Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Great to hear your good news, Marian, and congrats on a new baby in February! Can you join a pool where you live so you an swim some more?

@newlybionic congratulations on a new grand baby coming! I hope they haven’t been working you too hard.

I also have found my knee does better with walking and activity. In the spring of 2017 I started a walking just 10 minutes 2x a day, adding 5 minutes every week until I combined the 2 walks into one longer walk. I can definitely tell a difference when I don’t walk.

Happy you are doing so well. Another cruise sounds great.

It's good to hear from you, Marian - and with good news as well. :friends:
I hope your knees continue to improve, and you can enjoy both your grandbabies when February comes.

My knees are both hanging in there. They both have been very stiff after my ten hour shifts. I’m changing jobs!
I’ll be working 7 8 hour shifts in two weeks. I’m hoping this will help with the stiffness and soreness I now have every day. I’m going into a new field of nursing. I’ll be working in a hematology/oncology infusion center that is closer to my home.

I now am watching my two beautiful granddaughters once a week and will continue to do so. My newest granddaughter, Scarlett is already 6 months old and the older one, Astella, is 20 months old. They keep me busy!
Hopefully I’ll have some more free time and stop by the forum more frequently.

Marian, that is such good news! We have missed you and are glad you'll have some time to come back. That job yo had before would have been awful for something with natural knees. It's amazing that you were able to do it as long as you did.

Enjoy those granddaughters! Congratulations!

Started my second week of work. No more class time for me! I was on my feet almost the whole day. My knees are a bit swollen and stiff. I’m going to find my ice packs and put them back in the freezer so I can use them. Tomorrow is babysitting day. I’ll be off my feet a bit more than today. I missed seeing them last week when one of them had pink eye. Both are fine now. I just love their hugs and kisses.

I am happy you are enjoying them Marian! I have mine over for sleepovers on Friday nights and we love it:)

Third week of work has had me on my feet the entire 8 hours and 30 minutes of lunch to sit down. My knees are not very happy with me right now. I changed jobs to be able to get a break from being on my feet during 10 hour shifts. Starting next week I’ll be working with a preceptor to learn the bulk of my new job. I’ve switched from hemodialysis to a hematology/oncology infusion center job. Lots of things to learn and an exam I have to pass. Even though my knees are sore (and so are my feet) my extension in my right knee has gotten better. I can finally stand with both legs straight and strong. I guess that’s an advantage to all my standing the last 2 weeks.

It sounds like you're coming along nicely in your new job. I'm glad your extension has come in and your knees are strong. Good luck with your new training and exam.

It sounds as if you're going to be able to cope all right with your new job, Marian. It's good to hear that your extension has improved.

This past weekend I finished studying for my exam and took the on-line exam and I PASSED!! One less thing to worry about. I also did my online portion of my CPR renewal too. Just need to be assigned to a hands on class.

My knees got stiff over the weekend. It seems to me they are beginning to like my new job. I’m not going to be standing as much as some of my previous workdays but I’ll have a chance to sit periodically to do my charting.

Almost forgot!!! My youngest daughter who is in my picture with me got engaged on Friday. Her boyfriend called me during the week to ask my permission to ask her. I’m thrilled for them both.

Yay, congratulations on passing your exam and a new future son-in-law.

I parked very far from where I work at the hospital today. I didn’t realize how far until I attempted to walk back to my car. I had to walk up a very steep hill (it didn’t seem that steep when I drove up there) and I almost didn’t make it to the top. I know I’m not in the best shape but my legs were struggling making that climb. Of course once I got there I realized that the shuttle was running and I could have gotten a ride there! Does anyone else have a problem with hills? I know I’ve read that some people go hiking but I don’t think I could ever attempt to do that.

I think anyone who is not used to a hill like that would have some trouble with it, especially those of us in our 60s.

I have to be careful going down hill. My knee gives way at a certain angle if I don't pay attention....one of those concentrated efforts.

I have trouble going downhill also, no matter how slight the slope. I have to go really slow.

Does anyone else have a problem with hills?
Yep, I do, too. Going up isn't too bad, but going down I have to go down backwards or sideways for fear of falling. I think it's just something many of us will have to do.

I’m not fighting the hill at work to get back to my car anymore. I’m waiting for the shuttle bus to take me back up that hill. I’m out of shape too since I got winded walking up the hill myself. I can go down hills but I’d be afraid of trying this one because it is much steeper than anyone I’ve tried before. So I wait for the shuttle to drive me down too.

Lately I’ve been having some pain in my lower back on my right side. I aggravated it by bending over to do IVs on lots of patients to get my IV skills back again. That was last week and I can’t seem to get it to feel better.
I’ve tried Tylenol without any help at all. I have been diagnosed as having degenerative disc disease. I’m wondering since it’s on my right side if it’s my hip or is it a muscle spasm? I’ve used heating pads without help either. I’m supposed to go back to my OS for a regular checkup but I don’t have any days off until I’m off of my orientation at my new job. I’ll have Monday’s off but I’m not sure if he has office hours that day or if he just does surgeries on mondays. Someone told me it’s not bad getting old but it’s the side effects that suck. He sure was right!

That's really smart to take the shuttle bus up and down that hill. I'm all for taking advantage of any device or service that can make things easier when needed.

And as for "it’s not bad getting old but it’s the side effects that suck", he sure got that right! :loll:But hey, as the saying goes, getting old is better than the alternative. I'm enjoying life more and more each year. I just checked and at the tender age of 64 I don't think you qualify as getting old, but now you know what to look forward to way in the future, ha ha!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom