THR Right hip done, "Fred" is on board.

Hahaha! :heehee: Sorry about that!
My message was for YOU, Freedom. I haven’t had a full cup of coffee to clear the cobwebs yet….is that a good enough excuse? :shrug: :wink:
@Freedom

Lots happened the last few days - good progress!

I removed the commode from over the toilet; it was there to raise the seat. I am now thinking I should get the Carex hinged round toilet seat riser. My legs aren't strong enough to lift me, I have to push up. Starting from a higher position would be easier.

I no longer use the leg lifter to get in and out of the shower! Nor to get in and out of the bed!

Wednesday morning I took the dogs out in the car to a local park. Normally I take them out at least 4 times a week to one of 4 places where they can run off leash; but they had not been anywhere since July 28th, the day before my surgery. So I took them to the nearest, less than 2 miles from home. They were SO excited they were whining and barking the whole drive over. The track loop is 1 mile, so it is double the distance I had been walking daily with the dogs. And I did it! I was sore that evening, to be expected, but I did it! The dogs had a blast, burned off tons of energy. Thurs and Fri I stayed with the 1/2 mile route around the neighborhood. We live at the top of a hill; all the rain from Ida meant there was flooding in low lying areas. That local park is at the very bottom in the valley, it will take a few days for that to dry out.

Thursday that is all I did, the short dog walk.

Friday -today - has been another banner day; preparing for the long holiday weekend. I walked the dogs the 1/2 mile, stripped the bed, did 2 loads of laundry (which means 3 times down the cellar stairs and back up), AND I mowed the lawn.

At this point, I feel I am back to normal, even though I am taking 3 Tylenol once or twice a day, depending on what I do. Normal for me, means going up stairs is very hard, and getting up off the toilet and from a chair is awkward. I can solve the toilet situation as mentioned above. I know I talked about doing some squats, but I haven't done ANY. I need to get moving and do that, see if I can improve my upper leg strength. At this point, I am back to where I was for the past 4 years, which is unbelievable for 5 weeks post op! I'm surprised and pleased with this.

And just because, I will give the video of the dogs at the park on Wednesday, their first outing in 5 weeks. I taped this to share in the CCL Recovery groups, as Frankie, my 6 year old, had TPLO surgery on both back legs earlier this year. Left was Feb 22, right was Apr 28. It can be fun for anyone to watch though, even without knowing what was involved with the TPLOs.

@Freedom Excellent up date :yay: I love the video of you and you dog posse! They are all adorable.

Thanks for the update. You’re making great progress! I loved setting aside those recovery aids one by one. It’s such a wonderful feeling. The dogs are certainly cute and entertaining. You can tell they like their time outdoors on their walk.
Have a great holiday weekend!
@Freedom

Sooo glad you're doing so well !!! Wow!

And, LOVE your video !!
"Tasha ....WALKIES!"..... ROFL !!!!!!!!! :heehee:

Dh and I *love* LOVE our doggies sooo much, so I love
everything doggie-related.

I volunteered in rescue for 8 years; foster failure many times over.
Ohhhh, hubbs and I have, too!!! We haven't fostered in a while,
but---omg, once my hips are better, I cannot WAIT !!!

See that precious guy on the far right? He was a hospice
foster....omg, we ADORED him! It's been 4 years since
we had to euthanize him, and I still cry.
gtWcKjL.jpg

Last edited:
@Puggles not sure if you remember Barbara Woodhouse? She had a program on PBS television, "Training Dogs the Woodhouse Way," on BBC and PBS, 1980 or so. I learned SO much from watching her shows! And "walkies" is one of her commands; I've used it for years! Tasha is age 16, and does not approve of me stopping. Not to take photos or videos, and not to talk with other people. I am there for HER walk, it is HER time, and the moment I stop, she barks at me, until I start moving again. It was very annoying as I wanted this video for the CCL Recovery support group, to show how well Frankie is doing now he's recovered. And Tasha would NOT be quiet! You can barely hear Frankie and Belle rumbling in their play fighting, thanks to Tasha. I am glad you enjoyed the video!

