THR Rhiannon89's recovery thread

My blood pressure just will not give up, my pain is fine, and I can move my leg but the moment I sit up to try and go to the loo it drops. I get sick and sweaty and I cant move.
The physio helped me to the bathroom yesterday and I was doing great with my frame then all of a sudden I was unable to move or speak, I ended up with all the nurses in the toilet with me!

When I was admitted yesterday they said they were trying to get me home today, we have decided on maybe tomorrow

Oh my stars... Do be careful, no falling. Sorry for the hiccups.:console2:
Hopefully the effects of the anaesthesia are wearing off and things begin to normalize today.

Hi there Rhiannon,
Welcome to the healing side once again. Sorry you’re dealing with the blood pressure issue, it’s one we read about here often enough. I’m sure it will regulate soon, you’ll be discharged for home and begin the healing journey with your new hip. Keep us posted, we’ll be watching for updates. May today be a good one! :)
@Rhiannon89

Blood pressure seems to have sorted itself out :) I can now walk on crutches, including getting myself to the bathroom!

Trying to keep ahead of my pain now, i refuse to wait until it really hurts to get my relief

Realised I hadnt updated in a while! Came home on Thursday, there was a big mess up with my drugs on discharge, I told everyone that I dont take codeine and they still tried to discharge me with it. Also had the battle of injections vs tablets for blood thinning. I had the tablets last time so I argued with everyone until they gave in, I wasnt going to be able to inject myself for 4 weeks!

Anyway since I've been home things have got better day by day. I can get around the house on 1 crutch if I need to carry something, I had a shower yesterday (with help) which felt amazing. I had issues with my back when sleeping but it doesnt seem to be as bad now, I am rolling on to my non operated side every so often but it doesnt give me much of a relief. I spend a lot of my time in my recliner!
Headaches started last night but they seem to have eased off.

I cant believe this time last week I was anxious about what was happening the next morning, its flown by!

Welcome home @Rhiannon89 ! And welcome to the double hippie club! Sounds like you are doing really well. Recliners are the area of choice for many of our members. Slow and steady - you've got this!

2 weeks post op today and doing well! I dont use crutches in the house, I'm not really taking any painkillers anymore. Just taking each day as it comes :)
We are off out today for my boyfriends little boys birthday so I have to get on a train but luckily it's only a short journey but I'm sure I'll be pretty tired later!
Wound is looking great and a perfect match for the other side, all in all this recovery is proving nice and easy so far!

All wonderful news! I‘m a little concerned about your plans for today, feels a bit ambitious for only two weeks post op. I hope you can rest and ice upon your return home and feel no worse for wear tomorrow. :fingersx: You’re doing so well that it would be sad to see you stall your great recovery.
All the best...hope it’s a good day!
@Rhiannon89

3 weeks post op and still doing well! I can walk around the flat without a limp now, today I walked 2 miles (with a break in the middle for a coffee!) With one crutch quite happily :)
I can get in and out the shower without help too!

I had my wound checked and it's all looking good, so just got to keep going!

I have this time round done no physio and I can see that it wasnt needed. My ROM has already improved and my leg is getting stronger by the day :)

You’re bouncing back quickly, Rhiannon,
Great news! Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a nice weekend.
I’ll now have an ear worm for the day of the old Fleetwood Mac song titled the same as your name. :wink:
@Rhiannon89

Just catching up and seeing your great recovery progress.
Hope your weekend is hippy happy.:flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well and you’re enjoying steady progress.
Have a lovely weekend! :)
@Rhiannon89

Thank you! I'm now driving, took myself to see my pony today which was the boost I really needed!

Struggling with pain at night again, I get some shooting pains down my leg and a lot of crampy pain, could I be overdoing it? I do think I've probably been doing a bit much for someone who walks with a limp when I walk more than a few steps! I feel like like I've gone backwards slightly

Happy to hear you're able to drive and you got a chance to visit your pony.

You could very well be overdoing it, try taking it a little easier for the next few days and see if you level out. Are you still using an assistive device for walking? If not you may want to use a cane or something if you're still limping. Also, practice the heel to toe walking and use smaller, slower steps until your gait improves.

Are you using any ice packs when you go to bed at night? May want to consider that. Also think about elevating your feet a little or put a pillow between your knees if laying on your side. Hopefully it's just a minor blip in the recovery road.

Hi again Rhiannon,
There is a saying often used here...”It Doesn’t Hurt Until You Stop” If you think you’ve been doing too much, you probably have been.

I agree with all, Elf mentioned above. Try dialing back the activity and see if the pain eases, then start out slow again, being mindful not to push it. The heel-toe walking usually works for a limp, but can take a conscious effort. At least it did for me.
I’m sorry you’re struggling and hope the discomfort eases soon.
@Rhiannon89

Happy to hear you're able to drive and you got a chance to visit your pony.

You could very well be overdoing it, try taking it a little easier for the next few days and see if you level out. Are you still using an assistive device for walking? If not you may want to use a cane or something if you're still limping. Also, practice the heel to toe walking and use smaller, slower steps until your gait improves.

Are you using any ice packs when you go to bed at night? May want to consider that. Also think about elevating your feet a little or put a pillow between your knees if laying on your side. Hopefully it's just a minor blip in the recovery road.

I use one crutch when I'm outside and I walk normally with it, I wont give that up until I'm not limping that's for sure! It seems to seize up when I sit for too long and cause a lot of pain when I then go to walk but once I've walked for a little bit the pain tends to go away!

Maybe I should go back to icing and using pillows when I'm in bed, I think I thought I was nearly done but maybe I should take a step back and just embrace the healing process!

Maybe I should go back to icing and using pillows when I'm in bed, I think I thought I was nearly done but maybe I should take a step back and just embrace the healing process!

Hi Rhiannon, It sounds like you have this figured out and I think your plan is the right one.
Good luck and please let us know how you’re doing after some rest and a slower start with a measured approach toward activity.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom