Revision TKR Revision lefty's Pre-Op Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @Revision lefty - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your first knee replacement , so we can add that to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Can you tell us why your TKR needs to be revised?

Is the same surgeon doing your revision as did your initial knee replacement?

I know it's scary, but do try not to worry too much about the revision. I had to have my first knee replacement revised. The surgery and recovery were no worse than my initial surgery and the result has been excellent. My revised knee is great now.

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

My knee needs to be revised because it is grossly unstable. I had the original done August 2014, and it never felt good. I went to the surgeon at my one year check up and told the Dr. I had a lot of pain swelling, movement and he ordered a steroid pack for me and said I would be fine. I also went to his knee replacement boot camp the day after I went home from the hospital started pt For 5 straight days in a row, 5 hrs a day. Now we did get a lunch break, and 2 15 minute breaks. I would come out look green. Needless to say, I will not be doing that this time. And no I am not going back to the same surgeon. I am praying for a much better outcome this time. I was in a motor vehicle accident in 2015 and as a result of that had a cervical fusion and a lumbar fusion. So the last few years have been rough. Question I have a lot of burning and pinching around my knee hoping that will resolve with the new knee.

@Revision lefty Sounds more like you were trying to become a Navy Seal, than just got a knee replacement. That sounds like total abuse! You survived that, your revision should be a piece of cake.

@Revision lefty no wonder your knee was left unstable :unsure:, as @Rick951 suggested, it was indeed total abuse of the knee, I'm now 8 months post surgery, to be honest I did very little PT, and am very happy with my results. I'm sure if you keep PT to a minimum you too will find your recovery much easier, don't let anyone "bully" you.
Make sure you mention the burning and pinching to your new surgeon.
Keep us posted with your progress. :flwrysmile:

@Revision lefty - You may as well start now, learning about a more gentle way to rehab your knee. It's different from what happened to your first TKR and it should help to geive a more reliable result.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

The surgery date is coming fast, I’m concerned I had a low back fusion L4. Still have back pain, praying my back can handle the TKR and that life will be better after surgery. With a new knee that I can trust.

Hi revision lefty! This revision surgery sounds like many of my fears coming July 16. I read many replies here and agree with everyone. Physical therapy for me was a nightmare. I am with you in spirit. Hopefully I can make them not hurt me so badly but the advice here to you not to allow them permission is a great idea. Best of luck to you. Get your ice machine ready. It helps a lot! Please keep us posted with how you are.

I also went to his knee replacement boot camp the day after I went home from the hospital started pt For 5 straight days in a row, 5 hrs a day. Now we did get a lunch break, and 2 15 minute breaks.
That's unreal! The day after getting home from the hospital, patients need to be icing, elevating and resting, and only taking short walks around the house! That surgeon is torturing his patients. All doctors take the oath to "first do no harm"; that doctor is harming every single patient by sending them to his torture camp.

After a major surgery, our bodies need to recover, along with our knees, and being forced to suffer through 5 hour torture sessions when our bodies need to rest and recover is inhuman, IMHO. I'm glad you left that doctor behind, and found another. But remember, even if this new doctor says you must do PT, you have the choice not only to not do it, but if you do go to PT, you have the choice of when to start it and what limits you'll put in place as to what you will and won't do.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to be much more vocal this time. And I have a better understanding of things. They really scared me last time thinking I only had 6 weeks to get my range of motion back. This time I know better.

I was scheduled for surgery July 9 It was cancelled due to cut back on beds needed for virus I am now scheduled for July 23 Got my fingers crossed that it happens I live in Florida

Hello again Revision Lefty. I pray that your anxiety eases. My revision is in eight hours and understand your fear.
I personally believe many physical therapist are on a power trip. I spoke with one today who said that my doctor wanting four times a week was way more than anyone needs and may bring on more harm, stating once a week in pt and home as you can is enough as long as you make progress with normal activity. He also said that anyone who feels you have to be in pain to get well is someone you need to get away from
Good luck. Thank

Hello. I received your message but cannot figure out how to set up my post op thread. But I did not want to ignore your kind comment. Be sure you have a potty chair. We thought we had one and don’t. I won’t lie to you, this surgery is the one from hell but I believe it’s PT that expects so much. When sitting I can force my knee with tremendous pain but get to 90 degrees. I hope when they get you up, they support your foot and leg.
Take care and if you ever want to talk, I am here for you. Prayers are daily for you. What is your date again?? I’m with you in spirit. Thank you for being supportive and I suspect my next comment will find us at post-op. Mamie is my real nickname.
Mamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member