Revision TKR Revision: Second Time Is the Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am angry that the Drs. Did no testing for allergies before my replacement . To me that seems wrong .

Here's my 3 month update: Had 2nd post op with surgeon last week and he remains cautiously optimistic that the Revision is a success! He is concerned with the extent of swelling and heat above the kneecap but considers this acceptable at this stage of revision recovery. If at 6 months knee is still hot and inflamed, he will aspirate. His recommendation is to continue icing and elevating (as I do 3xs/day), discontinue use of bicycle and elliptical, walk short distances to build back quad strength and wear a neoprene sleeve. I am discouraged but trying to put off my pity party for 6 month check up. I had so hoped to be back to a more normal schedule by now. And my beautiful bike is growing cobwebs in the garage!!! My exercise routine prior to checkup had been 30 minutes on stationary bike or elliptical followed by quad work and stretching developed by my PT 4 days/week. So I certainly wasn't over doing it! My ROM and extension continue to be outstanding so I have that on my side. As for pain, stairs are not my friend and knee gets tender sore after use. Alleve and Tylenol seem to do the trick. So it's back to rest and relaxation for me which is trying my patience. On a positive note is how wonderful my revision surgeon is. I knew going into this that his credentials were awesome. And he's kind and nice too! Thanks all for listening! TKRs are a hell of a thing!
@busylizzie less than 3 weeks to go! I've marked my calendar and will watch for your posts!

That is an excellent report for 3 months out of a revision! Remember, we tell folks that even on a primary knee it's usually 6 months or more before they begin to feel normal again. You may not think your exercise program was too much, but we normally tell people to wait until at least the 6 month point for the elliptical machine. Unlike the stationary bike, it puts a lot more stress on your knee and certainly could be contributing to the inflammation you're experiencing above the kneecap. You'll know for sure if that improves once you've been off the exercise for a week or so.

I know it's hard to be patient with a second recovery period, but you're doing so well. Try to think of those good days that are coming!!! It will be worth the tender loving care you must give your knee right now. Please continue to let us know how things are going!!!

Great update! Jamie has given you great advice. I was also advised against using the elliptical. I will keep you in my prayers that your recovery goes well and you continue to see progress.

@Jamie you are the wonderful voice of reason. Thank you! I think I would like to spend some time in Kansas. Years ago as a young professional I visited Kansas frequently and loved the region. I actually considered relocating but my die hard NY family wouldn't hear of it. @Jozilla thanks for checking in. As always, you are so supportive!

Hi Spinfanatic, your OS no longer takes Medicare. No one that does revisions will see me until the one year mark. I did see my OS and he is concerned about the increase in pain, does not feel it's infected but did draw fluid from my knee, ordered blood work. He will call when he gets the results back. He recommended the the blood tests for metal allergies but need to wait until the year mark thinks patch testing is a waste of time. Says he has done more revisions for smith & nephew's ceramic knee and said it would be better to live with it! He was insulted that I asked how many revisions he does! At least I will have it checked for infection. Glad to see you are doing well. Best to take it easy to give your knee time to heal. I am still icing several times a day, still with pain. Hip pain due to blower back, seeing my chiropractor 3 times a week. It is getting better, I no longer cry with the hip pain! Keep up the god work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom