Right THR

Harr6302

Country
United States United States
My husband has had pain in his left hip for some time. He had to have lumbar fusion revision surgery in November, and everyone thought the problem would be resolved. It has only gotten worse. An MRI shows severe arthritis and spurs, recommending replacement. Problem is, he has to wait 3 months after a cortisone shot, and he is in extreme pain that cannot be managed by pain meds. He has been on oxy, Valium for muscle relaxer, and even morphine. He is at the end of his rope.

Sorry to hear of your husbands pain @Harr6302. My surgeon only makes you wait six weeks after cortisone shot to hip. Unfortunately, the pain meds do little for the bone on bone pain. Sometimes heat and elevation can help. I also used crutches on days when my hip was really bad, it took pressure off. I used cane on days when not as bad.

sorry your husband is in such pain @Harr6302 ....I can only echo what MammaT said, and add that I sometimes use ice packs to 'anaesthetise' it for a while. Could he perhaps discuss with his surgeon a shorter period between the 2 procedures?

Thank you for advice, MammaT. He does have a walker. I was reading why the wait and it's from risk of infection. He has had two lumbar surgeries and two knee replacements in past 18 months, with no problems. I wonder if they consider that a good track record.

MammaT and anny, thanks for your reply. That's what I was hoping but didn't know if it was possible. Glad girl suggestion. I think it's worth a shot

Very sorry your husband is in such pain. Sending prayers for relief.

I'm waiting for my hip replacement and have some pretty intolerable pain at times. I also have a few spine issues that will need surgical intervention at some point according to my most recent MRI. I'm allergic to morphine. Plus have some intolerances to other of the heavier pain meds.
What I have found helpful is
Quell device like a 24/7 TENS unit
ice and more ice
heat alternating with ice
muscle massage
prayer
Some folks use meditation, guided imagery, etc​

Three different OS have now told me that a good portion of the pain is stemming from both hips. There has been an ongoing battle between where the pain is coming from exactly. I hope your husband can get some form of relief while waiting for surgery

Unfortunately, the pain meds do little for the bone on bone pain.
Correction: pain meds do nothing for arthritis pain!
Quell device like a 24/7 TENS unit
But I have found that a TENS machine is quite effective though I would doubt it would remain effective 24/7

The thing is that the electrical impulses make the pain nerve receptors fire repeatedly. These nerves send the pain signals to the brain. Once they have fired they go into a passive 'recharge' mode for about 3-5 minutes after which they will start sending pain signals again. A TENS machine, by delivering constant signals will keep the nerves in sleep mode and thereby silence the pain.

BUT another thing is that the nerves eventually become acclimatised to the signal so it needs to be changed to a different one. Most TENS units have several modalities of these signals and usually one setting that scrolls loop-fashion using 3-5 of those settings so the nerves don't get acclimatised. The machines can also have a timer which can be set from 20-60 minutes.

I've been using one of these for years now (back, shoulders, knees and a few other places!) and am now actually on my 4th unit as all the others have worn out. I'm not familiar with the Quell unit BeBe mentioned but my information says that you shouldn't use such a device while you are sleeping, driving or using any other machinery! Read the article for more information!

Thank you so much. What is a Quell device?

It is a name brand TENS device....uses electotrodes to provide nerve simulation in an effort to relieve chronic pain.
They can be very helpful. Used at my PT prior to surgery for a time.

Thanks for clarifying Josephine. My brain automatically equates the bone one bone with my arthritis, which I should have stated.

Update.....after struggling to get anyone to understand the pain, a very observant nurse saw something and called it to the doctor's attention. She said "you have a collapsed hip!" Never heard of this so quickly started Google search. Doctor said he had a fracture as well, but STILL says he won't do surgery until 12 weeks have passed since cortisone shot. What can anyone tell me about this and how to ease any of this unbearable pain (no narcotics allowed)

@Harr6302 perhaps seek another OS. My surgeon did not have the three mo wait requirement after a cortisone injection, said he could clean it out during surgery. I did not get injections, hips were too far gone. Used crutches, XS advil, XS tylenol and ice for relief, unfortunately not much helps the incessant inflammatory pain. Getting a surgery date made it more bearable.

Poor husband..my father had the same restriction for knee replacement after cortisone shot. Wouldn't do surgery for three months and injection didn't last 2 weeks.
Apparently preoperative injections increase the rate of periprosthetic infection, which he certainly doesn't need on top of this! That's what he was told, don't know if that is in abundance of caution....

I'm so sorry for his situation.
Hopefully others might have insight...

Sorry he (and you) are facing this hurdle. When did he have cortisone shot? I don’t know if new surgeon could get scheduled much before what will be his three month mark.

It is hard to receive narcotics here in US now. Alternating between heat and cold helped me some prior to surgery.

She said "you have a collapsed hip!"
My left hip collapsed - the pain is HORRID! Unfortunately there is really no medication that addresses bone on bone pain.

Is your husband using a cane or crutch? Anything that takes the weight off that sore hip will help. Try icing or a heating pad - it works for some. I also tried using and TENs machine but it only just took the edge off.

I'm so sorry to read this. It's just awful! My heart goes out to your husband in his suffering
and for you, helplessly watching him suffer. He has been through a lot these past 18 months.
Any suggestions I'd have were already mentioned. I'm offering prayer for his comfort and peace of mind for
you both as you journey through. Sending a little love too for Valentines Day :loveshwr:
Hope this is a good day for both of you!
@Harr6302

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom