Core Decompression Right hip

Anthonyb

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone I’m new to the group and not very good on forums etc.so sorry in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong place or it’s been posted about many times before!i was diagnosed with avn of the right hip in late December 2019,I had a scan in January my surgeon dr Ismail said it was at a quite advanced stage 2 and suggested I had a core decompression in April as an emergency.also the scan picked up early damage to my left hip aswell,how ever my operation was cancelled due to COVID 19.and pain has increased in both hips.after complaining time and again they have said they can do the operation in 10 days time.i have spoken to my surgeon on the phone today and he said if I was 50 not 42 And it wasn’t for COVID not allowing overnight operation yet,he would have me in for hip replacement no questions asked.but is reluctant because of my age.he know says it’s 50/50 or less that it will work.im worried my left hip will worsen.and I’ll be in a wheelchair or something,I’d be grateful for any advice or anyone been through anything similar regards anthony

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Anthonyb Welcome to BoneSmart!

No question about it - I would go for hip replacement. The surgeon is even saying that is a better solution. Age no longer factors into the decision. These days implants last a very long time. We have teenagers on this site who have had THR.

Decompression can be a long and very painful recovery. And in many cases it progresses to THR. Why not go direct to THR and avoid excessive surgery?

If your surgeon is reluctant to perform THR (very old school thinking BTW) then ask him who he recommends.

If you need help finding a surgeon give a shout. I am in the UK and might be able to recommend someone.

OP
OP
A

Anthonyb

Country
Hi thanks for the speedy reply. I’m awaiting surgery on the nhs and he isn’t reluctant to do the total replacement As such he sort of agreed that if it wasn’t for these uncertain times he would be inclined to do it. and if I was 50 it would be definite but as all hip replacements have been cancelled on the nhs due to COVID he can’t give a date for a total hip replacement as of yet. I’m so unsure what to do as I feel my left hip (goodish) one is also deteriorating. and the offer of core decompression is there for a week on Monday, but I’m also very wary of having a op with COVID around but my pain and limited mobility makes me feel like taking the risk, but not for it not to work.

alexthecat

omega
Country
United States United States
I was 42 years old at the time of my THR. That was ten years ago and I'm glad I didn't have to wait until I was 50. I hope you're able to get scheduled soon. Good luck!

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
You can search on this form about AVN. I have no experience but from the posts it seems like it more than likely leads to THR. The decision ultimately is your so do your research but it seems doing the THR gives you a shot at one and done.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Disney Mom
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom