Revision of 3½ year old TKR**

It might not be what you're looking for, and that's okay, but for me it was perfect every time.

:wave:
So happy to hear you got your date @Josephine
:egypdance:

It all started last summer when I started getting aches and pains just below the joint.
my knee continues to be painful but the curiousity of it is that it's not painful when I'm walking, doing stairs or anything like that. It hurts most when I'm laying on the settee! Go figure that!
@Josephine, I am so sorry to hear you will have to join the revision club! Mentally, I know you are prepared to have the revision behind you. September 6th will be here before you know it. Your BoneSmart family loves you and will be glued to your posts and updates.

I am just 9½ months post revision and still have aches (not so much pain) in my knee....it feels swollen on the inside, not so much on the outside. I notice it more when I am resting or trying to sleep too. I see my knee OS this coming Tuesday, July 16th for routine xrays/follow up. I never thought my other knee had a problem but he is going to x-ray it too because it aches too. I tend to hyperextend that knee and I am sure it has compensated for the other knee.

I think they should go out of their way to work you in anytime you need to see the OS. You are a very important person/VIP in this BoneSmart community!!! :friends: :console2:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.

@Cementless I do get fitted in any time if it's just a regular appointment. I'm an ex member of staff, you see!

Sorry to hear you have to have a revision on your knee Josephine. ... that’s very bad luck..

I dropped into the Knee section from the Hip one as I have to see surgeon in August about possible TKR & didn’t expect to see your news.

Hoping the pain isn’t too bad at the moment .

I’m using a leg brace when I go walking & it does help in the sense I feel more secure... only a Boots one...

Take care.. Chrissie x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry you need a revision but glad your date is nearly here! Did anyone suggest any reason for the tibial plate loosening, or is it just one of those rare unlucky things??

Just an unlucky happenstance.

Let me update my bucket list

1. Ice bucket and cuffs - got them
2. leg lifter - got to make one of those because the current models are uber horrible!
3. clear out the freezer to make room for the ice bottles
4. book a care assistant to come and help me shower and stuff
5. hire a recliner chair
6. get a 'protrusion' at the end of my fireplace removed to make room for the above. Got a nice builder chappie who installed my georgeous shower and he took it out for free! I had to dispose of the rubble, though but, and got a nice sample of carpet to fit in the gap left!
7. rent a care alarm
10.​

Meant to add last Friday 7 weeks to go!

The time will fly by as busy as you always seem to be, Jo. I'm not sure what kind of leg lifter you like, but what about a long piece of soft cloth (something with a little weight to it so you can toss it), knotted on both ends? I really preferred that type over the single handed loop type I've seen others use as it it easier, IME, to simply hold the knotted ends in each hand and lightly toss it over the foot and lift with both hands instead of just one hand. Everyone is different so you may prefer the looped-end one handed type, but try it with a regular long scarf as an example and see how you like it; you may be surprised; or you may not like it, but it never hurts to try something new.

I had a really good one but sadly gave it to my sister and she gave it away to someone else! It was made of about 2½" webbing with a loop at each end but the entire thing as stiff and so I could just hold it out and drop ot over my foot. I tried the cloth belt but I'm no cowgirl and couldn't lasso anything if my life depended upon it! But now the leg-lifters are made of soft webbing with a thin wire stitched into it and it's not the same at all. I bought about 4 of them from different places and they all ended up in the charity shop! But thank you for trying to help. It's appreciated.

Today I went to a better podiatrist to see if I could get some advice about the soreness and sensitivity on the balls of my feet. She told me the fat pad that should be on the balls of my feet was almost non-existant and I needed some better quality shoes with thicker rubber soles to absorb the impact when I walked. Trouble is, those kinds of shoes are horrible and make me feel like the fat old granny I am! Slippers and shoes like this - horrible, aren't they?

slippers.JPG

I don't think those shoes are horrible at all. I gave up on fancy high heels and adorable shoes years ago in favor of comfort and safety. I do find some cute shoes that meet that criteria, but generally only find clod-hoppers. But, I care more about function than looks these days so I just deal with them. :sigh:

You don't really lasso your foot, rather you use both hands on the ends to kind of easily toss it in the general direction of your foot, then just pull it up to the bottom of your foot and lift. It's surprisingly simple; it's harder to describe than do......:heehee:

Add me to the camp that had to go with comfort shoes. :( I even have to wear padded slippers in the house what with the tendonitis and decreasing fat pads. If only I could transplant the fat from elsewhere to the bottom of my feet they'd be really cushioned. :rotfl:
But those slippers are a cute color, Josephine.

I have to wear comfort shoes with inbuilt support. My knees are fixed, but I have arthritis in my feet and ankles.

My shoes are usually Mary Jane style.
My slippers look just like your picture, Josephine, only they're black.

I don't think those shoes look like granny shoes. For one thing, they are a pretty color! Now these are my idea of what granny shoes look like.

Your shoes look pretty and comfy. I do not have the foot pad problem, but after one miserable episode of plantar fasciitis back in 2001, I wear shoes for comfort and support, not for style. I know what shoes work for me, and at my age, who cares if I'm stylish as long as my feet feel good. :ok: I admit that I have been wearing non-skid "hospital socks" instead of shoes around the house lately.

Josephine, like others I am so sorry you have to have a revision but happy for you that you have a date for it. I don't have any ideas for the foot lifter. I bought one that I found on Amazon, which feels like a metal loop covered with canvas, not at all ideal.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 171
@Josephine, have you heard of Dr. Comfort shoes? (www.drcomfort.com)
I wear these all the time and they do provide support.

1.jpg

another shoe with more support

2.jpg

The red sandal/Flip-Flop is called Shannon, the brown slip on/slide is called Kelly.

3.jpg

Here is another one I have not tried but you might like called Annie:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom