Right Shoulder Surgery in Nov

mystikfairy61

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Well I had hoped after the knee surgery in 2014 that I would not be back in surgery again at least for anything joint related, at least for quite some time.

I started having issues and pain with my right shoulder, which is the one I had torn the rotator cuff in back in 1998. My doctor sent me for an MRI because of my history and I was shocked when I got the results, considering I had been doing yard work and helping with some overhaul work in our home. I have a full thickness rotator cuff tear, complete bicep rupture, a hooked spur which will require decompression and enough arthritic changes that the collarbone will need the end of it smoothed to cut down on rubbing.

This really surprised me because I have full use and strength of it. It is going to be difficult because I can use it and will be losing use of it for a while and it is my dominant side. I am having the surgery Nov 10 and was told that I will be able to do light things by Christmas.

My OS is good as far as getting therapy started so I will be in therapy within the first 10 days or so. Not really looking forward to this but I know that if I leave it alone that with the hook spur, it will only cause more damage and more problems down the road. I am already in PT to strengthen it even though I am not really having any issues there. I feel like since I have full ROM that I should regain it all. Just want to get it over with and get on with recovery.

Hi Donna, I just saw this come across my email.....
Good grief!

You deserve a break or maybe a good heal instead!
My DH has a tear in his rotator cuff and did PT to stave off surgery; so far so good.

I think you are doing the right thing for you, so go forward strongly as you are.
Keep us posted!
My left knee hurts when I walk; ugh; it is likely my next replacement.

Do you ever smile and think about those crazy shows from the 70's/80's The Six Million Dollar Man
and Woman .... ha
I feel like we are becoming them.
:heehee:

xo

Good to see you have your surgery scheduled!

Yes - "we can rebuild her. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic woman. Sheryl will be that woman. Better than she was before. Better... stronger... faster." You all welcome to join me!

:rotfl::boohoo::umm:

@mystikfairy61 So sorry to hear you need more surgery. Guess we are lucky that technology is on our side. Hope you sail through this. We'll be here to support you again!

@mystikfairy61 Best of luck to you with your shoulder replacement! I had my right one done 3.5 years ago and am very pleased with the out come :yay: Now waiting for the left one to get done. Going bionic is such fun, isn't it - NOT! But it sure is better than living with chronic pain and dysfunction. :yes!:

@mystikfairy61,I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of tidying your signature as everything seemed to be muddled up together. I think it reads a lot more easily now and I hope you do too.
I have a full thickness rotator cuff tear, complete bicep rupture, a hooked spur which will require decompression and enough arthritic changes that the collarbone will need the end of it smoothed to cut down on rubbing.
All of which comes under the general title of a debridement with acromioplasty and I can promise you it will include the removal of that spur!
It is going to be difficult because I can use it and will be losing use of it for a while and it is my dominant side. I am having the surgery Nov 10 and was told that I will be able to do light things by Christmas.
Actually that's pretty much a worst case scenario! I was told much the same thing and booked carers (live on my own) and stocked the house with essentials and foodstuffs only to find I was able to drive within a very few weeks! Much of the pain I found I could manage with a TENS machine. So hold your horses - you might be getting better more quickly than you expect!

Here's my recovery story if you care to read it New experience - acromioplasty!

Thinking about you and wishing you the best. Hopefully ready. Call if you need/want.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Sorry I did not get back on this thread a long time ago hut had soych going on. I still need to have this taken care of but first wanted to get left hip done. After all I don't walk on my hands and the hip got bad pretty fast. So left hip was done Sept 12 and will figure this out later. I have a hip recovery thread for anyone interested.

Well, you are keeping us in suspense! How is your hip coming along --- I can check your recovery thread over there. So I gather you did not have any work done last year on your shoulder? I was wondering why I didn't hear from you again.

Perhaps if you are getting ready to get healing your shoulder we can be recovery buddies! Hah! My left shoulder - already repaired in January 2016 - is getting so bad again! Right replacement is doing quite well again. I was forgetting/not understanding that it did have some restrictions and was not truly bionic, but its doing much better now that I have a better understanding of how to behave. But, alas, left one is not so good. Can't get to see doctor til October 23, just no time. I am to the point of hoping that I can still have rotator cuff repaired but just not so sure.

@Me2 Bless your heart, that shoulder has been misbehaving it sounds like. :sorry: Hoping you get the relief you need. Feel free to follow the hip thread. I am up in the air about the shoulder. I have such good motion and strength and most of the time the pain is bearable with the occasional exception. I have always heard if it ain't broke don't fix it. OS already told me 5-10 years I am looking at a replacement anyway. I guess I just hate to go thru one now to go thru a replacement later. :what:Thinking that as long as I can handle the pain that I may wait it out. Keep us posted on your shoulder and what's ahead for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom