Spine Right Sacral Iliac Joint Fusion

kayak59

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello

Has anyone here had a Sacral Iliac Joint Fusion? Mine is scheduled for the Wednesday the 25th of November. It will be outpatient surgery and should take 3-6 months to recover according to everything I've read. Only thing is, will be non weight bearing for 3+ weeks. :-(

But oh well, looking forward to getting back to riding my bike, hiking, kayaking, and hey, even being able to sleep, sit, walk and stand without pain! Woo hoo! May need the other side done too, but the doctor says that sometimes doing one side stabilizes the other.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone through this. Thanks!

Hi @kayak59 - I'm sorry no one has got back to you yet. This is a fairly new area of BoneSmart and I don't think we've had many members discussing spinal surgery but, hopefully, someone with experience of spinal joint fusion will come along for you.

If you click on the prefix "Spine" a list will come up of people with spinal surgery.

Thanks @Celle

Even if I don't find anyone who has had this, the post op experience should be similar to other surgeries so everyone's support will still be helpful. Sounds like it will take a lot longer to get my independence back so at least I have a place to whine and grumble. Hmmm.... any way I could be an honorary November Nimble in the Hip forum?

Hi, Kayak....the surgery you're scheduled for is fairly common these days, so it certainly could be that other BoneSmarties may chime in for you. I'm going to tag @Jaycey as I know she has had lower back issues and I believe she has some fusions.

@kayak59 I have a very long history of spinal issues and did have decompression (unsuccessful). But I have not had any fusions.

I do know that these days this surgery is minimally invasive. Since you are having this as a day case I assume your surgery will be?

In my experience I would plan on at least 6 months recovery - normally longer. Spinal surgeons always downplay the complexity of spinal surgery recovery.
Only thing is, will be non weight bearing for 3+ weeks.
Since you are only having one side fused this really shouldn't be a problem - just a nuisance. Are they suggesting using a walker or crutches?

Stick with us here - we will certainly support you through this. I have several good sources for information on spinal procedures so if you have questions please let us know. I think my colleague @Elf1 has had spinal fusion so I tagged her for you.

Hi @kayak59
I have had SI joint issues mostly resolved with my bilateral hip replacements, but I certainly know that it can certainly be a pain to deal with.
We have a member, who has who had an SI fusion...
@golfer67
Perhaps he can share his experience with you.

:wave: @kayak59 and welcome! Wow, I'm definitely going to want to follow along with your surgery and recovery. I've found that I have arthritis in both of my SI joints now so may be following your path at some point.

I have had a fusion at L5/S1 to stabilize my Spondylolithesis. My spine still has a lot of curving and DDD but knew the surgery was just to stop the discs from moving and pinching my nerves.

Had surgery the day before thanksgiving in 2015 and was released the next morning, didn't even spend an entire 24 hours in the surgery center. I didn't have any weight bearing restrictions, no bending past 90 degrees, lay on sides while sleeping/resting, use pillows to promote comfort and stop rolling over into back. Used a walker for a while, don't remember how long though. Don't really remember recovery being all that terrible, especially once I got off the nasty Percocet the surgeon had me on. Luckily I had some other, lighter meds provided by my pain management doc, just for this purpose.

Doc recommended 12 weeks off work with phased return, starting at 20 hours a week, working up to full time at my discretion. Unfortunately, went back to work around 6 weeks, the folks I supported were really begging me to come back. Started at 20 hours but that only lasted for maybe 2 weeks, had one of my teammates have to leave for a death in the family. And, as with most places, once you're back, they figure you're back full force.

It really helped quite a bit, was noticeable really quickly like when you lose the bone on bone pain after hip replacement. I was an admin person, now semi retired. Doc said that was one of the worst jobs I could have, sitting at a desk all day. Having pain now, I think it's SI issues but my primary doc thinks my back could be causing the problems. Guess we'll have to get an MRI to figure it out.

Sorry I rambled, hopefully have you a good overview of my experience though not sure you're will be the same. Wishing you the best, please keep us posted.

Hello @Elf1

My doctor (and other literature I've read) said that sacral iliac disfunction (and eventually surgery) is real common after a spinal fusion. Hope you can hold that off as long as possible.

In my case, I will probably be having the spinal fusion sooner or later but I'm hoping that this procedure will alleviate alot of pain and allow me to get back to Pilates so I can strengthen my core and hold that procedure off as soon as possible -- hopefully after I retire. My doctor also said that I may need the SI Fusion on the other side but sometimes getting one side done stabilizes the other. He said they very rarely ever do both at the same time because then you'd be non-weight bearing on both sides.

@Jaycey, yes, this procedure will be outpatient and will take about 45 minutes. Its being done by a neuro surgeon and its a relatively new minimally invasive procedure. Said there will be about a 2" incision on the side of my hip -- seems like it will be right near the Superpath hip incision. I asked him about pain meds and explained that I only got Tramadol and Tylenol after my 2nd hip and he said oh no, you'll get the good stuff. That both makes me relieved and nervous.

I'll check with @golfer67. I'm hoping that I will be able to bend down and put and pick up my cats' food and water bowls off the floor, otherwise they may all be eating off the kitchen table! Thankfully got someone to take care of the litterboxes downstairs. I haven't been able to find anything about restrictions other than the non-weight bearing so I'm definitely wondering about stairs. And I know I'll get more info about this from my doctor but as usual, I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm a bit nervous about this as there is so little first person post op information out there.