Attachments

• a walkies.jpg
    a walkies.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 144
And "walkies" is one of her commands; I've used it for years! Tasha is age 16, and does not approve of me stopping. Not to take photos or videos, and not to talk with other people. I am there for HER walk, it is HER time, and the moment I stop, she barks at me, until I start moving again

Thanks, I'd not heard of her---I'll find that show and watch it.
Ohhhh, I can SO relate to having a doggie like your Tasha !!!
Our Sophie was the SAME !!!! Succch a wittle alpha! And,
when we had fosters in the house, she was NOT happy!

I was one of "those" Mommies whose doggie had a better
wardrobe than I did! :heehee:

8TqKvTk.jpg

Saw my surgeon this morning, 6 weeks post op. All fine. Return in another 6 weeks.

I took photos of my xrays. I asked him about the white lines on the left; he said those are staples for veins they close off. Those staples stay there . . . forever! I had no idea.

Also, with permission I took a picture of this poster which always fascinates me when I go there. There's a bit of reflection, but I think you can read it.

Attachments

• P1040468 (2) (Small).JPG
    P1040468 (2) (Small).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 129
  • P1040467 (2) (Small).JPG
    P1040467 (2) (Small).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 157
  • P1040462 (Small).JPG
    P1040462 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 136
Well, I haven't posted in a few weeks. Just chugging along, doing what needs to be done. I have 2 questions.

1. I am definitely walking worse than I was 4 weeks ago (at the 6 weeks post op check with the surgeon). I have significant pain on the outside of the right leg, upper thigh area. This over beyond the scar which looks fine (I had anterior approach). Problem has been almost 7 days now. I ended up in tears today, from frustration mostly. What is around that part of the curve of the leg? Any thought what I can do to help it along?

2. Not sure where to put this question; definitely have a problem with my right shoulder. In general, we say that hip replacement is easier than knee replacement. I've read that rotator cuff repair is harder than a shoulder replacement. But the shoulder replacement . . . met a guy walking his dog while I was walking mine, we walked along talking . . . he claims a shoulder makes the knee seem easy? He has never had any joint replacement, he was basing this on what someone told him.

Thanks for any info, ideas to help get me moving and walking better again.

Hi @Freedom
Haven't been on the site quite so much so missed seeing your post with the cool poster!
I'm sorry you are having the thigh pain.

I have significant pain on the outside of the right leg, upper thigh area. This over beyond the scar which looks fine (I had anterior approach). Problem has been almost 7 days now. I ended up in tears today, from frustration mostly. What is around that part of the curve of the leg?
I would contact my doctor to let him be aware.

Bursitis is fairly common after THR. Doing too much too soon can lead to some unnecessary hiccups, so sometimes a step back with activity is very helpful.
Still early days, my friend.:friends:

Check out this article in our library.

Not sure where to put this question; definitely have a problem with my right shoulder.

How about starting a pre op thread in our shoulder section which has been growing?

Last edited:
Bursitis. Pfft. It figures. I am a gardener. This time of year, I am putting all the beds away for winter. Bend and up, bend and up, repeat a couple hundred times a day. Plus, I've set over 100 flower bulbs, for Spring. I'll have a look at the link, and the shoulder section, later today. Got a ton of work on the To Do list outside again today.

Freedom
I’ve had surgeries on both my shoulders. First was a manipulation for “frozen shoulder”. All other attempts (PT, cortisone injections etc) failed. It was outpatient and quick. You’re asleep for it as they are breaking through scar tissue.
I was directed to start moving it the next day with simple pendulum swings and rotations. I had a CPM chair that moved it slowly up and down to keep the blood flowing and help restore ROM. Really not a big deal.

I had a rotator cuff repair on my left. Actually the rotator cuff part was “minor” but he did a “subacromial decompression” (Google it) which was hugely helpful. Little more involved, I think I stayed one night. Best thing you can do for a shoulder is sleep in a recliner for a while. Much more comfortable than a flat bed.

I’m not as familiar w shoulder replacement. I’ve had a knee and one hip so far w other hip scheduled for early 2022.
But here is what my hospital says about them. This place is great. Nothing but 5 star care and compassion. Plus the best surgeons on the planet. I’ve been to 5 of them!

Good luck!!!

@Freedom I'd take what the walker guy said with a large grain of salt. Since he's only repeating what he heard he really does not know what's what with shoulder replacement. Now I can not speak about knee replacements - haven't had one of those. But in my experience shoulder replacement is about the same degree of pain and difficulty as hip replacement with the + side being shoulders are not weight bearing so it's much easier to avoid the ODIC (Over Did It Club). But shoulders are small and complex joints so the surgery is probably as complex as the knee surgery.

If your shoulder problem is bursitis rather than degenerative arthritis ( or some other problem) then it might be helped with a shot of steroids. It would be a good idea to get a consult with a good shoulder surgeon or your primary doctor for x-rays and to see if such a shot would be helpful.

@Freedom

If your shoulder problem is bursitis rather than degenerative arthritis ( or some other problem) then it might be helped with a shot of steroids. It would be a good idea to get a consult with a good shoulder surgeon or your primary doctor for x-rays and to see if such a shot would be helpful.

Yes, I don't know what the problem is. Back in March I fell on some black ice. My feet with forward, I went down on my butt. My hands hit asphalt before my butt did. Shoulder and elbow have been painful to use ever since. I never bothered having it checked; at the time, I wanted to get my hip done. I figured I can walk my dogs with a bad shoulder; couldn't do it with the bad hip. Thanks much, all of you!

Initially I intended to have the shoulder addressed this year, as well. But I've had to deal with 3 surgeries this year. My youngest dog, Frankie, age 6, had TPLO on his left rear leg on Feb 22 and on his right on Apr 28. I got to do the ice pack and PT work with him. 12 weeks on each side. Then my right hip. I've had enough for this year!

I have a severely infected sebaceous cyst on my back. I tried - oh my how I TRIED! - to get this thing removed pre op. Wasn't able to, in part due to pandemic backlogs, in part due to a major screw up at a surgeon's office (they have waived all the fees associated with that visit).

Do I call my orthopedic surgeon? My primary? Go to the ER? I can just barely reach the darn thing, so I can't manage to deal with this one on my own. SO FRUSTRATING as I tried really hard to avoid this.

Hello Freedom,
I‘m sorry you have to deal with this. If it were me, I’d start with my Primary or a Dermatologist. I wish you the best and hope its addressed and clears soon.
@Freedom.

Hello Freedom,
I‘m sorry you have to deal with this. If it were me, I’d start with my Primary or a Dermatologist. I wish you the best and hope its addressed and clears soon.
@Freedom.

Thanks. Just called primary's office. My doc is not in today, someone else will see me this afternoon.

The orthopedic surgeons and the joint class at the hospital just drum it in to not get ANY infection as it can go to the metal joint, and I have 4 of them, so I'm a bit crazy here. Speaking w/ the nurse at the practice has helped!

I never got these until I started with the joint replacement surgeries. Each time, I've developed a new one, complete with infection. 4 times. There has to be a connection, but I've no idea what that could be.

Found this in a speedy online search. Interesting!

“Any type of major surgery can stress the body and suppress the immune system. The reasons for this aren't fully understood, but we do know that surgery and the anesthesia medications given to help make you sleep can be hard on the body. It can take a couple of weeks to many months for the immune systemto recover fully”.

Looking into ramping up your immune system through diet and supplements may be helpful. Can‘t hurt going into cold and flu season, right? :shrug:
@Freedom

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram