Revised PKR to TKR Revision is done

Dizzy, you are so right. What makes me swell one day does not always remain that way the next day, I have a recumbent bike. I ride 10 minutes 3 times a day. It actually feels good but some of the others hurt one day but not the next. My swelling is totally unpredictable.A mind of its own.

Take care!

Howdy Revision Lefty!
I have the same issue at 9 weeks. You likely overdid. I took a telephone conference call through FaceTime and did not want them to see me in bed. Two hours my legs were hanging down and swelling was so much worse. I imagine from what you're saying, that the walk in the mall, riding 3 hours in the car and shopping for glasses was way too much for your delicate knee. After my overdue, I stay down with leg in the air and ice non stop for 2 days. You should rest your leg. We drive 3 hours to my doctors but we have an SUV. I sit in the back seat with leg elevated and with ice. Can you do that as well, when traveling more than an hour? I believe it would help you.
Stay safe out there!
Mamie

Hello everyone, I threw my back out last week and was in bed for several days. Now my left leg the one with my revision, when I lay down the top of my thigh on the left is going numb, pins and needles. Any thoughts, it’s been a rough week.

It could still be related to your back. Have you tried changing positions to try to find one where your leg is not numb? Are you elevating your leg when you are lying down? If so then try not elevating or vary the height of elevation. You could also try a chiropractor. They can check to see if your back is causing the numbness. They can do a massage of the area that may help the numbness.

Thanks very much newly bionic, I’m going to my Neuromuscular therapist on Thursday hoping this will help. My TKR recovery was going well and then my back starts to act up. I had a reevaluation with Pt last week my flexion is only at 108, my extension is normal. Seems like I’m having a tough time with the flexion. I do have a bad back, I had a Lumbar fusion at L4, in 2018 and now have trouble with my SI joint on the right side. I had a lot of pain in my left knee before the revision, nerve pain and pain from it just being unstable. I’m nervous because of the numbness and pins and needles. Thanks all for being so supportive, I think I’m starting to get the post op blues. God Bless everyone and you are all in my prayers.

flexion is only at 108
There is nothing wrong with a flexion of 108, at 2 months post op. As you heal your ROM will increase even more. Mine improved in my second year and even in my third, which proves there is no window of opportunity.

Hello everyone, so my knee seems to be doing well. Although it swells up if I do too much!
But my low back is killing me, I did have a lumbar fusion in April of 18. But the last few weeks have been terrible? I made an appointment with my back surgeon, any thoughts? Is it my knee gait?

Have you checked your shoes for uneven wear? Do you have a lift in your left shoe? Does it need to be changed? Just some ideas that could cause a problem.

Good evening, I hope everyone is doing well. So I would like some advice, I’m still having major issues with my low back seeing my back Dr at the end of the month. Wondering if my new knee and gait are affecting my low back? Also I’m only at 111 degrees of flexion at 12 weeks? Does a revision take longer to get better flexion?Also I feel completely de-conditioned I started back on a diet I was doing before surgery it’s low carb, low fat high protein 1000 calories a day wondering if that is also hindering me right now. Thoughts from anyone? Thanks

The last twelve weeks you’ve progressed from a walker to a cane to nothing at all. Your gait changed from the early days to where you are now. Concentrate walking heel to toe. Your whole body has gone through changes. Have you tried to use a heating pad on your back for now until you get back to your doctor?

Happy Sunday everyone, I pray everyone is doing well in their recoveries. For the last week I have a new issue and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it. On my left leg the same leg as my revision of my knee, I having pain in my Achilles’ tendon. It started out as a feeling of a blister on the back of my heel, now it’s a sharp pain when I strike my heel. I told my Pt about it, we did some stretching and it feels worse. Any thoughts?

I'd be inclined to leave your Achilles tendon alone. Let it rest and heal.
You're doing well and it would do no harm to your knee's progress if you stop PT for a few weeks.

You have plenty of time for ROM to continue to progress, since it can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after surgery.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM anyway - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain.

Good evening, I pray everyone is doing as well as can be expected. I’m 5 months post op my left knee revision. Been having a lot of lumbar back pain, got an MRI and some changes nerves being aggravated so I’m scheduled for some injections. I’m also changing up of my pain management medication, coming off Lyrica which did help my nerve pain, but mentally was not good and I was in a constant fog. For the last few weeks my knee has been swelling up and just not feeling as good. Prior to this my knee was feeling pretty good, also my right knee seems pretty painful I have kneecap replacement on that knee in 2010. Getting a little down in the dumps. It’s been a rough few years, cervical fusion in 2017, lumbar fusion in 2018 and left knee revision replacement in July 2020. Any thoughts? Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I’m sorry your knee isn’t feeling well right now. Have you increased your activity recently? At 5 months you’re not quite halfway through this healing process and our knees can sometimes be quite the drama queens if they don’t like something we did. I did see a lot of improvement in my second year post op, just to say things can improve for quite a while yet.

I have kneecap replacement on that knee in 2010.
Does this mean you had a Patellofemoral replacement back then? If you give us the date we’ll add it to your signature.

I hope things will settle back down for you soon.

Good morning yes, Patellofemeral replacement in Oct 2010. My activity has increased slightly, I’m just so nervous. I’m starting to feel some of the pain I had prior to the revision from everything moving around from the instability. I was praying that was gone.

Thank you for supplying us with that date. I added to to your signature.

Good evening Happy New Year to everyone. Well I’m not off to a great start this new year. Having a good deal of swelling in my revised knee. Pain and nerve pain in my thigh area, same pain I had prior to the revision. I’m seeing my surgeon January 28, and want to be prepared with all the right questions. I also have issues with my low back L3-S1 currently under going injections to calm that down. I felt good up until a month ago and it’s been down hill since, I’m even feeling a little instability which is scaring me. I stopped home Pt the end of November, wondering if I should attempt to go to out patient pt for more strength. Right now between my back and knee not very active getting depressed also nervous about going to Pt because of Covid-19 I’m in Pennsylvania and are cases are up. Any words of wisdom are most appreciated. Thanks

I’m sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee and back. While cases of COVID are high near us, the good thing is that all healthcare personnel are now getting the vaccine. Hopefully it will be less likely that you would catch COVID at an outpatient PT especially if they are screening all the patients every time they come for a session.

You could try to do some exercises at home starting very gradually and slowly to see if that helps to rebuild some muscle that you may have lost.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom