Revision TKR Revision TKR - Total Revision August 5, 2022

@BTKRmarch11 how are you doing now?

What kind of excessive movement are/were you having in your knee?

I am experiencing a wobbling side to side if I relax my leg muscles and gently swing my leg side to side and have started to wonder if this is a problem. If I tighten my leg muscles the wobbling stops. I have some new pains on the outside of my knee when starting to walk that I wonder if it is tied to the looseness in my knee. Up to now I have had a pretty speedy recovery but I get the sense something is wrong.

I will have a spacer revision surgery on April 28 to correct Instability. I have had Bilateral knee replacement on March 11, 2020, more than two years ago. I have had pain and instability from the beginning. Finally, I have got to a point that a revision surgery is set up. The surgeon is different than the one who did the Bilateral TKA. I hope the Spacer revision is the only thing that I will need to correct the Instability. Otherwise, the surgeon may need to remove the Femur component and replace it with a different one.

I would like to know how you did in a post surgery, if you have had replaced only the Spacer.

@BTKRmarch11 I‘m really sorry to read that you still have the same problem you’ve had all along. Will both knees have this spacer replacement?

Here is another member in the pre op forum also facing a spacer exchange:

While replacing just the spacers causes a bit less trauma to the knee, as compared to a complete revision, it is still major surgery and not a quick recovery. I hope it will fix the pain you’ve had for so long.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, since it is the same issue you’ve had from the beginning. We prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes as you move forward towards a solution! :flwrysmile:

Here is another member in recovery who just had a spacer exchange, and she’s had problems for a long time, too.

I did not go through with the revision of the spacer.
Too much risk and elevated possibility of re- revision. I will have a revision surgery with another surgeon, examining all components and soft tissue.

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully, you'll have success in your search for another OS.

Total revision of the right knee on August 5, happens to be my birthday too. Revision of the left knee to be done later. I have Instability in both knees, primary TKA was done March 11, 2020. I had my last visit with the primary surgeon last week. I held myself back talking to him. Most of what has happened is due to his surgery performed less less ideally. My revision surgery is going to be with a different surgeon at the same institution, the Chief Orthopedic Surgeon, his boss.

Let’s hope I will do well. I am prepared at home with ice machine and resting place on the first floor and walking in shower and toilet on the same first floor.

I had my right total revision yesterday. I have Attune Rotating Platform DePuy with medium size stem and tibia and femur sleeves.
I am at the hospital recovering.
Have some pain and difficulty moving due to swelling in the feet and calf area.
Anyone has had such Rotating Platform? How has been your experience.
20220805_210512.jpg
20220805_210150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m glad you’re done with surgery, now on to recovery. I have the Smith and Nephew nickel free revision implant so I can’t comment on your particular question. However, I can say that I had significantly more pain in my tibia after the revision than I had after the first surgery. I hope your pain and swelling get better soon!

I don’t mean to discourage you with the more pain comment - just wanted you to know that you may experience the same and that it’s normal. There are bigger implants in our bodies now. I am almost six weeks post op and I’m still having some tibial pain intermittently. Things are going well with recovery over all, though. Good luck!

Best wishes for your recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I expect to have pain and increasing function day after day with pain going down and function going up. I had a very very painful recovery when I did the primary tka, both knees bilateral. Both knees have been unstable from the beginning and serious high level pain for 15months. Slowly I was able to control my pain with wearing knee braces and limiting my activities. 29 months later I am having the first of two total revision surgery. Right knee is done, left knee in a few months.

The pain in your tibia may be due to the stem. Overtime, these types of pain subsides because bones are changing over time, they slowly reform themself.
Good luck with both us.

I’m so glad you’re having the revisions done. Even with the tibial pain, I have done better with this recovery than the last one. I’m sure the pain is due to the stem, just ready for it to decide to heal up! I hope you have the stability you need this time.

Total revision of the right knee on August 5, happens to be my birthday too.
Happy late birthday and I hope you are doing well after the revision. How did it go and what did they change?

The surgeon has replaced everything. Even the brand has changed. From a failed Smith and Nephew to Dupey Rotaiting Platform with stem 60 mm both in tibia and femur. Six days post op now, and resting recovering at home. Pain is manageable, but keeping the swelling low is a bit more tricky. Doing some exercises on the bed and walking around the first floor, not too much but just enough. Icing often. Overnight Sleeping is a bit short and spaced but lasting by 2-3 hours each time. I take OxyContin 5mg at night which helps me sleep longer. Taking Tylenol 1000 mg twice a day, Celebrex 200 mg twice a day plus Aspirin low dosage. Taking Antibiotics is ongoing for at least a few more days.

Pain and swelling in a lot less than than compared to the first time with the primary TKA. Even though this a total revision. It is too early to know whether my Instability has been corrected, but all the indications are here so far.

I have some pain right above the knee cap over the femur area that I think is due the surgeon needing to open and get a wider exposure to remove the femur component. It is very painful when aggravated by leg movements. I am very careful not to aggravate it by lifting my leg with a strap around my ankle.

So far so good as expected and manageable. I expect a long recovery of at least 3-6 months. The Instability in the left knee hopefully has been reduced with the right knee being more stable now. Will know over time.

Attachments

• E441D82A-AADC-4EB2-A543-0B5377448531.jpeg
    E441D82A-AADC-4EB2-A543-0B5377448531.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 64
  • C65813F6-E287-46A8-AC15-D68116013B7D.jpeg
    C65813F6-E287-46A8-AC15-D68116013B7D.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 63
  • E90ED066-556A-4523-A016-865F5698CA18.jpeg
    E90ED066-556A-4523-A016-865F5698CA18.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1C09E12C-763E-414E-9716-60FDD0EDCBFA.jpeg
    1C09E12C-763E-414E-9716-60FDD0EDCBFA.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 55
  • B5FC2E39-9070-4F64-8AF9-94256C2098CD.jpeg
    B5FC2E39-9070-4F64-8AF9-94256C2098CD.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 60
So glad your pain is manageable and that it feels better this time around!

I expect a long recovery of at least 3-6 months.
3-6 months would be a quick recovery. Many of us are closer to a one year recovery, and some longer than that. Best wishes for a successful recovery, however long it takes for you. :flwrysmile:

@BTKRmarch11
You have two recovery threads, an older one for your TKR and a newer one for your Revision TKR.
Would you like to have your recovery threads merged, or would you like to keep them separate?
Thanks,
Chris

@BTKRmarch11
You have two recovery threads, an older one for your TKR and a newer one for your Revision TKR.
Would you like to have your recovery threads merged, or would you like to keep them separate?
Thanks,
Chris
Please combine them. Thanks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics