Knee Infection* Revision

Walked outside for awhile. Just that feeling a band is around my knee. Didnt do too much in regards to excerise today. Will do a bit tomorrow. Im not gonna go crazy....i just want to feel normal.

Try to be patient. This recovery takes time. Most people don't say they begin to feel "normal" again until about 6 months out. Yes, you're able to walk and do things, maybe a bit slower. But pushing your knee if you're experiencing pain will only delay your recovery. Set a goal for just mild discomfort with whatever exercise or activity you're doing and no additional pain or swelling the next day. Then you'll know that level of exercise is just fine and you're not overdoing it at all.

Yes! Until the last two weeks, could not sit long on a hard chair. Those hard pews in church are terrible, I have to put my hand under my thigh to keep the edge from aggravating the area. Didn’t expect that.

@valgriff2 : those “blues” seem to arrive when you least expect. I try to find a distraction or come here, or sometimes the tears just flow. It’s now been 8 weeks for me, that seems like a very long time, but am seeing for this surgery, it’s really not. Maybe you can look back to day one and note your progress. They say these feelings are normal but it doesn’t mean we have to like it.

So glad I can hear from people experiencing the same stuff. Did some nice stretches...but slow and easy. Didnt like PT too much, so I'm not missing it. Still crazy in love with ice!!!!!

@valgriff2 I love ice!!!!! As I don't take meds now it's a saviour. I will be 9 weeks next Tuesday and when I see posts at 4 weeks, I recall just how down I felt. There really is a pattern which as you say good we get to hear others experiences. My gait seems a little better and just doing sensible exercises. Wish you well, take care xx

Patience is one of the hardest things we learn in this recovery- most of us think once surgery is completed in a couple of weeks we'll be literally running around what we are not told is that it can take quite a long time and even longer for the impatient ones whom subject their knees to all kinds of physical abuse.
I'm just over 5 months, I followed a lot of the advice given here on BoneSmart and learnt things by a few trials and errors ( kneeling is one of them a huge no, no) depression in the early days is normal for most of us we are not used to being stuck /housebound friends and some families have no idea how to deal with it as their perception too is "hey you got a new knee
what the big deal " duh... so we feel even more isolated as we do not want to sound like we are exaggerating.
But I can honestly say one day you will get up & do your daily chores and suddenly realize that you haven't even thought about your knee xxx

Cant wait for the day i dont think about this knee. Seems very stiff. Much more "clunking" noises and feelings. Plus still so numb on the outside of the incision. Would just like 1 say feeling good!!!!

Sometimes when walking my knee feels like its going backward, or sliding side to side. Not often, but when it does it stops me dead. Still stiff and sore too.....honestly still cant say it was worth it. 5 weeks 4 days.

I hear ya, I just hit 10 weeks, its a slow, painful process, but it does get better with time, that tight ace bandage feeling around the knee just disappeared one day-the numbness is getting better- I rub my new knee a lot, it feels weird and I am trying to make friends with it, so it doesn't freak me out-LOL
I have felt that strange knee sliding feeling and it has disappeared, also the clicking has stopped- Its been a barrel of fun-NOT! but I am glad now that I had it done-I had the best feeling today when I woke up, I walked pain free into the kitchen, made my Uncle breakfast, then mucked it up going to PT at 8 Am and then working 9 hrs today-but I saw that glimpse into the future and it felt good. Hang tough! Better days are ahead!

Sometimes when walking my knee feels like its going backward, or sliding side to side. Not often, but when it does it stops me dead.
Your knee is still in its very early days of recovery and is weaker than it will be as time goes on. As it heals it will automatically become stronger. As long as you feel unstable you should be using crutches, a cane or a walker. You do not want to fall. That hurts! Plus, then you have to get up. That really hurts, I know!

Falling would not be fun.

Today my whole leg seems to hurt. My thigh, shin and ankle are aching. Inside of knee a tad tender. Those blahs are back. Honestly.....I'd love to just go to bed and stay there today. But.....my guy wouldnt understand that, so I'm on the couch. Blah.

Don't worry about what your guy would say. This is YOUR recovery, not his. You know what you need and that should come first. Your number one job is to heal your knee, not try and appease someone else. Sometimes, that includes just going back to bed until you feel well enough to get up.

Don't forget to ice and elevate while you're on the couch or in your bed. Those two things together are a very good pain reducer.

Better day....but still very aware that my knee isnt normal!

It will get to the point that you won't be able to tell the difference between the new knee and the old knee! It's a time thing, but it does get to feeling normal again.

6 weeks today. I'm still not able to say it was worth it. But.....pain has gotten better. I am moving easier. I just want to not have it feel so prominently now. I'd like it to fade away and not be my prime thing!!!!

Val, i am 9 weeks tomorrow, and it seems 1 step forward, 1.5 back in last few weeks...I felt very good the other day, opened my big mouth saying that, and has been miserable last few days...still think all will be well, but need time...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back