Knee Infection* Revision

valgriff2

Country
United States United States
10 days. Feb 10 at 10am I was in surgery. 3pm Feb 11 I was home. I cant say I see tremendous improvement. In fact one night I just cried. Still taking meds...plus adding 3 advil 3 times a day. I've had 4 in home PT sessions. But somehow, I still feel useless by 5pm. Comfort positions a rare to be found. Showering, toileting, and dressing are about as far as I can go. 58 yr. Old female feels 98.

Hang in there..... the first few weeks are really tough but get better slowly. I'm now in my 7th mo and recall tears and also anger. You may feel at times you'll never get better but you will. Some here on bonesmart are quick healers, I am not one of them. We're all different but seem to have similar issues just at different times in the healing process. Reach out to the folks here we've all been there and just may have some helpful suggestions for you. Hugs!

“Showering, toileting, and dressing are about as far as I can go”

that’s progress for 10 days!!!! I was miserable for the first 2 weeks, and the following two weeks have seen much progress, but nowhere near 100%...time is your friend!

Hi and Welcome!

This is a very slow recovery, an average of a full year, so at times it’s hard to see the progress.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Especially read this one about post op blues:

Slow but steady progress is the way it goes. As others have said the first few weeks are pretty miserable and yes you wonder if it will ever get better. I'm here at 16 weeks to tell you it does. Just takes more time that most of us thought going into it.

Hello @valgriff2 - and :welome:

I've done your signature for you, but please will you tell us which knee was replaced? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I will also add your name to the February Valentines surgery list thread.

Hang in there - things are going to get better, but do be prepared for a slow recovery.

You are right where a lot of us have been. You are not to two weeks yet. Things will improve!!!!

In those articles that Jockette posted for you, there should be one about elevation. That one helps a lot with finding a comfortable, resting position. Legs elevated, with a slight bend in your knee can be fairly comfortable for a lot of us. It’s the slight bend in the knee that people leave out sometimes, and that’s a key element. A totally straight knee can be miserable and that slight bend can make all the difference.

Things will almost certainly get better. They have for most of us. But it takes time and a lot of patience. Stick with us and let us know how the journey is going, the high points, the low points, and the lessons you learn are all important to share.

It was my left knee. Tough day today. But PT says they see improvement. Wish I felt it!

I’m so sorry your pain is so bad right now. Do be careful with the PT that you do. You don’t have to do any painful exercises. Right now gentle bends and short walks are all the exercise that you need. Don’t allow your PT to bend your knee for you, they tend to want to push it more than it can go, and that causes more pain and swelling for you.

Reread this article from the guidelines:

Ice is a good pain reliever, so ice while you elevate, just always have a cloth between your skin and the ice source.

Hang in there, as the others have said, it will get better, and we all understand what you’re going through because we’ve been where you are. :console2:

Agreed! Ice it around the clock, keep your pain meds going on schedule, and rest. If you’re short of breath and you don’t know why, maybe you should call your doctor.

This struggle gets easier over time, but pay attention to your symptoms so that they don’t get out of hand and so that you don’t miss some important warning sign. You can learn a lot by listening to your body.

I'm glad you're sharing your journey, even if right now it seems to you as if you are making no progress. It really helps to post the highs and the lows--just a few words of encouragement from others can make all the difference. The frustration, the worry--all normal reactions to this surgery and its long recovery.

Icing and elevating are definitely your friends right now! Like others, I ice "around the clock." When I go to bed, I position a gel pack under my leg (don't want to forget swlling at the back of the knee) and strap on the Air Cast. I actually think the rhythmic sound of the Air Cast helps me fall asleep.

I'm glad you listed showers as part of your progress. Amazing how a nice hot shower makes one feel more human!

The first two weeks can be very tough, physically and emotionally. Be as patient with yourself as you can, and let your knee guide you--any exercise or activity that causes pain leads to more swelling and more pain.

The early pain will pass... it will....hang in there. Take your meds on time as others have mentioned. I recall not being able to move my knee or leg laterally in bed a millimeter it seemed. Then without warning that pain faded as did others.

Someone is always here to listen (including us insomniacs) - we've been there... :tada:

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. Today was a fairly good day rught up until now....but I went directly to bed with my wedge pillow before it got too bad. So sometimes I feel like a child crying over a scraped knee...but its nice to hear from people who know how this feels.

So sometimes I feel like a child crying over a scraped knee.
I can't tell you how many times I broke into tears or had a tantrum post op. It's very frustrating feeling helpless and in pain. Just remember all this is temporary. You will increase your mobility and there will come a time when you forget you had TKR. Early days!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom