BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Revision time...

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by KneeAware, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi...it’s been a while since I’ve posted here..

Something has cropped up with my left knee...it’s been going pretty good with it since the revision in August 2016 but the past three weeks or so I’ve been getting some very sharp stabbing pains on the anterior side and just under the patella. It happens sometimes when I am putting pressure on it from walking, no matter the surface. I never know when it’s going to happen but when it does it’s a very sharp stabbing pain that’s an immediate 10/10. Then it’ll happen with every step for a while, it stops when it stops sort of thing.

I’m going for another surgery on my right knee soon to have the patella resurfaced, some adhesions removed and a possible femoral joint replacement.

This with the left knee has me worried for the reason it’s not getting any less frequent and with the upcoming surgery. My surgeon told me he is done with my left knee, he’s not doing anything else with it.

Anyways, any suggestions as to what anyone thinks is going on will be appreciated.

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    KneeAware,
    Let me tag @Josephine to address your concerns.
    Sorry to hear your left knee is giving you trouble.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    HI there @KneeAware - happy to see you again. I can give you a possible reason for your pain which is this

Prior to my surgery I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as an occasional 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week, once it lasted two weeks, but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.

Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step as you can see here

ai64.tinypic.com_wb2fr6.jpg

It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a craggy, rough edged bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this excruciatingly horrible pain that all of a sudden goes away!

[​IMG]

It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.

I suppose I had about 6 such episodes in the year leading to my surgery and like you, sitting in the pre-op, perfectly able to walk around without any problems, felt more than foolish! So when my surgeon came to check me over, I sheepishly asked if this surgery was really necessary and wasn't I just wasting everyone's time! (do remember that this was a department I'd worked in for a number of years and I'd worked with this surgeon as well!) But in a very avuncular way, he patted my arm and just said in a reassuring tone "Well let's just say it isn't going to get any better"! I took his point and went ahead with the procedure!

I suggest you do the same! After all, you don't want to have more of these crippling episodes, do you? And you will, and they will get worse and worse

4. Momma-me

Momma-me member

I am so sorry you are going through this. I truly hope you get answers soon!

5. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Josephine
    I’ve have a total knee replacement in that knee and the patella resurfaced, could it still be arthritis? I didn’t have any (arthritis) to begin with, I’ve had the TKRs because of injuries to me knees.

I have a long stem in the tibia, so it shouldn’t be loosening but the pain is reminiscent of that I had when it loosened in 2013.

The OS told me he’s not going to do anything else with this knee so I don’t see the point in making an appointment to go see him about it.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I appreciate it. :)

6. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Pumpkln

Thank you...it’s crazy stuff when the knees aren’t working properly.
    Hoping this turns out to be “just one of those things”.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Momma-me
    Thank you!
    I read a little of your journey with your knees, it’s difficult when they take over your life. I hope you continue with the great recovery and the awesome PT.

8. eelainea65

eelainea65 junior member

Haven’t noticed a whole lot of discussion on post-TKR patella resurfacing. It is my understanding that the procedure is still controversial, especially in the US. Though done routinely in 90% of original TKRs, my surgeon chose to leave mine alone. *face palm* Fast forward a year and a half, anterior knee pain and swelling had me scrambling for answers. I’m one week out now from a revision (chose a different surgeon after *many* second opinions) and am looking to have the other redone in about three months.
    Wondering if you might share why your patella(s) were not initially resurfaced and whether it was determined to be the cause of your recent pain?
    Much appreciation and wishes for a successful recovery!
    Elaine

9. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @eelainea65, the reason I had the patella resurfaced this time was because it wasn’t tracking properly and also I injured it last year. I also has adhesions removed this time.
    Thanks, I had the surgery almost two weeks ago (May 1st) and I’m doing well.

10. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you're doing well. Long may it continue!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    A09681FA-1006-4AFD-B2CE-6ECD5577DFA4.jpeg I was very lucky this time around with very little bruising and things. This is my incision 4 days post op.

12. jboles

jboles graduate

Looks good. With a lot of staples thought.

13. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @jboles Yeah, I think there are close to 40 of them...it’s the longest incision I’ve ever had I think! Tomorrow is staple removal day. Fun! Fun! It’s the day I dread the most of this whole process!

14. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I felt so much better once my staples were out. I bet you'll feel better, too.

15. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thinking of you today, and hoping the staple removal goes well. :friends:

16. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @sistersinhim It will feel better once the stinging feeling dissipates but it is feeling better when I bend my knee. :)

@Celle I was kinda sick during the staple removal and felt over half of the 43 of them coming out. But it’s done now and the incision is healing really well. I’m sure this nauseous feeling will leave soon and I will feel the relief at having them out. :) :-) (:

17. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry you felt sick, but the job's done now, so you don'y have to dread that any more.
    :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  18. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Celle That’s right, I don’t have to dread this anymore. Now it’s to move forward and get this knee feeling good.

19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had 35 staples and 34 of them hurt when removed. I'm glad yours are out now and you can move on forward with your healing.

20. KneeAware

KneeAware post-grad

Canada Canada
    So recovery and rehab have been going well but I’ve hit a bump in the road. When I bend my knee to stand from a sitting position or I bend a little when I’m standing and happen to lean a little into it, feels like there is something stabbing into my knee. Pain is off the charts when this happens (and it is happening every time I do this), I have no clue what’s causing it? My incision looks good and there’s nothing I can see there that may be causing this.