Knee Infection* Revision

6 weeks today. I'm still not able to say it was worth it. But.....pain has gotten better. I am moving easier. I just want to not have it feel so prominently now. I'd like it to fade away and not be my prime thing!!!!
I think it took me a full 6 months before my replacement wasn't the first thing on my mind. I had my left knee replaced December 2015 and remember it was the summer of 2016 when I started moving without thought.
Gotta say it was totally worth it. Believe me it's great walking without shooting pain. It's great not having to pop 600mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours.
I would not have gone through this again had I not had a great outcome.

Was kinda sedentary fir a couple days and was feeling quite stiff. Did a few stretching and bending excercises today, deels a tad better, but that band feeling around both my knee and ankle are certainly annoying.

I had that ‘tight band‘ feeling above my knee also. But I don’t anymore, so there’s hope for you. I’m ahead of you by a couple of weeks. Hang in there.

Still have that band feeling. A
Knee is swelling some too. 7 weeks tomorrow....I'm still not at the point I can see improvement. Bendng still not up there to a real level of comfort. Numbness still on the outside of the leg. But....I havent taken any meds but advil for 2 days. So I guess thats a plus. Just wish sone real reluef were in site.

So PT wants me back. Told me that in 7 days I go they want me to start walking up and down stairs as normal...one goot at a time. Leg stretches on my stomach with legs hanging off the bed and butt lifts. Telling me my new knee is now my good knee. Not looking forward to this, but I have such a sedentary lifestyle that it may be for the best. Ideas? Suggestions? Opinions?

Is your therapist not aware that our country is in the middle of a pandemic and most states (including New York) have a stay at home order? This means you should stay at home until further notice except for emergencies and trips to get food or prescription refills.

Please do not listen to this therapist. They are asking you to violate your Governor's statewide order and if they are open they are not operating in accordance with what has been directed. This virus is very serious and you need to abide by the guidelines set forth for staying away from others. Here is a list of "essential businesses" that may remain open in New York and nowhere on that list do I see physical therapy clinics:

1585701273977.png

I apologize for being so blunt, but you must take the order to remain at home seriously.

You can do mild exercises at home each day and be fine. If you need advice for what to do, ask your therapist to email you exercises or we can suggest some. Just let us know you need that help and we'll be here for you.

So PT wants me back. Told me that in 7 days I go they want me to start walking up and down stairs as normal...one goot at a time. Leg stretches on my stomach with legs hanging off the bed and butt lifts. Telling me my new knee is now my good knee. Not looking forward to this, but I have such a sedentary lifestyle that it may be for the best. Ideas?
It's still very early in your recovery and you should be having a mostly sedentary lifestyle at this stage. It's far too early to be doing what your PT wants.

In any case, with Covid-19 running rampant, you'd be very foolish to go to a PT facility.
Don't put yourself in danger. Don't go.

Week 9 today. Still uncomfortable. PT had be on a bike Thursday. Couldn't go around and ended up screaming....in pain. I cant go all the way around. I have it again tomorrow....I will NOT do that again. Walking is a tad better. Still waiting for that day its not first thing on my mind. Hope everyone is fairing well.

@valgriff2
After all we've advised you what are you doing still going to PT?
Your knee doesn't need it and you certainly don't need to be running the risk of catching Covid-19.

What's more, your therapist is potentially doing your knee harm, by making you do an exercise on the bike that has caused you extreme pain. That isn't going to help your knee. It's going to slow its progress.

Use a bit of common sense here. Stay home, stay safe, and stop putting your knee through harmful exercise.

By the way, I've merged your two threads. We prefer you to have only one recovery thread, so please continue to post in this one thread. If you bookmark it, you can find it easily when you want to post.

I went today and said no bike...he did do some massaging which I have to admit felt great. I have 3 more left. My bend is at 110°. Straightening isnt all the way there but I'm happy with what it is. Still the #1 thing I think of in the day. Some say I hope it'll become a natural nothing.

I went today and said no bike...he did do some massaging which I have to admit felt great.
Do you not know that there is a very dangerous virus out there that is killing people? What about social distancing??? You can't get a massage from 6 feet away.

:flabber: I'm flabbergasted that you are still going to PT surely with this deadly virus it isn't safe or ideal for you to go. PT can easily be done at home, you will eventually get the same results and not put yourself in harms way.
Seriously think twice before going again - it's more important right now to stay healthy & safe xx

I stopped for 3 weeks intil they changed their routine. 1 person per hour. Limited staff to only 3. Hand out masks and gloves. Disinfecting between each appointment. Limited hours for special cleaning every evening. I live in an extremely rural area. Very little to help around here. Weather is not optimum. Just trying to fain my normalcy again.

@valgriff2 We share the same surgery date. I too cannot wait until my knee isn't the first thing on my mind in the morning....and all day/every day. How wonderful if one day it truly becomes an afterthought.

Surprised to hear the PT is even open...Mine closed Up weeks ago...since PT is not the most important element for your recovery, (time is most important) I would not risk getting Coronavirus for a PT session....I promise you, time is your friend, not some PT session...

Did 5 minutes on a stationary bike. Felt good. Little sore tonight, but not even enough for advil. Maybe later. Seems stretching encourages easier movement, and I think I'm gonally learning to relax when I'm moving. Up till now I know I've been guarded...rightfully so. I also notice I naturally walked scuffing my feet...walking heel to toe, picking up my leg....like learning to walk all over again.

I now feel very unsteady and apprehensive walking on grass on ground. So afraid that I will twist an ankle or my knee. The thought horrifies me. Guess its just guarding this new knee.

I was unsteady most of my whole first year on grass. I think it’s normal to feel that way, but maybe the whole year for me was a bit abnormal, I actually have a partial which did not turn out well.

As you heal you’ll do better on uneven surfaces. I’m much better on them now at 3 years out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back