THR RHip9/12 - Hip Recovery Thread

RHip9/12

Country
United States United States
Just coming on board. I had the anterior approach procedure done on my right hip on September 12, 2019. It was a hard first 10 days, but I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I am grateful for this site, as the comments and info provided were more realistic than what my surgeon shared. Thank you.

@RHip9/12--
Just coming on board. I had the anterior approach procedure done on my right hip on September 12, 2019. It was a hard first 10 days, but I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I am grateful for this site, as the comments and info provided were more realistic than what my surgeon shared. Thank you.
So true!!!! Seriously, got next to no info at all about the recovery process; only that the surgery is very successful for "99%" of patients! How are you doing in these early days?

Today is officially 3 weeks post surgery, and I just progressed to using a cane today. I am doing much better, thank you, but I was not prepared by the doctor to experience the pain and discomfort after the surgery for as long as I did. His focus was on telling me my hip would feel immediately better after the surgery, and that I would be back to the sports and activities I played before the hip pain.
However, according to the surgery nurse, at 54 years old, my hip was worse than anticipated once they got in. They ended up giving me another shot of pain medicine while I was in recovery. I don’t remember speaking to the doctor, so I didn’t get to hear what he had to say about my hip.
I feel the media and society has reduced hip replacement surgery being a piece of cake, and mine was not. For the first 10 days, I questioned would I ever get better, as I was not bouncing back like I heard I would. I am so glad I found this site. Unfortunately it was after I finally began to feel better, but... reading people’s stories on this site began to make me feel better (at least more normal), as opposed to those on the Internet who are already back to work on the 5th day and such.
When was your surgery and how are you doing?

Hi @RHip9/12 . My surgery was Sept. 6, posterior approach. In my first few days I was feeling pleasantly surprised by my minimal surgical pain ( mostly because I was expecting to feel totally incapacitated and was so happy to weight bear and not feel a "wiggle" in my prosthetic!) So the first week and a half or so was spent in a happy contented haze when anxiety about the procedure was suddenly gone- I was walking for 5 minutes at a time and doing my very light hospital physio exercises 3 times per day (about 5 minutes per session) .... then .... what can I say... started falling prey to the hype about quick recovery, "miraculous" sudden disappearance of OA pain, "getting better every day" type of talk, all of which fed a growing worry about my muscle pulls, aches in my groin , knee etc.

I am hoping this upswing in symptoms relates to too much too soon and have since pulled back from physio. (I was diagnosed with OA 6 years ago and the past 2 have been pretty bad, with a lot of secondary changes to my IT band and and other soft tissue structures that have been doing their best to compensate for a malfunctioning hip) I am now focused on icing, walking 5-15 minutes around my house every hour or so and dong some light meal prep. My most bothersome symptom right now is an ache over my right (operative) hip, over the bony prominence- I assume this to be a tender and irritated iliopsoas muscle (it has been bugging me for the past week or so since upping some hip flexion exercise, which I have now stopped entirely.)

Still on my discharge pain medication regime of Tylenol extra strength 4 times per day and Aleve.

How is is going for you?

@RHip9/12
You'll notice that I have moved your newest posts and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Welcome to BoneSmart glad you joined us!

So many people have memories of these easy recoveries, when in fact they had rough time. Seems the just forgot how challenging it was.

Here is your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

@RHip9/12 Your surgery and recovery sound similar to most on this forum. Your comments are also all too common about feeling something is wrong because your recovery is slower than anticipated because of exaggerated recovery stories. You will get better, but it will happen slowly and it will take some time. The other thing about this surgery is every time you think you're healed enough to push a little more you'll have setbacks, we've all done it.

@RHip9/12 I had my right hip replaced by the lateral approach on 9/6. I could have written your post in regard to the total lack of information I received from my OS about recovery pain. My first two weeks were pretty brutal and week 3 I transitioned from walker to cane. I struggled with the post op blues at that point as cane walking introduced a whole new batch of aches and pains. Hang with this forum and vent when you need to, you really will get the support and understanding you need. My surgery was four weeks ago today and I’d say that in the last couple of days I’ve felt like I’ve turned a corner. I’ve been able to back off prescription meds during the day and the discomfort is for the most part tolerable. Still very reliant on ice though. Just take it slow...as hard as it is to be patient. It’s so easy to overdo.

:wave:@RHip9/12 and welcome to the forum.
I agree that some of the information you read about hip replacement surgery can make it sound as simplistic as a tonsillectomy. NOT!
But it certainly has given me my life back, and worth all the recovery struggles.
Keep all slow and mindful, and stay chilled :ice:
All temporary, my new hippy pal.
Healing vibes coming your way.

Thank you all for sharing your comments and experiences. @Eman85 Your comments about setbacks seem to be the pattern of my recovery- feeling better and then a setback. I know my friends and family mean well, but I hate it when they ask me how I’m doing, especially when I told them just the week before that I was getting better, when today, I am achy and tired. As I read all of the helpful information (and experiences) on this site, I mentally feel better. That and this great cold machine that the surgeon recommended. It has been my best friend throughout this recovery.
What I didn’t share in my first post was that by noon of the second day after surgery, I stopped taking the pain med that was prescribed due to a conflict with the pain med I have prescribe for another issue that I have (CRPS). Taking them both, with the antibiotic was making me very nauseous. My hip doctor advised against/told me to stop the CRPS meds, which I did. But by the 3rd day, the CRPS symptoms were manifesting, so I went with the CRPS meds (Tramadol), and 2 Advil every 6 hours and my cold machine regiment. The continuous use of the cold machine helped suppress any major unbearable pain.

Lastly, the anxiety of taking all of this time off of work is also weighing heavily on me. I am an elementary school principal and in my whole career, I have only ever taken a day or two off. Tomorrow will be starting my 4th week off, and although my assistent principal has been assigned as interim acting principal, I can’t help but be concerned about all aspects. And yes, it is what it is, but I can’t help but feel bad about being out so long when I really was lead to believe I would only be out 2, maybe 3 weeks (I know now, C-R-A-Z-Y!!!) My staff has been tremendous with the prayers, get well cards, emails, and texts with get well wishes, and gift cards/meals, but I know that this has been hard on them also. But as I have read throughout this site, I just need to focus on my recovery, be grateful for reaching each milestone and the comradery of everyone on this site. I know this situation is temporary and I have so much to look forward to.
So thank you all very much.

@RHip9/12 Glad you are feeling better. Yes, this recovery is a bit of a roller coaster ride. All that icing will certainly help ease any swelling that is causing pain.

Still early days for you. I hope you are not planning to return to work too soon. Healing that hip is your top priority. Plenty of time for work once that hip is healed.

Here's a great illustration we like to post about the ups and downs of this journey:
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

I feel the media and society has reduced hip replacement surgery being a piece of cake, and mine was not

It's become common practice to discharge patients very often the day after surgery and now more and more same day releases from surgery sites are occuring. I think some patients and the general public are viewing this major surgery as less than that (major surgery) due to this practice. Quick release has its benefits as I believe we rest easier in our own space but it also seems to diminish the weight that this surgery has on us physically and emotionally, especially when people are wondering why we're not up and running on week two. Take the time you need and try to lose the guilt over it.

Following is a comment made by the OS of one of our member's -
Look upon this operation as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.
Great advice in my opinion...

Warm wishes for a wonderful week!
@RHip9/12

@RHip9/12 I'm reading this after just talking to 2 friends that have had hip replacements. Same kind of deal with unrealistic expectations and feeling like they are behind in recovery. I'd say neither of their OS had a realistic program and a timeline for them. I am glad I chose the OS I did and his whole program was extremely planned out and realistic.2 weeks 6 weeks 3 mos 6 mos and 1 year will be memorable milestones on your journey, yes 1 year you will still be recovering.

Thank goodness for the shared experience, wisdom and support of our online community here! Seems like most of us were woefully uninformed (and subsequently, unprepared) for the reality of this maddeningly back and forth recovery process.

I know my friends and family mean well, but I hate it when they ask me how I’m doing, especially when I told them just the week before that I was getting better, when today, I am achy and tired.

I'm with you! Takes so much energy to reassure our well intentioned loved ones (who express their legitimate concern) that the back and forth of our symptoms is the rule, not the exception!

I have now adopted the attitude (voiced by our wise "elders" on this forum) to focus on the week to week changes, not the day to day ones and to expect and accept the setbacks as an indication that I was probably feeling good enough to push myself a little further than I should have!

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone ! And courage to all!

Good Morning All,
Just sharing that I learned the lesson about pacing yourself. As I mentioned yesterday, I was sore and achy. Unfortunately, I overdid it on Wednesday thru Saturday:bignono: (and by overdid it, I mean that I walked too much with a cane, not using the walker because I was feeling ok). Now I have more than paid for that mistake by pain and soreness both yesterday AND today. As @kfisher119 said above “It’s hard to be patient and not overdue,” the key IS to stop long before that. I wish I could say that I am in tune with all of the rules, but to be honest, I learn EVERYTHING the hard way, and never make things easy for myself.
So, for yesterday and today, I will restrict myself to my basic needs and spend a lot of time with my current best friend- the cold machine!!! (Oh, and of course my senior pug, who doesn’t leave my side
1570460104358.jpeg
1570460104358.jpeg

So sweet your little furry buddy!

I did the SAME thing with the cane. Decided one day I was sick to death of that clunky walker and I was ditching it. I walked circles around my home trying to acclimate and just the change in gait and I'm sure the circles in turning many corners throughout the day was enough to land me in the ODIC. Thankfully with ice and rest it was very shortlived. Hopefully you find relief soon. Just another reminder we can't rush this recovery. A difficult lesson for many of us to learn.
Wishing you comfort and a brighter day as it progresses. :SUNsmile:
@RHip9/12

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom