Revision of 3½ year old TKR**

Ooh, I hope you don't have to wait that long. I was the other way, thought it would be 6 months and it was only 2! Fingers crossed that will be the same for you.

Oh, Jo, I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry to see you having to go through this all over again. However, I am really glad your aspiration was pain-free. When I had mine it was one of the most excruciatingly painful things ever; so much so that when my OS wanted to repeat it at a later date, I refused. I, too, was fine after the procedure, but during it my poor daughter had her hand gripped and squeezed so hard she lost all feeling in it for a time afterwards.....:snork:

I don't remember if you've had any revisions in the past, but I do know that mine has worked well to date (except for the pain from the tip of the posts, which I was told most people don't experience) and I have a shiny new gold knee that isn't loose. My OS did tell me recently that they do see more of this tip pain from the Aesculup gold knee than others for some reason, so that's something to think about. I really understand what you're going through, as do most here, and am wishing you a speedy date, an easy surgery and a smooth and easy recovery.

After my knee was aspirated (there was 60 cc in there!), I decided to tentatively conclude I had infection, that way I wouldn't be disappointed if it was infected. Luckily I only had to wait 5 days to hear back that it was fine, and I heard nothing after the 14 day culture.

Fingers crossed you don't encounter much delay.

I had a very encouraging letter from my lovely Shaun today. It said

"I am glad to be able to tell you that your aspirate is entirely normal with no evidence of infection. Your CRP is also normal at 2.1. I am therefore happy to say that the suspected loosening of the tibial plate is an aseptic loosening and I can put you on the waiting list for revision of this left knee. If at this time we can get away with just revising the tibial plate then we will but our plan should be to carry out a full revision if deemed necessary."

Nice to get letters from your surgeon, eh?

Uk! 4 months since I last posted in this thread! But I have GOOD NEWS! I rang Stacey this morning and she'd just given me a date: September 6th! Whoopee! Only 8 weeks to go.

Got to get planning. Let's see:
1. Ice bucket and cuffs - got them
2. leg lifter - got to make one of those because the current models are uber horrible!
3. clear out the freezer to make room for the ice bottles (remember to get some small bottles!)
4. book care assistant to come and help me shower and stuff​

I think that'll do for now.

Wow - such good news Jo! Wait lists in the UK are a nightmare! Glad someone is looking out for you.

Best of the best good wishes! :loveshwr:

Jo, sorry that you have to have the revision, but glad that it is happening sooner than later!

Happy to hear you finally have a date for your revision, and are well on your way preparing for recovery.

:yay: for getting a date! Not happy that you have to go through it again, but happy that it will soon be here and you'll be on your way to good knees again.

A sensible person added TV series to my pre-op list. Made me realise I hadn't focused on some things! I would add powered recliner if possible and forget making the leg lifter. Life's too short. Buy an ugly one and sell it afterwards? Or decorate it!

Forget the leg lifter? Heaven forfend! THE most useful item I ever had. But leg lifters now are tubular straps with a thin wire in it. Really painful to latch round your foot! That's why I'm going to make my own!

I'm glad to hear you finally have a date for your revision, Josephine.

I bought one I thought wire. It was made of a flat webbing/packaging type material. Had a padded hand hold and a loop at the other end. Not uncomfortable at all but definitely ugly. And a very hideous yellow colour. I sold it online afterwards and it was surprisingly popular!

@Josephine Our hospital PT staff makes leg lifters from what I think is the fabric tubes they use before they put on casts. It's cut long and then they tie each end in a knot. I think it works wonderfully well and is a little stretchy so doesn't hurt your foot when you lift. All you have to do is toss it under your foot when lying down or seated and lift away. It's easy to do and works perfectly.

I wish I knew exactly what product you were referring to! Can you find details?

Really? Don't think that's quite what I had in mind! I'll post a photo when I'm done

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back