THR Riding a motorbike post RTHR

Burias

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,
It’s great to read so many threads on everyone’s experiences.
My surgery is booked on the 20th of may, only 5 days away. I’m 30 years old and have been suffering with my hip for 3 years now, no diagnosis of cause but hey here we are.
I don’t drive only ride a motorbike, I understand everyone’s recovery is different but my first question is what sort of timeframe am I looking at to ride again, I’ve seen the odd other motorbike forums saying around 8 weeks.
I think I’ll be trying to give a good recovery thread on the other side as I know being 30 years old is on the more rarer end when I’ve been looking for threads of people of similar ages.
Thanks all and I look forward to speaking to you all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 32 for my first hip, I'm sure you can find my recovery thread somewhere.

I'm assuming motorbike means what I (American) would call a motorcycle, with a right foot rear brake and right hand front brake.

I'd want to be really, really confident before getting back on the bike - you don't want to be unable to hit the rear brake and end up with all front brake.

Having said that, your likely to feel pretty darn good at 8 weeks... Personally I'd do a test ride with someone supervising and see how it goes. Laying down a bike while healthy is not great, but doing it on a recently replaced hip is a recipe for another surgery.

@Burias Welcome to BoneSmart! There really isn't any way of predicting when you will be able to ride again. The only certainty is that you will get back on that motorbike! You might discuss this with your surgeon and see what they recommend. I was driving at 6 weeks out post LTHR and at 4 weeks out after RTHR. But that didn't include being able to get on a motorbike.

I'll change your thread title so that our members can come and give you input on their experience.

@JoeKnows I imagine there are plenty I just probably didn’t look hard enough haha and yeah that’s right, thankfully I can be a careful rider but yeah that sounds like a great idea

@Jaycey yeah I thought that might be the case but Thankyou very much!

I’d seen some people had suggested not riding right away but just getting on and off and sitting on it just to get everything used to the positions again but I will definitely check with my surgeon about it all

Hi, I live for my motorbikes, I'm now 8 weeks post op. My surgeon and physio said to give it 12 weeks, and although I'm making good progress, in all honesty, I'm not 100% ready yet, and I am fairly fit. Talk to your surgeon and physio. A lot may depend on what you ride, as sports bikes have a lot more of an aggressive riding position. I'm counting the days until I can ride again.

And yeah I won’t lie but the anxiety is definitely kicking in now with only 3 days to go :heehee:

Yep, that's about right: about three days before surgery my brain finally said, "Wait! Surgery?"

Totally normal. I spent the last days calling my favorite people and buying up all kinds of items at the pharmacy so I wouldn't run out while in the early days of recovering.

I also made lists of favorite movies to watch, that type of thing.

Just give yourself something to do. Once you're at the hospital, you get greeted kindly, you see the organization. You have fear but not like this fear you're having now.

Tip: call your friends and tell them to send you a meal. Asking friends for "help" is vague and borderline useless. Asking them to send you a meal because you won't be cooking or need the help, it's so specific, that friends step up. They have to do no thinking and don't have to go through anxiety to figure out what you need. Funny: four years ago, friends brought me food to my house. These days, they'd probably send it by a delivery service.

Also take note that you can call your surgeon's office if you have ANY concerns after you return home. A friend of mine had an odd rash break out after her second THR. She didn't think to call her surgeon. Finally she did, and the surgeon's office brought her in right away. The hip was fine, the rash was odd. The point is that she spent days in anxiety and worrying. No need for that. Just call your surgeon's office--don't be embarrassed. They're ready to handle calls and worries and questions.

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best for surgery tomorrow. We will look forward to following your healing journey on the Hip Recovery side. Hope to see you there soon!
@Burias

Thankyou so much! Turns out they phoned last night and brought me in a day early, just been brought back to the ward! Seemingly everything went well :loll:

I got my motorcycles out at the weekend and had a go getting on and off, carefully, no problems, even got one on the center stand, both bikes feel way more comfortable to sit on as well, no pain. May take them out next weekend. Almost 9 weeks PO.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom