Revised PKR to TKR Revision TKR 2nd time Lucky

Wow@ 4 weeks I still had to sit to shower. And walk to the buss stop and around the mall!! Wtg! That amazes me! :wow:

I feel blessed with the healing I am getting this time round. I could stand to shower after 1 week @Jolease and walk around the house without aids and no limp at just over 2 weeks. The knee and leg feel strong, the zingers have now disappeared,I just still have tenderness in the quad muscle and the ITBand lets me know it is there on occasions. However yesterday was another I'm fed up, bored, don't know where to put my leg coz it aches and feels like a lead weight sort of day, where I ate!!!! and felt sorry for myself instead of counting blessings.

This weekend coming I am on my own from Friday to Tuesday as hubby is on as boys weekend away to the lake district. My adventure will be on Monday as at 5 weeks post op I intend to go to the theatre in London to see Hamilton with my daughter (I got tickets at Christmas when they were released, and before I knew I was having op) and they have very strict admission rules to prevent ticket touts. I have to collect with my card I made payment with and photo id. I will be making use of Black cabs I think.

It's sounds like you are doing great! Enjoy Hamilton, it's the best! I live in NYC, but my sister lives in London, so I saw it there. It's a wonderful production. You'll love it! I'm 4 week post op today, and doing well. I'm back at work and PT is good. At my desk at work right now, with my ice pack strapped on with Velcro! Hoping to have a summer of PT and building my strength and mobility back up. Heading to London at the end of August then to Provence. I've been on Coumadin since I had a blood clot 4 years ago, and I come off it in a week. Can't wait for a nice glass of wine once I'm cleared. All the best to you!

Lisabl: Wow! I am really impressed that you are going to the theatre five weeks post op. Have a wonderful weekend. You're are inspiring me as I too have a valgus knee that is having surgery June 26th. Had left knee done almost three years ago and I am really more nervous this time around. Hope I do as well as you are doing at 5 weeks. Have a great time!! Thx for posting. Lucy

Week 5 Complete

Only a couple of visits to ODIC, which I blamed on feeling isolated, missing the ability to jump in car and escape from house, and living in a village with limited public transport.

The muscle spasms have ceased this week making my thighs/quads so much more comfortable. I roll my ITBand as soon as I get any tenderness at the hip or mid thigh, and also zingers have noticably reduced to a very occassional ping now (usually when I have put fresh iceblock in cryocuff bucket).

Still around 5-6hrs broken sleep of night, with upto 4hrs in any one block of sleep, using cryocuff all night with motorised lid meaning constant flow of cold water (lasts 4-5hrs cold to cool). Also mainly sleeping on recliner with occasional forays into bed but I struggle with 2hrs max there at the moment.

My theatre trip with my daughter was a real treat, and although I was away from my recliner for 7hrs, with the help of Chiltern Railways (and their electric golf buggy at Marylebone Station), London Black TaxiCabs and the staff at the Victoria Palace Theatre (who let me skip queues, I had an aisle seat where I put my little camp stool up to test my leg on with ice packs, an allocated assistant to help at the interval and end of performance not getting crushed by people), and an accommodating husband picking us up at midnight from the local train station. Alround excellent evening out without to much strain on my baby knee.

Rested yesterday and today.

Working my way through boxsets of Lucifer (Amazon prime), The Rookie and Magnum Pi (Sky) and just started Macgyver and season 12 of Murdoch Mysteries.

Glad to hear you had such a good time and that the staff at the Victoria Palace was so accommodating. What did you think of Hamilton? I loved it.

@RAD my daughter has been raving about it for over a year, constantly playing soundtrack and got me to watch a storyboard anime on Youtube of the production, so I felt I knew what it was all about, considering I am a Brit and knew relatively little of early US constitutional history. Loved the staging of the performance, love hip hop music anyway and the light comic relief of King George had the whole audience in stitches (he also kept randomly appearing to 'watch the procedings' when he should have been offstage - a bit of a prankster I think. Bought tickets before I knew I was having the op to celebrate my daughter finishing her degree.

So glad you had a great time! King George is so much fun!

Sounds like that was a great outing! I have a stay with friends in Cumbria to look forward to, in August. Thanks for the info re the cryocuff, not tried with water bottles yet.

@Lucy1 I have put a scar picture in the scars thread from today. You can see the surgeon matched the valgus angle for my new right knee the same as my very slightly valgus left knee, so that I would feel balanced and not put too much pressure on hips during recuperation.

Lisabl: Thanks for posting. Knee looks great for just 5 weeks. Glad you are doing so well. I can't wait to have two straight legs for the first time in my life. I may even buy some flowered leggings one day! L

Just back from 5½ week PT session (once a week PT) and have 120° flex and 0° ext. The PT used ultrasound on the area of knee where the quad attaches as it was a solid tight muscle with swelling, and I am back home icing and elevating.

I also saw the surgeon who was very happy with my progress. He has said I am ok to swim :swim:and drive:driver: and to start pushing myself on walking when I am ready as everything looks good structurally and functionally.

That is an awesome report!

Tried to sleep back in bed last night (after 4 days in recliner), slept okish but woke up this morning with such a stiff leg, which I just don't get on the recliner. Sitting back downstairs with leg iced again.

Taking each day as it comes...but yesterday was a good one.

Just back from 5½ week PT session. I also saw the surgeon who was very happy with my progress. He has said I am ok to .... start pushing myself on walking
I wouldn't recommend that this early.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@Josephine I am fine and happy with progress. When I say push myself that will not be much beyond your recommendations. I am going to use waterproof dressing when swimming (although wound healing with no open areas or scabs) and I dont use my legs just upper body doing front crawl.

@marieltha have you thought of getting a motorised lid for the aircast bucket? I love mine. Fill it with water and a frozen 1pint water bottle and it stays chilled for about 4hrs. I put the bucket on the floor and the motorised system pushes the cold water into the cuff for 90 seconds and in the off 30seconds the water drains from the cuff back in bucket ready for chilled water to be pushed back.

Great idea! I will look that up today! Aircast rep directed me to betterbraces.com as their authorized distributor to individuals/patients. Prices and service were very good and much better than worrying about/dealing w third party vendors on Amazon.
I assume you have one and like it? Where did you buy yours?

Sorry/-you did say you have one and like it. Today is the day I am stopping tramadol and norco . Down to 1/2 of each once per day. Look forward to thinking clearly soon.

@marieltha Living in UK I got mine from a physio supplier. It cost me £79 including power supply. I guess US cost comparable.

I used gravity last year and have found this so much better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie