THR Right THR in November, with bone graft

EditorER

Country
United States United States
I pulled the trigger today and scheduled THR for my right hip on November 17. I have a very significant protrusion and thin bone. The first OS I saw passed on the opportunity to do the job and said I needed a board-certified, fellowship-trained surgeon. The surgeon I saw today has those qualifications and is very experienced. He is confident he can do it he operation. He is the first person to look at my x-ray and not say “whoa!” He did surprise me with a plan to graft bone from my femoral head into the hip socket to reduce the protrusion. He will use a minimally-invasive posterior approach.

I hade THR of my left hip, anterior approach, five years ago. The joint is great, but I am still dealing with nerve damage and muscle weakness and atrophy. For that reason, I’ve been reluctant to do the other hip. A different surgeon did that surgery.

My hope and prayer is to come out of this with two stable, pain-free hip joints, legs that are matched in length, and no additional nerve damage. I don’t mind if recovery takes some time. I work full time at a school and I deliberately scheduled the surgery to use the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks for recovery. I wasn’t planning to travel for the holidays in this Covid year, anyway.

I enjoyed the support of this forum last time around and have come back to it frequently to search for information.

@EditorER Well done on setting a date for your surgery. Anterior approach is notorious for nerve damage. I think you will find you have a better result with mini posterior.

Mention any concern about leg length to your surgeon. They will assess this during your op and correct any LLD if possible.

I've asked to have you added to our November surgery group so you can share your journey with other hippies here.

Hi @EditorER
Glad to hear you found a surgeon you have confidence in and with both hips replaced and evened out, perhaps this will also help build strength and help your other leg.
Interesting article below by our Nurse Director Emeritus about bone graft in hip replacement...though a tad graphic...if you care to check it out.

Welcome back. I have had two posterior hip replacements though not minimally invasive and I have no nerve damage and not atrophy. Sounds like you have found a good surgeon which is so important.

Thank you for the warm messages and for building my confidence and courage for this surgery.

@Mojo333, the information on bone grafts was very informative, but perhaps not the best bedtime reading! I had no idea the bone was ground to meal before being placed in the socket. I have very significant protrusion, and I can see that if the surgeon is going to build up the space it would be easier to use meal than to cut the perfect shape. How that all grows back together again is a mystery!

I spent some time today upgrading my insurance (open enrollment closes tomorrow — very convenient timing) and planning how to manage my leave at work. The doctor said I’d need to be off work 4-5 weeks. I chose a November surgery date to take advantage of holiday breaks at Thanksgiving and Christmas. (I work at a school.) But I’m the only one who does my job, so its hard to imagine being gone that long. I want to take more time to rest this time around, but I imagine I will do some bits of work from home while recovering.

Speaking of recovering—does anyone have a recommendation for a recliner? I would like to have that option for sleeping this time around, because I intensely dislike trying to sleep on my back. Or, is side lying allowed with the posterior approach? That would be divine.

Oops, sorry. :flabber:
I guess a "tad" graphic was a little light of a warning.
I slept in a recliner through much of my early months so I am a fan...and mine was not a lift...but many here have praised those.
I have fairly good upper body strength so after the first few days I didn't need any help getting the arm to let the footrest down slowly.
Not sure about the restrictions your OS will have on lying on your side...you may want to put a call in and see.

The doctor said I’d need to be off work 4-5 weeks.
I am afraid this is pretty unrealistic - especially given your need for bone graft. The recommended time off work post THR is 10-12 weeks and then a phase return. You may be ready to return earlier but I would give yourself plenty of time to heal.

Here's an article from our Library on Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

Post my posterior THR I did have to sleep on my back. I was allowed to sleep on the non-op side with a pillow between my legs. But in the early days it was just too uncomfortable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back