Thanks to everyone for their information and support.

Attachments

• Scoliosis Spine.jpg
    Scoliosis Spine.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 295
I'm hoping that I will be able to bend down and put and pick up my cats' food and water bowls off the floor, otherwise they may all be eating off the kitchen table!
I was not allowed to bend for 6 weeks post spinal surgery. I bought plastic cat bowls that had a cutout in the front. Picked them up and put them down with a grabber. Takes a bit of practice but if you get a couple of grabbers now you can start practicing.

Wow, 45 minute outpatient surgery, I am in awe! Happy you're going to a neurosurgeon. Was told when having my back done you definitely wanted one as they are more adept at the intricacies dealing with the spine. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Wish I had much more advice/info to share.

Oh, for the litter boxes, get a long handled litter scoop. I found one on Amazon, didn't cost a lot and is still going strong over a year later. Agree with Jaycey on grabbers, more than one!

Hi @kayak59 and everyone!

I am tentatively scheduled for early December for these surgeries: "Sacroiliac Fusion" which sounds like yours as well as "L5s Posterior lumbar interbody fusion" - I could not make out the "L5S" part of my doctor's handwriting. I had him write these down so that I can research these procedures. So I am looking for answers as well. I have had no previous lumbar fusion surgeries-(but did have a triple cervical fusion last year). They want to do a diagnostic bilateral sacroiliac block first.. and I also do not understand that but they say I need that for diagnostic and insurance reasons???

I am looking for a place to grumble a bit now and again too or just compare notes as I am in a lot of pain most of the time.. just walking or standing longer than 10 minutes, etc.

Hello

Has anyone here had a Sacral Iliac Joint Fusion? Mine is scheduled for the Wednesday the 25th of November. It will be outpatient surgery and should take 3-6 months to recover according to everything I've read. Only thing is, will be non weight bearing for 3+ weeks. :-(

But oh well, looking forward to getting back to riding my bike, hiking, kayaking, and hey, even being able to sleep, sit, walk and stand without pain! Woo hoo! May need the other side done too, but the doctor says that sometimes doing one side stabilizes the other.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone through this. Thanks!
Yes I had my left SI joint fused with the Ifuse system back in 2014. The operation was very easy and the recovery was about one tenth as hard as my Hip Replacement has been. I was able to do weight bearing as soon as the operation was over. I have had eight spine surgeries and now a hip replacement but the SI joint fusion was the easiest surgery by far to recover from. The surgery definitely worked too. It took all my pain away on my left side for four years until the hip on that same side went out. I don’t know for sure but I think that maybe having the SI joint fused places extra pressure on the hip causing it to fail.

Hello all.

Thanks to Covid, my surgery is indefinitely postponed. Mixed blessing. Because of that, I spent today cooking and now im agony but tomorrow, my Dad, Mum, brother and sister-in-law will be at my house for Thanksgiving. This will be my Dad's last Thanksgiving and maybe he'll make it to Christmas, maybe not. So yes, I wish I was not in pain, but..... I'll be with my parents tomorrow. And my brother who is in pain in the butt and his wife (who is nice). I just so want to stop hurting and get on with my life......

I'm so sorry your surgery has been delayed. We're finding that happening more and more because of spikes with the COVID virus. Specifically because of this reason, we've made this a topic for our December Ask the Expert webinar: My surgery has been delayed - NOW WHAT??
You might want to register and listen to the discussion about how to deal with the extra waiting time. You can even ask questions during the program.

I'm very sorry to hear that your Dad is not well, but I know this will be a special time for you to share with your parents....even with the brother issues. Who knows....maybe he'll be on good behavior! :heehee:
I hope you have an enjoyable day tomorrow.

Sorry to hear your surgery was postponed.
I hope your Thanksgiving goes well for all, and you can enjoy the day.

Really hate to hear that the delay is indefinite...:unsure:
Spending time with loved ones IS so important...I lost my dad this summer and unfortunately as he was in assisted living under lockdown for safety...so one on one time wasn't possible.
You have two pain in the butts (your real one and your brother...my brother can be one too :skep:)
Hope they both give you a break and you can have a good Thanksgiving.:yes:

Thanks everyone!

And for the webinar information, @Jamie ! I will definitely register for it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this side of the pond.

Hello All

Well, I finally have a new date for my right sacral iliac fusion but OMG, my life has changed and this recovery is going to be interesting and somewhat scary.

Before Christmas, my Mum, Dad and I all got Covid. My Mum did not survive and died January 3rd. My Dad is now living with me. He has Dementia and Leukemia and we didn't expect him to live long before all this happened; now he'll probably die of a broken heart before the physical ailments gets him. He and my Mum were married 63 years and she was his world, his one and only, light of his life, and he doesn't want to live without her. He keeps on saying he wants to go to sleep and not wake up and I hope for his sake, that does happen. In the meantime, I'll keep him as comfortable and content as possible.

I debated on postponing this surgery but I am in constant pain and if my Dad falls and I try to catch him, we might both end up in the hospital. I've got a lot of help lined up so while the next couple weeks will be really difficult, eventually I'll be in a better position to help him than I am now.

Sigh.... one day at a time. That's all I can do.

@kayak59
My condolences on the loss of your mother to Covid.

Sounds like you have your ducks lined up and your father will be in good hands for your fusion.
Wishing you all the best on the 3rd.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla