THR Right Hip THA Anterior approach Nov 16

OhCalcutta

Country
United States United States
I had a TKA on May 3 2021. Comparing both, I would say THA worse…not because of pain but anesthesia and constipation. Morning nausea and constipation for 6 days….had neither with TKA!

My need for a new hip came up fairly quickly. After golf school last November, I was really working a lot on my weight shift and turn. In retrospect, probably not a good idea for my 68 year old body as I believe this caused me to tear my labrum. Pain from injury started last March and kept getting worse. PT and anti-inflamatories didn‘t work so I got the nod for a new hip on Sept 30.

Anyway, now 14 days post op with hip. I was able to stop the narcotics 3 days post op. At 10 days able to get around including stairs with no crutches/ cane. No pain…I would rather call what I have been feeling muscle soreness since I only feel it after exercise and sleeping. I am progressing slowly at being able to lift my right leg up when lying down and trYing to do sitting marching exercises. PT said this has to do with hip flexors but not worried as she said it will come…although I would prefer sooner than later.

One pretty neat think about the surgery is how the incision was closed. Instead of sutures, I have “zip line”. Looks like the lay a plastic bandage with attached zip ties over the incision area. I think they pull skin together along the incision and tighten the zips as the go. The advantage is no breakage of skin with needle is necessary so less chance of infection. At 3 weeks post, I just peel off the zip line dressing.

My post op meeting with surgeon is not until Dec 30 (6 weeks post op). I am hoping he will give me the OK to golf when I fly down to FL on Jan 5 for remainder of season. That is my goal…to golf again on Jan 6!

Attachments

• 9453CC87-3E69-4710-8767-B1986F993407.jpeg
    9453CC87-3E69-4710-8767-B1986F993407.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Welcome back to BoneSmart and the Hip side of the forum. Thanks for joining us once again.

As far as PT goes, It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

I will leave the Recovery Guidelines below. Please read through them as time allows, lots of good info.
Best Wishes as you continue healing!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

That is my goal…to golf again on Jan 6!
Pretty aggressive goal. Your hip will decide if this will happen in such a short timeframe. Please do get your surgeon's input on whether you should be twisting that new hip so early out. The surgeon may be fine with it. But I can tell you from my own experience, new hips do not like twisting for pivoting in the early days.

All I know is that he said “no restrictions”…if it doesn’t hurt its okay

The surgeon may be fine with it. But I can tell you from my own experience, new hips do not like twisting for pivoting in the early days
I agree with this because I've read here many times twisting and pivoting can increase the risk of dislocation which brings on excruciating pain and necessitates a visit to the ER on a stretcher. Certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone.

OhCalcutta, My surgeon said the same...no restrictions. If it hurts, STOP. I self imposed some restrictions early on after reading of the pain some suffered upon certain movements and how it set their recovery back. My thought was that if the common restrictions are good for many, why wouldn't they be good for me also.

If interested, use the SEARCH on the top right corner and type in "golf' and see when others were able to return to the links and how it went for them. Best of luck to you as you continue healing!

We all recover at different rates so your goal is pretty optimistic from what the majority of us have experienced. Keep in mind you first post stated that golf most likely damaged your hip to start with.

I tore my hip labrum which caused the pain. I don’t have a labrum now
I believe that having goals helps with recovery. I played my first full round of golf after last year’s TKA at 9 weeks post op and never looked back. So my goal now is Jan 7. I see the surgeon on Dec 30. If he says ok, I will be playing.

Go for it! All the best!

Nothing wrong with realistic goals. If you get a nod from your surgeon, I wish you well.

Hello and glad to read that you are progressing well. I hope your goals come true for you! Happy healing.

Hi and good luck with your goals and sincerely hope you will make them. I am an ex golfer, finished as 11 official handicap. I am ten weeks into 2nd hip replacement but would say the only thing I would be driving now is the buggy/cart but we are different and all recover at different rates and with different success. When I first started playing golf I was told that a round of golf was a 4 to 5 hour lesson in humility which, after a few rounds I understood. But now I would say that recovering from hip replacements is a never ending lesson in humility.

May the golfing gods smile down on you for the 7th January when you tee up and you have a great pain free round...

@OhCalcutta Congrats on your THR!

I have not yet asked my OS about resuming golf as we normally play in summer due to too many snowbirds at our course in winter. I had surgery Aug. 1st.

I won't see him again until my 1 year anniversary when he will do x-rays and physical checkup.

Please keep us updated on your possible return to the game this winter.

I am now 4 weeks post up. Went to out patient PT on Monday. PT says I am doing well at this stage..no pain, no assistance, can do stairs. He said goal now is to get the new ball moving easily in the new socket so I have a bunch of stretching exercises. I told PT that MY goal is to be golfing on June 6. He thinks that might be a little aggressive but says it will likely come down to Doc’s interpretation of my 6 week post op X-rays. Hopefully nothing will be out of place and no fractures. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome at that appointment on Dec 30. If I get the ok, I will take it easy and won’t go overboard. If not, I will just hang in there.

Thanks for the update @OhCalcutta
Good luck at your appointment on the 30th. Let us know how it goes. In the meantime a Happy One Month Anniversary to you, a couple days early, and the merriest of Christmases! :banana-santa:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying the progress you're making. Please leave an update if you feel up to it next time you stop by. We'd love to hear how your recovery is going.
All the best in 2023!
@OhCalcutta

Hi All

i saw my Doc at 6 weeks and got the ok to golf as long as I was careful. My first round was at 8 weeks on Jan 9 And just finished my 3 round today. My hip is fine…no pain. My mid back is stiffening up after golf. Could be I am out of shape or trying to be too careful when swinging. Anyway taking it easy and enjoying golf again with zero hip pain.

I still can’t easily tie my shoe or put a sock on but that will come as the hip continues to heal!

After my left TKA in May 2021 and right THA in Nov 2022, my advice to anyone about to go through either of these is to follow your Doc’s and PT’s instructions. Don’t get ahead of yourself. The healing will happen if you let it!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Great to read things are going well for you. Hopefully you're enjoying more progress since last time you posted. Take good care!
@OhCalcutta

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom