Right hip O/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerlylli

Hey,

I have been posting on the TKR board because, I have had a RTK & LTK replacement within a year. I thought I was done with replacing anything else but, now I find out my right hip is arthritic.

I had an hip injection shot on 07/31/12. It didn't even last 24 hours until, I had that old familiar stabbing sharp pain again. I am so disappointed. I thought I would at least get a month or two of relief. I don't know what my OS will say or suggest or maybe I do(?)

My other problem is that my mom broke her ankle last year and she has been wearing a brace for about a year to see if her ankle would heal with out surgery. Guess what? She will have to have surgery on 08/24/12. My mom is 79 years old. She is so disappointed but, I told her she doesn't have much of a choice now - it's either surgery or maybe trying another brace. I will have to put my hip pain on hold until my mom gets well.

Anyone who has had hip injection shots - How long if any did you get relief from pain?

How often did you get the pain shot? I know it is a temporary fix but, I figured it would be longer than less 24 hours relief.

My OS said from the hip x-ray that I had spurs growing all over it so, I know by the pain alone it is pretty messed up.

Thanks,
Tygerlylli

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Tygerlylli

So sorry, that it looks like you are heading for a THR... I have been told, THr's are easier recovery than TKR's so that is something to look forward to.

I know nothing about having the injections, having not experienced it.. But other members are sure to jump in and provide some suggestion, informational dn advice..

Sad about your Mum, poor darling :)

Looking forward to hearing about your THR journey :)

annie1234

Country
United States United States
I've had 4 injections of my rt hip for bone on bone pain. The first 2 were absolutely wonderful--pain gone and nearly full ROM the next day and each lasted a full 3 months. The 3rd didn't give me as great relief and only lasted about 2 months. The 4th gave minimal relief and only lasted a month. I see the OS tomorrow to proceed to THR the sooner the better. He says I can't even try another injection as there is no space to get into. I thought I was lucky that the injections bought me almost a year before going for surgery. Now the more I read here I wish I hadn't waited so long. Good luck to you and your Mom.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
There's no 'average' for effectiveness of steroid shots. Sometimes they work wonderfully well for months and others all the way down to doing nothing at all. Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes. You can just never tell. Besides which, they're really not a treatment, just little more than a Band Aid.

NJW

Hey,

I have been posting on the TKR board because, I have had a RTK & LTK replacement within a year. I thought I was done with replacing anything else but, now I find out my right hip is arthritic.

I had an hip injection shot on 07/31/12. It didn't even last 24 hours until, I had that old familiar stabbing sharp pain again. I am so disappointed. I thought I would at least get a month or two of relief. I don't know what my OS will say or suggest or maybe I do(?)

My other problem is that my mom broke her ankle last year and she has been wearing a brace for about a year to see if her ankle would heal with out surgery. Guess what? She will have to have surgery on 08/24/12. My mom is 79 years old. She is so disappointed but, I told her she doesn't have much of a choice now - it's either surgery or maybe trying another brace. I will have to put my hip pain on hold until my mom gets well.

Anyone who has had hip injection shots - How long if any did you get relief from pain?

How often did you get the pain shot? I know it is a temporary fix but, I figured it would be longer than less 24 hours relief.

My OS said from the hip x-ray that I had spurs growing all over it so, I know by the pain alone it is pretty messed up.

Thanks,
Tygerlylli

Wow! When I first read your posting, I thought it was me! In June 0f 2008 I had BLTK replacement. I recovered quickly and never looked back. I was back at the gym, working out; stairs were no longer an issue. Life was good. I began noticing pain in my hips, especially my right, over a year ago. I pretty much ignored it while I cared for my husband who had been diagnosed with a degenerative brain disease. My pain got worse but I didn't have time to deal. In February my husband was diagnosed with cancer and died 6 days later! I remember the day of his memorial service, I realized I could barely walk due to hip pain. Then I began having pain in my knee too. My orthopedic doc said the x-ray shows bad arthritis and bone spurs in my right hip. My steroid injection gave me about 2 weeks of relief. They wanted to try blood platelets injected into the joint but also said I would have to have it replaced, eventually. My internist has referred me to a surgeon who has been doing the anterior method of hip replacement since 2007. My appointment is the 13th. I am much more nervous about this than I ever was about my knees. Maybe it is because I am now alone; no husband to look after me.

I Know what you are going through. I trust my internist's opinion and he really believes in this surgeon. So for now, I will see what the new surgeon says and take it from there.

NJW

rider1960

post-grad
Between my two hips I had 5 injections. I got the best relief with the first couple, but nothing more than a couple of months of maybe 50 percent relief. They just didn't seem to work well for me. The last one I had on the left did absolutely nothing. Since then I've had both hips replaced. First hip healed quickly and beautifully--I've celebrated every day since the surgery; it feels SO good! The other hip itself is healing fine, but I've had some muscle tearing because of aggressive post op PT. That will need some more time before I'll be up and running as well as my other hip is.

It's a wonderful world without that terrible arthritis pain, so I hope you are able to get a replacement done as soon as possible. Best wishes for a successful surgery for your mother too.

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyla
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom