BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Revision TKR 2nd time Lucky

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by lisabl, May 5, 2019.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    My blood pressure was low the first 24 hours, also.

2. lisabl

lisabl junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    End of day 2 and promoted to crutches with walking corridor and stairs very slowly. Leg swelling as not elevated in hospital, although cryocuff in use. 85° flex and +5° ext and happy considering the swelling. Absolutely shattered all day though, but understand that might be the heavy dose oxycodene.

3. Jockette

:console2:
    Your body has been through a traumatic experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lisabl

lisabl junior member

Was let out of hospital lunchtime day 3 following good reports from hydro PT. Loved the pool and the freedom it gave my knee doing gentle exercise in the water. At home hubby started looking after me, and I slept on couch with lounge doctor for a couple of hrs, using cryo cuff the whole time. So at bedtime thought...hey I have slept the last 3 nights in a hospital bed so should be ok in spare bed with extra pillows...wrong. Did not factor in meds slightly different at home without knockout drops (oxycodone) being changed to codeine. So up every hr going to toilet, juggling crutches and back in bed using leg lifter (no easy button to press to change height of bed). By morning more shattered, although knee not really hurting just thigh ache and muscle weakness.

Day 4 resting, icing and elevating and not much more, with sleeping on recliner much better, more comfortable and waking up every 2-3hrs for toilet or meds.

Day 5 (today), woke at 6.30am to take meds and knee surprisingly pain free, just a little stiff. Normal rest,Cryocuff, elevating etc, and decided to try out walking sticks instead of crutches. Coped quite well and had first shower out of hospital- lovely....clean hair... even better. Then oh dear laxative meds given in hospital kicked in...say no more.

On feet a bit more today helping prep lunch, cup of tea etc. Whilst elevating tonight I got really bad thigh spasms down upper leg together with zingers on the knee, so took cryocuff off and put heat pad on thigh which seemed to help with spasms.

Back on recliner tonight, with knee pain hypnosis audio book to help me get off to sleep. Lets hope tomorrow is as good as today.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  5. Jockette

You have a great attitude, I’m glad you’re doing well.

6. lisabl

lisabl junior member

Thank you @Jockette After the problems 1st time round I am determined to give my baby knee all the tlc it needs to recover as quickly as it is able. Following the BoneSmart way, taking things very slowly with excercise. My next Hydro PT session is next Thursday (day 10) so no pressure there for an intensive exercise regimen to push ROM. It will be interesting to see my numbets tho as I think I am close to 90 and 0 at the moment.

7. Jockette

I’m really surprised they have you in the pool already. Did I understand you had that in the hospital?

I had pool therapy at 4 weeks and it was awful. 50 minutes and way too many bending exercises. It took me 3 days of increased pain to recover.

I’m glad you’re taking things slower this time. I will, too, if/when I have my current partial revised. It’s probably inevitable, but so far no one has offered it. I’m managing, for now.

8. lisabl

lisabl junior member

@Jockette my operation was done in a uk private hospital (not nhs) as my hubby has excellent private heath insurance cover with his work and he pays for the family premium. Healthcare is so different in the uk with the split nhs/private system. Better nursing ratios all round, and really good facilities.

The private hospital I stayed in had a hydro pool which all inpatients could access 1 PT session before discharge, and I have 2 more weekly sessions booked before landside PT starts. They have a policy of 3 patients in the pool at any time with 1 PT. We were a mixture of hips and knees at different stages and all exercises were slow and gentle to aid joint mobility. I did 4 exercises in the half hr session. Calf stretches on tip toes and down, Knee Raises, Quad/Glute stretch with a gentle squat, slow cycle - about 5/10 reps each. No pressure to raise higher or sit lower or rotate faster, all at my own pace.

9. lisabl

lisabl junior member

WEEK 1 complete. In last couple of days not much pain as such but aching muscles and 'toothachy' style constant low level "Hi I'm still here" ache on the knee joint. Moderate swelling on over large legs means my extension ok and can walk with single stick no problem, but struggling to bend much as really tight skin to the right of the dressing doesn't want to stretch much. Resting and icing, but again compression with cryo cuff really uncomfortable where the staples are and the feel like they are pulling.

Day 7- I went for a 15min car journey (hubby driving) to local grocery store, walked around to get nice meals for next few days for about 10 mins,, then home in car. After lunch and meds I fell asleep for 2hrs with leg elevated and iced. Good Day. Sunshine and warm spring weather helped.

Day 8 (today) on my own for first significant time as hubby at work (not working from home) and it's peaceful and restful. Putting washing in tumble dryer will be the limit of my housework today.

WEEK 2 challenges include next Hydrophysio session, and stitches out. Maybe a visit to a church cafe to meet up with some friends (a friend said she was happy to play tax)i. Also thought I might start reducing codeine by 1 x 30mg tab at lunch, and 1 x 200mg Ibuprofen at breakfast.

• Like Like x 1