Right TKR 6/21/19

Renmusical

Country
United States United States
Here I sit just before midnight with a 6:10am arrival time for 7:30am surgery. I ran some final errands this evening and finishing up some laundry and running the dishwasher. I've got my recliner all prepped for my return home, have all of my meds within reach, pillows for elevating my leg, and blankets to keep me warm.

My hubby went to bed hours ago as he's set the alarm for 4am for us to get going for our early arrival. He is very much not a morning person. Travel time is ~30 minutes and should be a breeze at that early hour. I am glad to be my surgeons first of 2 surgeries for the day. I have tried to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable pain and swelling. I was caretaker for my husband for 6 weeks after a foot fusion surgery to relieve severe pain from arthritis that progressed after a Lisfranc injury he sustained almost 6 years ago. He went back to work after 7 weeks still using a walker. I've seen the extreme pain he was in for the first several days after surgery so he knows the routine for a major surgery.

I hope to post in the recovery forum as soon as I am able. I know I'll probably be in a narcotic fog for a while. My doctor has prescribed my Oxycodone, Valium for a muscle relaxor, Mobic, and I have Tylenol, benadryl for any itching reaction to the pain meds and stool softeners. I am hopeful for a positive recovery result and get back to being more active with less knee pain and stiffness. I am hopeful to be able to have enough flexion to ride a bike again. Baby steps will be my mantra, I will take time with my recovery and resist the urge to return to work too soon.

I am going to try and turn my thoughts off long enough to get at least a bit of sleep tonight.

Good luck tomorrow. I'm two weeks out today. The first 24 hours were difficult as they didn't get pain meds right but after that hasn't been too bad.
Being first is good I was 3rd and they ran 1 1/2 hours late.....extra thinking time

Good morning Renmusical! Thoughts I'd post in case you're like me, always online to combat waiting stress. You'll be in my thoughts today.
See you on the other side!

@Renmusical thinking of you today, good luck with the surgery. I am 6 days out and getting closer, but I understand the wait can be unbearable. Keep us posted when you are able.

Hope all went well and that you're doing well. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side when you're ready to post!

Glad to hear that you're on the other side! I'll be joining you next Tuesday :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics