Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Thanks, @Jamie. I’ll try doctor H in Orlando in a month or if I’m not doing better. My 1 year kneeversary is March 15 and I’m going give PT a try.

As my revision was at Mayo in Jacksonville and the other OS I saw for possible scar tissue is also at Mayo, I don’t think I should try the 3rd knee at Mayo.

Yes, I agree with that. Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks....I answered you there.

@celynda, I have just spent the last several hours poring through all of your posts; mostly because I have been struck by your dogged determination to solve this issue! You always seem to keep a good attitude and your sense of humor in a very trying set of circumstances.
I am now at the six month mark in my “recovery” and I am experiencing great pain and discomfort that has not considerably changed for the better. I’ve been patient and I try to be optimistic, but it’s very difficult. I admire greatly your striving to find answers. I’m hoping my original OS - at this six month mark- will start really trying to , at least, rule out some issues causing my pain. He hasn’t even gone a blood test on me, just keeps telling me the x rays are “ good” and I need to be “ patient”. I had the DePuy implant, like your first, and am thinking - now - perhaps it has loosened. In general, I just am beginning to think my surgeon may be “ over his head” in determining the source of my continuing pain, so may need to look for another doctor. Your willingness to seek out other opinions has inspired me to keep seeking an answer for this awful pain.
Anyway, I will follow your journey and look forward to your updates.
By the way, did your Bakers Cyst ever resolve? I was told prior to my TKR that mine would resolve after surgery. It is still here six months later and I had it for several years prior to the surgery. I understand why they don’t drain or do any active remediation of them - possibly doing great damage - but I don’t understand why I am not seeing that thing lessen. Some of my pain is in my calf from it.
I will hope and pray your next update brings some well deserved news of your finally getting some answers and having sustained relief and recovery!
Kathy

The bakers cyst did resolve without further intervention.

I’m going to make an appointment with the OS Jamie recommendation in late March. I have two business trips planned in the next month and had four So far in 2019. This much activity is really a lot on my poor knees.

The bakers cyst did resolve without further intervention.
Wonderful!
I have two business trips planned in the next month and had four So far in 2019. This much activity is really a lot on my poor knees.
That is a whole lot of activity on a knee that isn't right. You know the things to do...ice, elevate, and meds.

@celynda, (Christa) please let us know you your next visit goes. I have a visit to my OS on Monday, and am really wondering what he will say when I report continuing high levels of burning pain.
So TIRED of this!!
Very interested in how your visit goes! Good luck to you!
Kathy

My two business trips were cancelled so I could work on a high priority project. Which is good. the not so good news is is my right hand is acting up and I’m having hand surgery at the end of March to repair the CMC (thumb) joint and a trigger finger of the Index finger. I had this same surgery on the Left hand in 2016 so know what to expect. It won’t any fun being in a sling for five weeks.

I have a new PCP and am trying a new NSAID: Voltaren (diclofenac). Started yesterday and so far so good. I'm hoping the Voltaren helps with all the joint aches. The new PCP is checking for RA which is a first. I didn't realize 56 is "young" to have arthritis in the knees, elbows, and hands. Oh well...

Last edited:
December 23,2019 Update
It’s been a long time since my last update so here’s the latest. The implant is fine. The challenge I continue to face is pes anserina bursitis in the artificial knee. I’ve had three cortisone shots in 2019. The first two lasted a good while. The third wasn’t in the right spot spot so I’m counting the days until February when I can have another one.

I had CMC surgery on the R hand in March and it took 7 months before I could fasten a bra properly. It also kept me out of the pool because I couldn’t take of a wet swimsuit one handed.

2019 is ending on a numbing/tingling note as I’ve developed Ulnar Neuritis where the L pinkie and ring finger are numb. It’s worse when I rest my forearm on something (desk, shopping cart, etc.).

I’m also very close to ending the legal struggle with Dupuey re the first implant. It will be a nice start to 2020.

while I am physically still struggling, professionally, things are going great. I’ve quadrupled the size of my department and am working on many high profile projects.

I added a third furry kid to the family this year.
990B2959-F910-4D6E-841F-2A08F93F9C18.jpeg

The ruby girl on the r is Lottie, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Riley, on the left, is a 10.5 yo Shih Tzu. The 3rd girl, Oreo, is napping on the other side of the office

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

I also had a Depuy Attune, but, praise God, so far mine is doing OK.

pes anserina bursitis
I went to PT for ultrasound on mine and had 6 treatments. It helped tremendously! If mine comes back I'm going to buy my own ultrasound machine and do it myself.

Your new baby is precious!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, to you, too!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Ultrasound??? Hmm, I’ll look into that. Thanks.
I hope it works out for you. I was very doubtful, but thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly, it did work!

On Jan 15, I had an EMG on the left arm for the numb fingers. It was inconclusive but showed a potential compression. The OS is reluctant to operate until it’s “worse” but couldn’t articulate what worse looks like it. Maybe it’s when it wakes me up at night or when they tingle all the time instead only when I rest my forearm on the edge of something.

my knee is thrilled with me right now. My R foot was really bothering me when I walked so off to the podiatrist.i have arthritis in both the big toe and mid foot joints. He also said going barefoot and/or wearing flats was the worst thing I can do. I should wear a wedge type heel. Sneakers are good as long as the heel is higher the tool. My clogs are very comfy too. So now I’m wearing shoes I gave up years ago when my knee started bothering me. I’ve 6 pair of practically new Vionic flats headed for eBay or a charity ship.

the higher shoes are great for the foot and give the knee grief if I wear them all day so I change shoes a couple of times a day.

2020 is going to be fun.

Oh my, you can’t win, can you. :console2:I guess continually changing shoes is your best option.

Sometimes we have to choose which thing to fix, and which to let slide a bit. Last year I had plantar fasciitis in my foot that has extreme nerve problems. I was not able to do all the things to help the plantar fasciitis that I was told to. Thankfully what I was able to do did help, though I still have some minor issues. I’m real careful with that foot.

It’s been along time since my last post as my knee as mostly been cooperating with regular steroid shots in the nes anserina bursa. Until...

TL;DR: fell on Sunday, Nov 8, broke R femur just above top stem of implant. ORIF performed two days later. It’s Nov 14 and still in hospital. Expect admission to rehabilitation on Monday.

I have a four month old puppy, Daisy 9CA9FDF5-58C1-498C-8FB2-F58E65DD17F2.jpeg who left a small puddle on living room floor while I was napping. Around 4, I found the puddle by slipping on it. The left leg when forward while the R ended up under me with knee bent at a 50 degree angle.

After 20 minutes scooting across 3 feet, I was able to reach a phone to call 911/999. They came in the unlocked back door within 15 minutes. I had them give my mobile phone and a clean top (I used mine to clean up pee ). I called my dog sitter and she arrived within 5 minutes to collect the pups and take home to her place.

fracture confirmed and I was admitted to Orthopedic floor with Bucks traction planned in two days.

Will post rest of details soon.

Attachments

• 747DED3E-7325-4F66-9FE9-097202FC5D02.jpeg
    747DED3E-7325-4F66-9FE9-097202FC5D02.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 333
I’m so sorry to read you’re back with a new issue on that same leg. :console2:

Here’s a refresher for you, I’m sure these guidelines will be helpful in this recovery also. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Jockette, thanks for quick response and very helpful. I’m familiar with the guidelines about meds, rest, PT, etc. for a TKA. I’m curious about and changes to them doing with a femur fracture. I’m toe touch (aka non) weight bearing for at least six weeks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom