Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Today’s walk was even better: .47 mile in 14 min. I didn’t take the dog. The distance was a stretch and I was glad to see my house, This route is around my block. I am so out of shape. My knee didn’t hurt but the hips/low back sure did.

Once home, I iced and medicated.

I’ve been having some problems all along with my partial, and the last few days I’ve been consulting with Josephine. She posted an article for me to read, about the symptoms of a loose implant. I do have some of the symptoms listed. Some of my issues are different than those listed, but I believe a loose implant explains a lot for my situation.

I read back through some of your thread to the part where you looked into your issues, before revision. I can relate to your description of fullness in the knee.

I am dreading the next phase for me, seeing a revision surgeon out of my area, to find out if indeed my implant is loose, and then the required revision if it is.

@Jockette, good luck with your possible revision. Make your new OS has nothing to do with the original one. I’m 11 weeks out and I think I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it’s not a train.

Yay for nice walks! My hips and back were less than happy on my early walks. After not walking much for a couple of years, they were out of practice! They settled in (and got stronger and more flexible) as the daily walks continued and grew longer. Another plus: leg muscles returned!!! :happydance:

19 week update

I’m doing mostly okay. The knee still gets stiff if I sit too long without moving. As I work from home, it isi so very easy to stay seated at my desk for hours at a time. I’m not walking as much as I think I should because I don’t have to. I’m not avoiding walking, it’s more like I don’t do any extra walking beyond ADLs, regular shopping, etc.

I’m still getting crunchies when I get up from the sofa (which is lower) but it doesn’t really hurt. The max soreness is problem in the 4/5 range.

Tomorrow, I will attempt my first Costco run since the Surgery. This will be a real test.

Costco is a big store. Will someone be with you in case you need the motorized cart?

i did It! I conquered Costco and lived to tell about it. I ended walking all over the store as they rearranged things. My knee didn’t complain until I’d been home for several hours. So I am on the couch medicating, icing, and working on my knitting.

Next goal: rejoining the Y.

It’s been awhile since Ive posted and things aren’t going well at all. Since about September, actually. The pain in the R knee is almost as bad as it was before surgery.There is no pain at rest, which is good and I still have good flexion and extension - as long as there’s no weight bearing.

Finally went back to OS today and he says the implant is rock solid but he could see where the pain is - at top of knee. I can’t get out of a chair without assistance or pain. It hurts to walk, it hurts to stand.

OS thinks it’s scar tissue built up between the femur (upper leg) and the quad tendon. He doesn’t do scopes so is referring me to a partner who does. Hope to hear Friday or Monday re appointment. In the meantime, it’s back to icing, NSAIDS, and Tramadol.

I’m so sorry! When I saw a new post I was hoping it was a good update! Did he say how scar tissue could have happened at that area?

I wish it was a positive update too. No idea why from the OS. He mentioned something about a patella clunk (whatever that is). The knee area is very warm but not sore to the touch so now I just wait.

:chinstroke:Thanks for the article. I read it am not sure I understood it. Guess another surgery is in my future. Good news is, recovery should be short. I also understand there’s no guarantee the scope procedure will get all of the scar tissue or stop the pain.

Last edited:
What's funny is mine clunks like crazy, but I don't have a patella!

My OS doesn’t do arthroscopic procedures so he referred me to one of the other docs in the Orthopaedic practice at Mayo (FL). I checked today on getting an appointment and learned the new OS doesn’t have any opening for at least three months. A message is with the OS’s secretary to see if I can be worked in. I’m not holding my breath. It’s going to be a very long three months.

I have three business trips planned in the first six weeks of 2019 which I am definitely NOT looking forward to. The pain is pretty bad and ice isn’t really helping.

Even though I couldn’t find an OS in Orlando to do the revision, I wonder if any of them would do an arthroscopy to debride the scar tissue? I seem to remember reading somewhere that OS won’t see another OS’s patient for at least a year after the initial surgery. What do y’all think? Should I wait for an opening with the same practice that did the revision or should I try and find a new OS?

Also, does anyone know if using a cane will help with the pain? I’ve not used one once about 2 months post-op when my balance was back (for the most part). I am, leery, about about 1) walking too much and 2) falling.

OS thinks it’s scar tissue built up between the femur (upper leg) and the quad tendon.
I'm not really much in favour of this because if you cut an adhesion, there is a fair possibility that it might re-occur.
Even though I couldn’t find an OS in Orlando to do the revision, I wonder if any of them would do an arthroscopy to debride the scar tissue?
For the reason given above, not a lot of surgeons do arthroscopic 'lysis' or division of adhesion. However, @skigirl had one and it seems to have been very successful!
Also, does anyone know if using a cane will help with the pain?
N-one can tell you this and you will only know by trying it. I'm quite happy to use a cane if ever and when ever I need it. Why not, indeed?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks