Revision TKR Right knee has problems again

newlybionic

Staff member since July 2016
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I had my original surgery and had a MRSA infection a few weeks later. I had an incision and washout. Then months of IV and oral antibiotics. The knee never recovered as well as my other knee. Now my ROM is getting smaller, its swelling up and is painful. All tests I have had shows no loosening and no infection. The OS thinks its a large amount of scar tissue from the two previous surgeries and infection.

My daughter is getting married in December. I could either have the surgery in September so I would be better by December. (Her shower is in October.) My other choice is to wait until January and have it then.

So here I sit wondering what's best to do. I'm leaning towards January because work will be a problem too.

Aw Marian - I'm so sorry this knee is not giving you a break! I guess the question is can you stand the discomfort until January? If it were me I would just want it over and done with.

I'm sorry to hear your knee has problems again, Marian.

With Covid still messing things up, I'd be inclined to take the September date. There's no way of knowing what could be happening by January.

All I know is that my surgery was in March, and my son got married in August, with a shower in July. I managed the shower ok, but the wedding was tough, too much standing, too late an evening, stayed at a friend’s overnight since it was 90 minutes from my house, my knee was a mess by the time I got home.

Before I had my surgery I thought, I’ll be 5 months by the wedding, it shouldn’t be a problem. In my case, I was so wrong.

Tough decision for you, :console2:

I had to let the OS know asap if i wanted September. He said he would fit me in. My daughter who is getting married asked if I could wait until January. So January it will be. It will work better with my job. They will have to replace me on Wednesday and Thursday during all the weeks that I am out. I don't think they will be very happy with me.

So now I heading for surgery again. Afraid MRSA may appear again. I'm sure my anxiety levels will continue to grow as time goes by.

Afraid MRSA may appear again.
I hear you. But look at it this way - it's probably the safest time to have surgery these days. Areas are being ultra careful with cleaning and patient handling.

Is there any information about how long a revision knee replacement will last? I have one in my left knee and will be getting one in my right knee in January.

I think a revision replacement, done right, should last as long as an original. That is, at least 20 years, hopefully longer.
I'm hoping so anyway, because my revision knee is almost 9 years old now.

I had a few days when I had no pain in the right knee. I was beginning that I didn't really need to have a revision, again. Then yesterday it hurt all day and during the night too. I didn't get up to get some Tylenol because I didn't want to wake up the dogs or else they would all be up and ready to go outside.

On the x-rays everything looks good but when he aspirated my knee, when I saw him, he felt that there was a lot of scar tissue present especially since I had two surgeries on the knee within three weeks. I don't have full extension and sometimes I can't even put on my sock. It aches if I walk long distances. He doesn't feel that the knee would be ok if he did a laparoscopic surgery to try to get all the scar tissue that is holding me back. Hence, the total revision is what needs to be done.

I'm sorry you need another revision, Marian. I hope it goes well.

@newlybionic :console2: look on the bright side January is just 5 months away, you have the wedding & planning to look forward to, just keep yourself medicated and try to elevate your knee and rest as much as you can. I can totally relate where the dogs are concerned:puppysmooze: I even tiptoe around my bedroom in case they hear me:heehee:

I have a visit to my OS on Tuesday the 17th. I’m hoping to set a date in January 2021. The more I look at my leg the more I can see that my leg isn’t straight. This is the knee that had a complete washout and spacer replacement. Maybe that’s what has thrown it off line. It will be nice to have my knee and leg be happy again.

I hope you get a date and I’m so sorry you have to go through another surgery. :console2:

Newlybionic- Reading your experinces is how my leg is at present cannot fully extend my leg/ pain on walking any distances I did smile about not getting your socks on I can relate to this, how simple things like this can be so frustrating , seeing my OS at the end of this month and I too may need more surgery on my knee.

I am going to have surgery on January 12th, 2021. It will be a full revision. He plans on giving me a ‘permanent temporary’ knee to use his explanation. He’s going to give me a new knee that he gives to those that have had a MRSA infection in their knee. He says it will last at least 5 years or more and will make sure that I have no infection. I’ve had tests to check for residual infection and they have all come back negative. He said he will take lots of swabs to check for infection during the operation. It will be better to make sure there is no bacteria left in my knee. Who knows where I’ll be in five years.

That sounds like a very careful well thought out plan. Wishing you the best outcome.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this all over again, especially considering all you've already been through. But we must do what we must do.

Yesterday my husband asked if I really want to do this on Thursday. I told him, "No, I don't want to do it, but I'm going to do it".

That's where I suspect you are; you don't want to go through it but must in order to take your life back and live your life again.
I'll echo Jockette's question; does this mean in five years you'll need yet another revision?

Sounds like you have the expert who can get you through this craziness. Here's hoping this new approach does the trick!

Unfortunately I will need another revision down the road. It’s just not sure when. He says he has people with the knee more than 5 years. Just think when I turn 71 I’ll be having surgery again. It least by then I should be retired.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88