BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Revision knee surgery next week

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gertieprickles, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Gertieprickles

Gertieprickles new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a RTKR in July 2017 but sadly it hasn't worked. It would seem that when the arthritic knee was removed, so too were some ligaments (can't remember their name). Normally patients don't notice the ligaments are missing. Unfortunately my knee did.

I've had to wear a large leg brace since August 2017 as my leg is very weak and has a considerable bend on it from the knee - so much so that I can't put my foot flat on the floor.

I'm due to have a hinged revision knee replacement on March 19th. I've been told it could either be a one stage or a two stage replacement. Any advice, tips, words of wisdom as I'm not looking forward to it.....

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had problems and need a revision.

I think @Pumpkln has a hinged implant, she’ll be along to talk with you.

Best wishes for your revision!

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Gertieprickles
    Sorry to hear you need a revision.
    As Jockette mentioned I have a hinged knee. My knee is stable, much better than the unstable painful primary TKR.
    You will be happier having a stable knee.
    Why are they thinking a two stage revision?

@maryo52
    Recently had a revision for an unstable knee, before that she was wearing a knee brace.

All the best with your upcoming revision,

4. Gertieprickles

Gertieprickles new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pumpkin - I've no idea why it might be a two stage. It was just something he said could happen.

My knee is worse now than it was with the arthritis. I'm hoping this hinge will work as my consultant said that knee revisions are not as good as hips. Words you really want to hear !!!!

5. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Dear Gertiepickles. I have nothing useful to add about the hinged review except 2 things
    Firstl, what a tough time you have had. Arthritis type symptoms following surgery and the disability is hard to bear.
    Finally, everyone needs courage to undergo this surgery. Fear of the unknown is powerful. The only comfort you have is the professional opinion of experts and a belief that you can achieve a better outcome than the reality you currently have.
    Best wishes for surgery and that the outcome exceeds your expectations. Xxxx

6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Regardless of wether revisions are better or worse, you should be much better off with your hinged revision than you are now.

7. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My implants loosened after 8 years. The knee was lousy all that time. I wore a rigid brace, for the same reason you describe. It wanted to bend inward, which it as doing before my knee replacement and the surgeon really didn't fix. My knee is straight now and I'm thrilled. You might ask the reason for the possible two stage revision.

• Like Like x 1