• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Right knee is 5 years old. Time for left knee.

sewhat

Country
United States United States
My surgery date is August 20. Joint camp is August 5. I've been playing the insurance game with shots for a year now and my OS finally said the magic words; I think you need a knee replacement. I've been reading my recovery thread and I stopped it rather abruptly. Sorry about that. At 4 months out I went to Alaska to visit my son. We went to glaciers, gold mines, and went out in his boat where I had to sleep on the table made into a bed. It was all good. I caught halibut, we ate fresh caught shrimp, I saw whales, moose, puffins, otters and seals. We watched glaciers calve and the aurora borealis. The only problem I had was getting from the dock into the boat. I had to sit down on the dock and put my feet into the boat and then squirm and wriggle in. We were all laughing , which didn't help.
The next year I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. It's under control with meds, but when I had surgery last year and didn't get my meds in time, I found out how bad it has gotten. I had thyroid cancer last year and they took out my thyroid. I take so many pills every day that I have a watch with a vibrating alarm to keep up with them and an app on my phone also.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
Congratulations on confirming a definite day for your left TKR surgery!! That's pretty exciting. I'm getting my right TKR done just a few days before that. Nobody has said a word to me about joint camp, so maybe they don't do that here in New Orleans. Or, maybe I'll hear more about it when I meet with my surgeon again on the 5th. Either way, reading on this forum has been helpful. Your stories about such a happy trip to Alaska after your first TKR brought a smile to my face.

So sorry to read about your Parkinson's and thyroid cancer. But with the Parkinson's under control, and the thyroid removed, and now a new knee, too, it sounds like things are definitely improving. :yes:

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
I'll be looking for you on the other side, Carole. I've been doing exercises to build up my muscles before surgery. I had a collection from PT and online from last time. They helped me last time, so I'll do them again. My daughter is a PTA, Physical Therapy Assistant. She lives next door. She has 3 girls, almost 17, 6, and almost 3. I homeschool the 6 year old. We're finishing up first grade. We got behind with my two thyroid surgeries and her bouts with cyclic vomiting. My husband has the 2 year old who is just starting to wear big girl panties. He can't get anything done. lol He's a big help to me, cooking, vacuuming and mopping. Some days my PD just doesn't want to give me a break. There's so much more to it than tremors; swallowing problems, balance issues, incontinence, constipation, loss of smell and taste... I couldn't do it without him.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
@sewhat , that is so wonderful that your DH helps out around the house like that. And having a daughter who is a physical therapy assistant living right next door? That's terrific. Good for you to be homeschooling your grandchild; I think homeschooling is tough to do, but will be worth all that work in the long run. I can hardly do any exercises to prepare for surgery, but I have been doing what I can like rotating my feet around as I sit, to build up my ankles a bit. Less than 3 weeks for me, so it's probably a bit late to be thinking about exercises at all.

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
Carole, most of these exercises are done lying in bed our sitting in a chair. Ankle pumps and circles, squeeze and hold butt muscles, press back of knee into mattress and hold, leg raises, short arc leg raises. You can find them online or on YouTube.

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
I feel like I'm expecting a baby. I know there's pain involved, and sleepless nights, but in the end, it'll be worth it.
I named my right knee Pat Ella. See what I did there?:loll:I know it's a girl knee, because it my right one and we know girls are always right.
Now she is going to have a baby brother, due on August 20. I will name him Neil.

I feel like I should be preparing my nest. I already have all the equipment, ice therapy machine, walker, crutches, cane, toilet riser, grabber. I'm doing exercises. I printed out my meds list and schedule. I won't do make ahead meals as my hubby cooks dinner as often as I do. He's got a new smoker and is into smoking ribs, brisket etc.

He took very good care of me last time. We live in a two story house, so I'll sleep on the couch or in my recliner for awhile, then I'll move upstairs to the spare bed until I don't need to worry about him bumping my knee in bed.

I didn't have an ice machine to start with last time. I think that will help a lot. The one I have had a timer for 15 minutes. It would go tick, tick, tick, tick. I could sleep through that, but then there was a loud CLICK when it turned off and it would all of a sudden lose compression and wake me up. Hubby has fixed that so it stays on all the time. I use frozen water bottles in it and a towel under it, so it doesn't get cold enough to give me freezer burn. lol

I saw my endocrinologist yesterday. It was a 6 month checkup after my thyroid removal. She made a slight change in my thyroid medicine. I take it in the middle of the night because it has to be taken on an empty stomach. I hope I can remember.

I have Parkinson's Disease and take several different pills a day for that. I use an app called CareZone on my phone. It keeps track of them all for me. I also wear a watch that has vibrating alarms set to tell me when it's time for a pill.

I make up tiny ziplock pill pouches every Saturday morning for each time I take pills. Then I paperclip them together by day and every morning I take a packet and put it in my pocket for the day. It works for me, but I'll probably have trouble in the hospital. The nurses get busy and don't bring them on time.

When I had my thyroid surgery, I missed 3 doses because I was stuck in recovery waiting for a room. When they tried to take me to the bathroom, I was dizzy and walking like a drunk. I kept trying to say carbidopa/levodop, which is my PD med and it sound like Porky Pig talking. They got Hubby back there and he told them what I needed and they had the pharmacy send it right over. Hubby said my face was disfigured and scary looking. It gave us all a fright.

Goodness. I'm writing a book here. Sorry.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
HI @sewhat

I've edited your long post, to insert more paragraphs.

A post that looks like one long paragraph is hard to read, and many people don't bother.

So next time you make a long post, please will you use more paragraphs?

Thank you. :flwrysmile:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I don't know what your hospital will be like but at mine they did not bring pain meds unless I asked for them. But what they did do was write on the board what time I could have my next dose. Then I knew when to ring for them.

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
I'm not talking about pain meds. I have Parkinson's Disease and when my meds aren't on time, things get scary.

Speaking of Parkinson's meds. I am on a new one and it causes crazy dreams. Last night I beat up my poor hubby in my sleep. He said he couldn't get back to sleep because I was yelling in my sleep after that. It was on the information sheet that that could happen.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
@sewhat , it sounds like you are getting ready for this too! There are so many things we need to do to prepare for our TKRs.

It's great that your DH will cook for you during recovery. My sweetie (boyfriend?) will probably bring me take-out from a restaurant for lunch every day; that's what he has been doing for the past few weeks, too. Still, I need to have some other meals prepared and frozen. So, I have been cooking double portions and freezing one. I should probably step that up a bit since I only have four frozen so far and my surgery is in seventeen days or so. Freezer space may determine how many I can freeze.

I was able to get 90 days worth of all of my medications (blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol), so I won't run out during recovery. Maybe you can get as much as the pharmacy will give you right before you go in the hospital, so you won't run out too soon. Sorry about your new med having those effects on you! Be sure to tell your nurses in the hospital so they know what's going on. :)

Tomorrow I am going to learn to use my ice machine and try using The Lounge Doctor pillow for the first time. I think they may help a lot with the pain I am feeling even now, before my surgery.

I love my recliner and it is great even for this preoperative period. Using the recliner controls to move my feet up and down seems to help when they are painful. Hope I don't wear it out, and I hope it is comfortable for me during recovery! If not I guess I could recover in bed, but I'd have to move a lot of stuff in there. Where are you setting up your nest, in a recliner? sofa? bed? Easy chair?

It's always good to read your posts, since we are doing much the same things to prepare for this surgery. I said above that I wasn't scheduled for joint class, but now I am, on the 6th. :yes!:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm not talking about pain meds. I have Parkinson's Disease and when my meds aren't on time, things get scary.
Oh, yes, they should be on top of that!

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
@ Carole, My mother had one of those lift recliners. I don't think I'd want one unless I was wearing Depends. When I gotta go, I gotta go. The lift recliner that my mother had was soooo slooooow. Maybe yours isn't like that. What happens if the power goes out? Can you get out of it when it's reclined?

My nest was in the living room last time. The couch is comfortable, my recliner is here, my laptop, the freezer, snacks. I have a bathroom with a shower with a built in seat, and I'll put my toilet riser on the toilet.

Once I can do stairs, I'll move upstairs to the guest bedroom. Then, when I'm not afraid of hubby bumping my knee, I'll move to my own bed. I'll have to be off my walker too because it won't fit on my side of the bed.

My daughter, who lives out of state and has 4 kids aged 7 to 16 that she homeschools, wants to come and help. They usually sleep in the livingroom when they come and my daughter uses the guest bedroom. Her oldest has recently broken two bones in his ankle, so I don't know if they'll be coming. She could drive me to therapy, but I don't know how that'll work out. She has helped her mother-in-law through 3 hip surgeries (one was recalled) so she feels she should help me too.

I have three other daughters, one next door, who is a PTA, one 50 miles away who has 6 kids and one who lives in another state.

My joint class is the day before yours.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
@sewhat , it would be great to have your daughter drive you to therapy if she can manage that while dealing with a kid with a broken ankle. My sweetie (boyfriend) who lives next door, says he'll drive me so that would be great.

I don't know what I'd do if the power went out while I was in my recliner. The power hasn't gone out here for more than a couple of seconds since I moved to this house four years ago. Guess I'll just take my chances. Your nest sounds just perfect! Well I didn't try out my ice machine and Lounge Doctor yet today. I had to do laundry and I am icing down with a giant gel ice pack right now. Maybe tomorrow I can get all that set up.

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
My daughter from next door was just here. She and another daughter have got things all figured out. She is taking 2 weeks off from work to help out with getting me to therapy. Then my other daughter will come with two of her kids to help out. There goes my couch/nest. We have a room downstairs that is full of stuff from when our parents died. Hubby was an only child, so he got all his folks' stuff and my mom died early and my dad remarried. I am centrally located, so I got all the stuff from my parents and no one has come to get any of it. So now the plan is to make enough room in there for a bed for me. There's a bathroom right next to it and I can close the door to get some sleep.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
@sewhat , I hope that moving your "nest" down there works out. Sounds like you will have almost too many caregivers! Just kiddint; that's probably impossible and you will love having all that help. Besides, it's nice to know that they all care and want to help.

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
@ Carole, I won't have them both at the same time. Next door daughter will stay at the hospital overnight with me and help out with driving me to PT , then she goes back to work and other daughter will come. Other daughter has a kid with a broken foot and a birthday, so coming later helps her out.

Hubby measured the junk room, and we'll probably work on making room for a bed in there tomorrow.

The hospital called and did an interview over the phone. The do you smoke? drink alcohol? use recreational drugs? etc interview.

One reason my daughter is staying overnight in hospital with me is to make sure I get my meds on time. I take 3 different pills multiple times a day for Parkinson's Disease and if one is late, it throws off the schedule and meals and it's a mess. Nurses get busy and don't get them on time. I wish they would just let me do it. I wear a watch with vibrating alarms set for all my meds.

I've got PT lined up with a therapist that specializes in PD. He's the one that was working with me when my knee gave out. I have to have speech therapy also. When I had my thyroid out last December, my vocal cords got messed up and I keep losing my voice.
]

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm glad you'll have your advocate with you to make sure you get your Parkinson's meds on time. Like you say, too bad you need to do that, but better to have that backup.
Sounds like you're getting your ducks in a row. :)

OP
OP
sewhat

sewhat

Country
Today we cleaned out an area in the junk room for a bed. Problem is, we didn't have a bed. Our granddaughter came over an saw what we had done and told her mother. She got after us for moving the Bowflex monster by ourselves. It was in the middle of the room. So hubby told her we needed a bed and she got on her phone to someone at work (she works at the State Hospital) and they are going to loan us a hospital bed. Problem solved!
I put the pocket thing that I made for my walker on it and it's in there along with my ice machine. Joint camp is Monday. I'm feeling ready.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
@sewhat , a hospital bed? How perfect!

Yes, you DO sound quite ready! That was a lot of work getting an area cleared out to make room for the bed. My joint camp is Tuesday, the day after yours.

Top Bottom