 times a week, pain was increasing more and more, until I felt I was having no improvements, I canceled phisio and with in a few days of not doing, my leg improved so much, it was just upsetting the healing. I now go to the pool and do my phisio 2 times a week, It makes me feel great, I come home and elevate and ice. I have had my ups and downs, but it was due to incorrect information. I was told I had to do full phisio, I thought it was OK to off pain killers, I thought no pain no gain, this is total rubbish. I was at 5 weeks after my operation before I found Bone smart. Thank-you, I have been here ever since.
I had to laugh at your comments from people not offering to help you out, I also found this. I have always been a helper, I drop things to help out a person in need, I say, don't rely on any one, yes they visit you in hospital and give you flowers, then it stops.
I have been really lucky, my husband is semi retired, and has been a total gem, I think I did to much for him before operation, he now keeps house, washing cooking, cleaning, and waiting on my every need. I had never seen this side of him. I am now getting a house keeper once a week for 4 hours, it gives him a break and she cleans really well.
My hardest lesson has been......learning to be a patient person, if you can learn this, learn not to over do things, you will get along brilliantly.
Your getting a little nervous, this is really OK we all felt this weeks and days getting closer to operation, I was an emotional mess, crying, I had almost talked my self out of the TKR. Don't do this, just remember what your feeling and thinking, are all apart of the journey, hang in their kiddo.
I guess I have been chatting long enough, glad you messaged me. Let me know how your pre op nerves are going. Regards Leonie.:cheers:

nice post 2.jpg
Knee pain, glad you found us & the BoneSmart philosophy of recovery!

Thank you everyone. I saw the OS today and had a good talk. He wasnt aware what the preadmission RN was saying so he will get her to change her talk. I told him up until then I was not as anxious but being told everything different to our original talk threw me for a six. I know I have a medical back ground but as a patient it doesnt make any less nervous.

He said "so you dont want a spinal?" I said ' no I have had two and they didnt work fully and I have damaged discs so the thought of another spinal doesnt excite me at all' he told me the spinal helps and recovery is quicker.

Pain meds has been addressed he wont let me suffer :)

Had my blood taken so its all systems go now and count down is a couple of days to enjoy things here at home.

Hi Donna,
Good luck to you on you up coming surgery. We are a lot a like. I like to be prepared in advance too! Before my surgery I knew I would have to be on blood thinner so I asked my os what he was going to put me on he said exaltro, I work in a doctors office and I knew we got sample except they sample us 15 mg not 10 mg and when your in the hospital they put you on 10 my os was ok with the15 so he saved me 100.00 for 10 pills. I am very blessed! I'm now home recovering from my 2 nd tkp and dog fine. Listen to everyone inherent this is a very good site. Wishing ou well stay in touch ice and elevate that what I am doing right now: :)
Just me, Linda

Glad you had a good talk with the OS. I know for me, the anesthesiologist quizzed me about any back problems and even looked at my spine to make sure a spinal would be ok, so I was surprised by this "you will have a spinal" by the RN. Hopefully you will have helped other patients by clueing in your OS on this.

Hi Donna, I just got caught up on your thread. Oh my you have had such a rough couple of weeks. I hope you're feeling better. How did things go with your OS appointment? I'm holding you and your family up in my prayers.
God Bless.

OT just called and offered equipment for recovery, that was great.

Just had a call no' 1 son is on his way back and the 2 grandchildren are being delivered here by their Mother later today. Sometimes it would be nice to be ASKED and not expected that I do not mind having a house full of people a couple days out from surgery.

Feeling a little annoyed as I know the son will leave the grandchildren here and go with mates for hours on end and everything I have planned for myself goes out the window.

Think I will pack and overnight bag and place in my car before the house turns upside down AGAIN. I sent a msg to my gf who lives 2 minutes away and she said come here and stay the weekend until your Dad arrives on Sunday afternoon.

The house will be destroyed and I will need to re-clean everything AGAIN the day before my surgery, Ya me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie