BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Revision nerves

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by lisabl, May 6, 2019.

1. lisabl

lisabl member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Having had a medial PKR done last May, and having had the lateral side flare with Rheumatoid Arthritis and degrade, I am getting really nervous :yikes: about the TKR I am going to have on 13th May. The OS doing the op (a second opinion as I lost all faith in the chap who did the PKR), says I am an 'interesting case', and the op will be 'complicated' as I have a valgus knee, and the previous OS had severely trimmed the bone to fit the prosthetic.

I know I need the op as I am rapidly losing mobility, my right quad is very week, and I am not getting much sleep. But the more nervous I get the less sleep I get aswell.

:tiredwheel:
    sorry to vent.

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Vent all you want to, we’re here to listen and support.

We are all nervous/anxious about this surgery, and when it’s a revision, more so.

3. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was very nervous about revision because of my previous bad experiences, but it turned out to be a walk in the park. The revisionist surgeons can do wonders with a troubled knee.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Well here is an interesting factoid for you to consider - physiologically, there is practically no difference between nervousness (or anxiety) and excitement. So try to change your thinking to "Excitement" and you'll probably crack it!
    Another truism to bear in mind is that when a surgeon says the op will be 'complicated' he means it will be for HIM! For you it will be very okay and not make a scrap of difference to your recovery!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Momma-me

Momma-me member

I understand how you feel exactly! I just had a revision done one week ago. My last two surgeries were brutal, in which I never really recovered. I only had those experiences to draw from when I would think about this next surgery and I was so frightened about the unknown and what to expect. My surgeon told me that whatever happened in the past, has no bearing on what is going to happen in the future. That every time, every surgery and every surgeon's expertise is different and not to compare one to the other. It actually helped me a lot and gave me some extra faith and a little more positivity.
    I can tell you though, I walked today (with my walker of course) and put almost full body weight on my new knee, which I never could do after the other surgeries for many, many, many months!
    So, what do you have to lose?? :tada:
    Might it not work out? I suppose so.
    But.... what if it is exactly the answer you have been praying for and you can finally go back to the life you had always dreamed of living!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lisabl

lisabl member

Thank you @Momma-me for your comments. I have read some of your posts in the rcovery area and it gives me hope. I have also just spent a little on recovery items like a lounge doctor (I used a home made one last year that didn't help in bed but did on the recliner, but I foolishly threw it away about 6 months ago when I thought I no longer needed it!!!), and a motorised pump for my CryoCuff ice bucket (so I dont have to keep taking it off to drain and put more ice water in it). The aim being to give me every chance of quickly getting the swelling down to aid recovery.

I found this site about 2 months after the 1st surgery and after intensive PT and even walking to bus stop, and getting bus to church and back 2 weeks after surgery :hiking:
    My hubby was away on a boys walking weeking and I wanted to get out of the house, having been on my own for 2 days.

None of that this time....rest

7. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I understand your apprehension-I had a revision a year ago next month. Knowing what it entailed, for me, was the hardest part pre-op. It took me something like 2 years (or maybe even more!) to agree to one, but I finally did and it's behind me now. And for the revision I went back to my original doctor as he's an amazing doctor. I had a much easier recovery this time; I had absolutely no bruising, no sleepless nights, no pain (I had an epidural in the hospital and a pain ball for a bit at home. The only real pain I had was when the first one emptied and I had to get it replaced and that was just for a short time), and after the pain ball was finished I was next door to pain-free. I can't take pain meds, so it was a miracle that at two weeks I had very little to no pain. The only problem I had was with the post tip a while later, and that is still ongoing, but I'm a rare being as most only have that pain for a short time, if at all.

I sailed through the recovery so well that I was literally bored out of my gourd from day one, but it sure beat the alternative. Most people won't have the recovery I did, but I believe it was a gift after the horrible recoveries I'd always had before. I say all this so you know every surgery and recovery is different, and this could not only be an easier recovery for you, it may be just what your knee needs to shape up and behave.

The LD for elevation is wonderful, as is an ice machine. Spend as many hours a day using them both as you possibly can, plus all night long; just don't forget to get up and walk around also.

8. lisabl

lisabl member

It's good to hear other revision stories @lovetocookandsew I think you have hit the nail on the head with the ice machine....it could be easy to not get up and walk about as too much effort if comfortable with iced leg and lounge dr. If I drink lots of water it might force me to get up every 45mins...ha ha..

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My revision was a walk in the park. Remember how you wondered if this pain and that sensation was normal the first time around? Well, when you go through it again, you'll just yawn. And because my revision surgeon was so much more skilled than my first surgeon, the results were much better. I literally have not had one bad day.

• Like Like x 2