TKR The other TKR, on August 25th

Good luck with the pain clinic.
I have learned that all the soft tissues can be traumatized and get inflamed, even though the bones are fine and the implants are where they should be. In my thread I talk about the inflammation.
Pool walking has helped.
Keep us posted.

I’m sorry to hear you are still having problems with your knee. I had a revision done of my first knee replacement due to pain. I was lucky to find an OS who likes to fix other OS problems. He takes pride in finding out why there was pain and then what could be done about it. My original OS told me everything was fine in the xrays. My knee cap was tracking to the side of my knee and that was what was causing my pain. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem. You definitely aren’t too old!

Thread title : Revision : TKR February 27th 2020

Well, after almost 4 years, finally found a doctor willing to look more in depth at my TKR from 2016. I don’t feel it ever healed right.
The pain doctor did a bone scan, that he looked at, and said I needed a revision. It was loose. My first follow up is tomorrow, I may ask for more detail.
I’m doing much better this time around, although it’s been just two weeks. Besides obvious issues, pain, swelling, ect. how do I get back some energy ?
I just walk around the house, maybe stand still to grab something to eat, cook a light meal. Anyway, fatigues next so much, I have to sit down. Uggh
I want to walk outside a bit, but guess I can’t. Any vitamins or something will help ?
I’m told I’m doing better than expected.

Protein is supposed to help with healing. A multi-vitamin would probably help, too. Check with your doctor first, though.

Welcome back to Recovery!

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you. This will be very helpful, as it’s been awhile, and I definitely could use a refresher !

And I did request a title change for you. A moderator will do that for you.

I’m wondering about continuing to use my walker, starting 3 weeks post op.
It seems to help with the pain as I step on my knee with my weight. Not meaning to push things, (although I’m anxious to get better), but I’m afraid I’m going to get too dependent on my walker, and not advance to cane. I tried, and, yes.....it hurts some.
I ice, elevate, rest, all day long.
In the timeline from my surgeons office, it said I should be able to walk 1/4 mile weeks 2-4. I think that is a joke, except I’ve seen people walking down the street like at week one.
Thoughts ?
TIA

Bengalady,
Every recovery is different, try not to compare yourself to other people are appear to be doing well.
Right now at 3 weeks you are fine continuing with your walker, your knee needs the time to heal.

You will not get too dependent on your walker, as you heal, you will just forget it and start walking around your house with out any device. :shocked:
After my revision (I was a little further along than you are now) I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and could not find my cane to go back to bed, Yikes, I ended up cruising along the wall, even though I apparently walked there with no problem.

I should be able to walk 1/4 mile weeks 2-4. I think that is a joke, except I’ve seen people walking down the street like at week one.
What you are not seeing is how they are doing once they get home, my best guess it they are in pain, icing, and elevating. :elevate:

Thank you, my home physical therapist did say she is worried I’m going to do too much. This revision is going much better than my first one, so I’m excited for end result.
I used my cane this morning. I think I’ll use it, as long as not too much pain......if so, I’ll use the walker.
But, yes.....am worried about being dependent on it too long. I’ll try to remember that I won’t.
(Hah, the mind is so powerful though).

Use the walker until you start walking around without remembering to get it. Don't force leaving it too soon. All the walker is doing is helping you to safely heal. As your knee gets stronger and more stable you will naturally start leaving the walker. I used mine for a few weeks in the house and then at least 6 weeks or more when out in public. Didn't want the chance of being knocked down.

I need some help on trying to figure out what I did wrong. I’m in pain today, and I have been doing better than expected this far. I had physical therapy at home yesterday, stretching, and we went for a short walk, started working on steps. Always hurts awhile afterwards, but after ice, elevate......I felt better. I relaxed on recliner couple hours and was too tired to do more. Thought I sat too long, as I was hurting, but tolerable. Ok, so today, took shower, and I had to run an errand....drove, had to stand awhile. I brought ice pack and used while I was driving (20 minute ride).
Came home, elevate, ice, took some Motrin, hurting some, but tolerable. I thought, better get exercises in. Did one set. Then remembered from previously......the therapist now, did not stress importance of knee slides, bends....whatever they’re called. So, although painful, I pushed myself to do them. I couldn’t go for the walk I wanted, nor do more exercises.....and pretty much sat in recliner 2-3 hrs. Ok, bedtime, now I am in pain, swelling.....well.....not so well today. Btw, I just take Motrin, the narcotics got me so sick, landed up in hospital again. Anyway, I did take 1/2 of OxyContin.
Sorry I’m rambling, I’m so confused......maybe it was the outing ? (First time), did I push too much ? Or was I sitting too long, didn’t do enough ? Uuggh. Hoping tomorrow better day.

PS: I should be reading the recommended articles, I probably did too much ?

Yes, you did too much. Never mind - learning how much is too much is often a process of trial and error.

Make up for it now by doing lots of rest, icing and elevation.

However, never, ever, do exercises that hurt. Doing that just keeps your knee irritated and upset.

In any case, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will gradually increase, whether you do formal exercises or just let your daily activities of living be your exercise.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I agree with Celle, that was a lot of activities. On days you have to go out, that is equal to the exercises you do, it’s the same movements, so no need to do the reps of exercises also that day.

I also agree, don’t do any exercise that causes you pain.

Thank you, I’ll keep this in mind, and rest today....tomorrow if need be. Interesting, on the home healths care plan, they told me goal is 113. I laughed and told them I don’t think I’ve EVER been at 113. Last they checked, was 102........however, they kept telling me to push back further, further.....uggh.

There is no need to push back further and further. Especially at only 1 month post op. You will regain your ROM as your swelling goes down and as you heal.

The Bonesmart approach is the most common sense approach out there.

maybe it was the outing ? (First time), did I push too much ? Or was I sitting too long, didn’t do enough?
Yes, you pushed too much and your knee wasn't ready for all this activity. You should try adding in one different thing and do nothing else but your daily activities. Then, wait and see how your knee reacts. If it's OK, then it's ready for that activity. If it swells and is in pain, it was too early to do that. It's a learning experience...trial and error.
however, they kept telling me to push back further, further.....uggh.
Nope, I have to disagree. If you push it further, you're doing more harm to your bend than help. Easy does it wins this recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom